Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zon and Sorc questions

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by darkdraco, Jul 2, 2008.

1. darkdraco

darkdraco IncGamers Member

Zon and Sorc questions

I got my bowazon to 85. I maxed multishot and guided arrow. and i got 1 skill in each passive except the left column. I Have 40 skill points remaining. What should I do? I havnt played since 1.09d and heard pierce isnt what it used to be so i didnt skill it.

I also have 60 stats remaining. WITH equipment, items and charms i have 118str 280dex 120vit 35ene. Where should i dump the rest? Currently using buriza, have a hellrack too but dont know if its worth wasting str for it.

Another big change from last patch i played, heard orb and thunderstorm suck now. My sorc is 45 with unused stats/skills and I want to make an MF sorc. They say max blizzard and chain lightning, some say orb still good, idk... What do i put points in? thanks in advance

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: Zon and Sorc questions

Zon:

Max valk and if you don't intend to use a bow with the "ignore target defense" mod (like Faith), max penetrate. Have 67% in pierce, so it will be 100% with the Razortail belt (it adds 33% to it), a must for a bowazon. Ignore the fact that a Buriza will offer 100% piercing already, you will probably switch to something better (e.g. Windforce or Faith) when you can afford it. Invest a few points into dodge, avoid and evade until further points won't increase the chances much anymore. I stop when the difference becomes 2% per point. About L10 multishot is useful as well (after bonuses). Once you are hit, you are forced to finish the strafe shots, but all further shots will miss, to MS will be better while being under massive missile fire (e.g. blowgun flayer swarms).

That's probably more than skill 40 points, but you can save 20 points in penetrate and a couple of points in dodge, avoid, evade and MS if you are using a Faith grand matron bow, as it has ITD and adds up to +3 to bow skills from the base bow and another 12 to all skills from the runeword.

Keep enough stats points for a better weapon at a later time which would be Windforce or a Faith grand matron bow, as already said. Another option might be an upgraded Witchwild String.

Check the amazon forum for further information.

Sorc: Frozen orb doesn't suck. It's the cold attack with the best effect/costs ratio and it's very useful in hell mode as an alternative elemental attack for a dual element sorc. Ignore its synergy, it's not worth investing into. For a pure cold sorc, blizzard is the best skill, as you have enough points to max the synergies then which are worth to invest into. You won't have enough skill points to max chain lightning+synergies, lightning mastery and blizzard+synergies, so IMO frozen orb is the better cold attack for a lightning/cold sorc, but on the other hand, blizzballers are said to be useful as well, so it might be similar with CL + blizz. In short: I would use FO, but there might be a working alternative involving blizzard. Check/ask in the sorc forum ;)

3. Malrenn

Malrenn IncGamers Member

I am currently playing an Orb/Chain Light sorc. She is undergeared, as well as her merc. This means liberal use of teleport to get the merc out of deadly situations and lots of hit and run kiting. If you just stand around and try to nuke you will die no matter what your build is. Sorcs are powerful but can be challenging in the grind.

4. darkdraco

ok so max penetrate, and split the rest between dodge/avoid/evade on zon

max orb and cold mastery? and people say dont put any points into energy. at 1st i thought wtf? so do i do anything to warmth or any of the frozen armors?

5. darkdraco

well the problem isnt playing it, i used to do it alot. my problem is i dont know what skills are good with the current patch :p

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A dual element sorc is a bit short on skill points and it's a bit worse for a CL/FO one than for a meteorb IMO, so I usually leave cold mastery at 1 skill point and invest leftover points into charged bolt, another lightning/CL synergy.

Warmth, frozen armor, static field and (of course) teleport are one-point skills and in particular those from the lightning tree will gain huge bonuses from equipment anyway. For example, my CL/FO sorcs from the last seasons had enough +skills and (from skillers) +lightning that they could teleport endlessly, as their mana consumption was lower than the replenishment, without using Insight on a merc.

One point of energy adds two points of mana, that's all. It's more efficient to get additional mana from equipment which is quite plentiful.

7. Malrenn

Malrenn IncGamers Member

Read the first sentence lol. Orb/C Light FTW!!!