Zune. Worth it?

tinncann25

Diabloii.Net Member
Zune. Worth it?

Im thinking about treating myself to the microsoft version of ipod, the Zune. Its really nice with its 30GB and all the features of the ipod plus its file sharing capability. However when i looked it up on pricegrabber, i got a 10 dollar cheaper price on ipod. Not much of a difference and i dont want to give into the ipod monopoly.

What do you guys think? Any experiences with either mp3 players? Got another cooler one? =P

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
I was actually in the exact spot you were right now in that I didn't want to buy into the ipod monopoly, but if you want my opinion now, I'd have to say go with the ipod. I love my ipod and I couldn't ask for anything better. I don't wish to imply it's better to go with the product that you know everything about and won't malfunction rather than something that is still "new" and unexpected.

A friend traded his iPod in and got a Zune, he hated the UI and the sound(there was a tinny sound to it even with good headphones), he turned it in and got another iPod.

Seriously, making decisions like this just to be different is stupid. If you have some other reason by all means go for it, but don't do it just to not be part of the 'in' thing, that is just as bad if not worse.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Only thing I would say is better about the Zune are the WiFi capabilities, and I'm sure Apple will add that soon (if they haven't already?).

tinncann25

Diabloii.Net Member
So anyone actually use the zune? Just wondering if there was something that you disliked first hand.

Well it better run with linux =P.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
ya, depending on your reception and its recording quality settings
but still having an fm tuner is nice for when you get tired of 2000 songs

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
So anyone actually use the zune? Just wondering if there was something that you disliked first hand.

Well it better run with linux =P.
I'd do some more research. I don't think it's going to work.

I've spent hours researching syncing my pocket pc with Linux, and it simply doesn't work. Nor does my smartphone.

ya, depending on your reception and its recording quality settings
but still having an fm tuner is nice for when you get tired of 2000 songs
Unless it is an FM transmitter I'm not interested, I know I like the music I have . . . why take a gamble you know you're going to lose?(DJ talk = lose).

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
fm transmitters are the easiest way to lose qualiy from an mp3 player
get a radio with an aux input and let it amplify

blu3l1ghtn1ng

Diabloii.Net Member
Ipods are amazing, and I'm not just saying that because of their marketing and their dominance. They are the best product out their in my opinion. In terms of reliability, reputation, ergonomics, and style it is the best. The click wheel is a fantastic way to navigate songs. The downfalls are:

1. Low battery life in the 30GB Ipod
2. One way sync i.e. you cannot use your Ipod to move songs or act as a storage
3. Price

If you can deal with the above it is the 100% best choice. The Zune will need more time, and more consumers for it to be completely innovative and useful(lack of better word) because its competitive edge is simply the wireless transfer capabilities. My advice: get the Ipod or wait.

Bortaz

Banned
It isn't newer if it was really the first 8gb player. The only thing on there that I see neat is the video, but there is no way to output it.

FM recording FTL, crappy sound in poor quality recording of a song edited for radio.
LOL you're such an Apple pimp. I've never seen anyone defend a brand so vehemently.