Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zealot Weapon Question (Grief vs Oath)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by RubenusPontius, Oct 7, 2006.

1. RubenusPontius

RubenusPontius IncGamers Member

Zealot Weapon Question (Grief vs Oath)

Hey. I have a little question for my fanatic zealot (for pvm generally but mostly for the Ubers)
    He has the choice between the following two weapons:
    * Grief phase blade - +32% ias/dmg +343/-24% enemy poison res/+13 life per kill
    * Oath eth cryptic sword - +333% ed (30-497)/+14 magic absorb

The rest of his gear is rather standard for fanatic zealots, although I haven't been able to get a HoZ yet.
    -Draculs, Verdungos, Gores, CoH, Guillome's, Spirit Shield, Raven Frost, Dwarf Star, Saracen's Chance

Now, my questions are:
    1) which of those two swords would you recommend (for general pvm purposes and for Ubers)?
    2) which would sell the best on Europe Sc L (since I can only afford to keep one...)?

Thanks for your time.

2. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

1) Grief is the best for pvm. Simply put your average damage is absolutely sick. But while an Oath eth cryptic has higher max, it has a very low min as well so the average damage is not as consistent as Grief.

2) Grief would obviously sell better but Oath can net a decent price as well.

3. RubenusPontius

that was fast, thanks. but just one thing: does it matter that this is a rather low grief vs a rather high oath? the low grief is still better than the high oath?

4. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Well taking into account that you are a Zealot, you are making 5 swings.

A grief pb with your stats will be doing 371 to 378 damage (374.5 average damage ). That is still an extremely tight damage range even after all the damage bonuses are factored in (like zeal, sacrifice and fana mainly), and remember you will swing 5 times.

So the average damage will be tremendous.

For the Oath its different, it does 30 - 497 damage (263.5 average damage). That is a HUGE damage range. With 5 swings from zeal, you can be doing any amount of damage in that range. So for example your first swing might be a sweet 497 damage while the next few hits net a less than impressive 260+ damage.

So in the end the Grief wins out. I would rather prefer much much more consistent damage than having such flunctuating damage figures.

P.S. Grief also has a very useful 20% bonus DS mod in it. Not much but when combined with Highlords (assuming 30%), Goreriders (15%) and Guillimare's face (15%), that is 80% DS right there. That means, that you are dealing deadly strike (double damage) 4 out of 5 times. Marvel at the potential damage figures, it can go insane. :jig:

An Oath can only manage that at 3 out of 5 times.

5. RubenusPontius

thanks a lot for the extensive reply! Obviously, I'll stick with the grief...