Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

zOMG what about teh teleprots!?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by ProfessionalBerg, Jun 7, 2008.

1. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

zOMG what about teh teleprots!?

Jokes aside, folks. I am seriously concerned with the way teleportation will be handled if D3 goes full 3D (wait, was that a pun?). One of the main advantages of a Sorceress has always been her extreme mobility (let's ignore Enigma this once). I just can't imagine how they can implement the teleport in first/third-person perspective in such a way that it both remains as useful as it was before and actually works in the new viewmode.

Your thoughts?

2. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

Re: zOMG what about teh teleprots!?

See blink from WOW...thats about it...or perhaps a tele to set locations...

3. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

the answer is to remove teleport entirely

4. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Indeed.

If teleport is in, remove stamina. It served no purpose.

If teleport is out, make stamina an important factor to the game (like certain attacks that eat stamina instead of mana, like all barbs skills should imo).

5. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

I wouldn't see this problem occur if the game used an isometric point of view (which I'm pretty sure it will).

I don't understand why so many people seem to take the third person (wow) point of view for granted. It should be obvous that such a pov would kill the claustrophobic feel entirely.

6. ProfessionalBerg

Sadly, these days, the isomeric/topdown view is almost abandoned in RPG's (especially MMORPG's).

7. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

granted there is no guarantee that d3 will be an mmorpg...

8. Kiroptus

err... its quite the opposite, the isometric view KILLS the sense of claustrophobia. Or did you actually felt that when walking through the maggot lair? The maggot lair just seemed like a big tunnel with obstacles blocking your way (bugged goo doors, players, monsters, etc...), it just annoyed you, if it was in third person it would actually do its job.

The big advantage of the isometric view is how it allows you have a bigger sense and control of the battlefield around you. Which is exact opposite to any claustrophobic feel.

If isometric view is in, fine, I like it as well. But no levels like the Maggot lair. That level is the biggest design mistake presented in a blizzard game. Ever. Make the levels more open because thats when isometric works the best.

9. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Limit teleport to:
    -places you can see
    -places you can attach teleportation gear (set gateways, like traps)
    -casting cool down
    -huge manga cost
    -player takes damage
    -gear loses durability
    or just remove it and implement a slower, more class orientated form of transportation

10. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

Don't agree with this, Diablo 1s dungeons worked nice and claustrofobic in isometric view.

To me this is the most important thing to be kept by the way. Diablo 3 MUST keep the isometric view. And no camera-perspective changing options either. This, coupled with the easy point-click-kill way of playing is what makes Diablo Diablo.
    They can change skills classes etc however they want, as long as they don't change the gameplay.

11. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Diablo1 was claustrophobic and scary because you were always moving slowly (walking) and most of it was spent "underground." You could not out-speed a lot of monsters so you had to be really careful about picking monsters off one-by-one or you'd be swarmed on all sides. Also, if you changed the textures of the outside areas and made them all dungeon/underground textures, then the atmosphere really picks up and the fear sinks in better.

As for teleport, I rarely used it in D1 because it was way too dangerous to be teleporting blindly.

12. Kiroptus

Yeah but diablo1's atmosphere was way better, the claustrophobic feeling was also part of the atmosphere. And there is no place like the Maggot Lair in D1, in every dungeon there isnt a narrow place that can stuck you so easily as it was possible in the maggot lair, every dungeon was actually quite open, the only one that was a little bit more narrow was the catacombs.

And I would also agree that Diablo should keep the isometric view. I also do believe that it could work on third person view or over the shoulder view but it would have a huge impact on how the game is played, Blizzard would have to be extra careful on that.

13. tuxor

tuxor IncGamers Member

I think the one aspect of D1 that always had me on the edge of my seat was just the lighting. EVERYTHING was dark, and it was good that way. Personally, I think if they go 3D, A. I will be sad and B. They could have teleport as a purely directional thing. For instance, I'm walking forward and right click, and I'm teleported 10 yards or however far they want to make it, then I could walk backwards or change the way I was looking, and walk in a direction and I go that way, again, x yards. I think that would be a good way to approach it, as backwards teleing would greatly help for a third person dueling experience I'm only guessing Diablo 3 will be. I do think though, for long distance traveling, mounts of some sort or a specific item to speed the trip up would be great. For instance, if it is Heaven v. Hell like some rumors have claimed, you could buy a set of "fake" angel/demon wings and fly to your destination.

14. cyruseli

cyruseli IncGamers Member

If the game goes 3d, I'm hoping it takes it to a whole new level of 3d hack-and-slashing, and maybe make it more of a adventure game kind of. I think a cool way to put teleporting into that would be to have teleport be charged by how long you hold the right click. So if you want to go further, you have to charge longer, and you could be blindly teleporting since you couldn't realistically see that far. I dunno, that seems like it could at least be cool. Personally I am hoping for isometric view though.

15. tyranius

tyranius IncGamers Member

The maggot lair wasnt a designing mistake? It turned out to be just what they wanted wich is to anger players. The place is supposed to be closed and stuck you a lot. Like everyone else, I also hate Maggot Lair but I cant say its a designing mistake becuz it is NOT.

16. Kiroptus

"While they loved the game they created at Blizzard, it just didn't provide some of the atmosphere that they were hoping for. One level in particular Roper mentioned was the Maggot Lair. In that 3/4 view, it just didn't provide the claustrophobic punch that could have made it perfect. They're hoping that allowing players to look through their character's eyes will provide them with more opportunities to frighten and wow them with new things that pop up around every corner."

Thats a quote from Bill Roper, one of the fathers of Diablo (tho he has gone crazy with HGL), certainly the maggot lair isnt one of the most proud additions to the game and I am sure that Blizzard isnt stupid to realize how the maggot lair is completely unfitting for an isometric-view game.

17. Spazman

Spazman IncGamers Member

this certain question have been itching in my head since 2004 as well my friend.
    not only about teleport though, more in general, how can you keep the "direct-action" alive in a full 3d perspective like world of warcraft?
    well my bet is that only blizzard could do something like this and I've alot of faith in blizzard.

About teleport; I don't mind it being nerfed, its way overpowered at the moment. But how the heck are you suppose to get the same feeling with fireballs, arrows, and so on?
    I dont know, really.

18. ProfessionalBerg

I tried WoW not long ago, and I didn't like it.

The whole "fight 1-3 enemies at a time" thing is really depressing after Diablo's hordes of monsters.

19. Coldsmoke

Coldsmoke IncGamers Member

In pvp teleport is a must for most chars. And to me 1 of the best kills to make in pvp is a kill made by a good telestomp.
    They should keep namelocking and chainlocking workable in D3 if you ask me.

20. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

It wasn't, before teleport was readily available for most characters. Pre-enigma, the pvp was just as great even though it was not the same. Character builds you may think of now that rely on the telestomp (windys for example) wouldn't cut it in the old days, but then again characters that do not rely on telestomp and are now obsolete were viable back then. So some character classes rose to prominence while others fell, but pvp has always been good, teleport or not.