Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zealot Troubles

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Serdash, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Zealot Troubles

I've read Cyrus's guide on the zealot, plenty of great information there. I've just had some equipment issues as of late. I've got the following possibilities.

I can keep my resistances at 90/90/90/90 in hell, with a 5 FPA Zeal with a Baranar's Star, and maintain roughly 24% Damage Reduction.

I could also have 75/75/75/75 resistances, 4 FPA Zeal with a Baranar's and roughly 45% damage reduction.

Both of these are of course with max blocking.

So onwards to the problems. First, which one would be best? If I go the 90/90/90/90 resist all route and whatnot, I'll have an insane block rate. 82% From HoZ and 20% from GA, that's 102% blocking. Combined with a max holy shield that's somewhere in the range of 135% chance of blocking. With that I could maintain max blocking with about 125 dex, which leaves a lot of room open for vitality. Thus with more vitality I could take a few more shots and not need that extra boost in damage reduction from a Shaft.

Now, if I go on with using Shaft instead of Guardian Angel I'd be having to toss on some more dex, and have less vitality, not to mention more damage taken from elemental hits, and with the way some ranged elemental attackers work in this game I don't know if that's an amazing idea.

So here are the possible setups.

Rockstopper(Um)
    Baranar's Star(Shael)
    Guardian Angel(Um)
    Herald of Zakarum(Perfect Diamond)
    String of Ears
    Gore Rider
    Dracul's Grasp
    Mara's Kaleidoscope
    Ravenfrost
    Rare 11/28/11/11 Fire/Lightning/Cold/Poison Resist Ring

Or

Rockstopper(Um)
    Baranar's Star(Shael)
    Shaftstop(15IAS/15Max Jewel)
    Herald of Zakarum(Perfect Diamond)
    String of Ears
    Gore Rider
    Dracul's Grasp
    Mara's Kaleidoscope
    Ravenfrost
    Rare 11/28/11/11 Fire/Lightning/Cold/Poison Resist Ring

Something is telling me the second option is better, but something about the first one I like as well.

Input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Unless i'm blind i do not see mana leech anywhere on that setup. Unlike 1.09, 1.10 gives mana burn attributes to minions as well and the amount of mana they drain is usually your entire bulb which WILL affect a zealot even though it costs 2 mana. A holy shield will also cost you 35 mana to cast.

3. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Mana potions are sold in vendors, I forgot to add that I could switch in a Gloom's Trap for the belt in either of those setups. The original plan for this Zealot was going to be an Amn'd Lightsabre(LS has a 4 FPA Zeal with fanat as it is, so the Amn was a nice choice, but then I got a hold of a BSTar and switched my weapon plan.)

4. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

my zealot is Lvl ** using

Andy's (26//10)
    200 ed% uped G-angel
    323//167//4//15 Nord's
    pdiamond Zak (195)
    R-Frost
    9% carrion wind
    Gore
    Dracul's
    Set mithiral coil
    and a rare ammy +1 pally skill, 6 ml, 17 resist all (resist 80//40//60//95 in hell)

Now with your items

Rockstopper = fine
    Baranar's = not my choice any more but it'll do
    G-angel = if you hit//leech fairly well you shouldn't need the dr%
    Zak= DUH!
    String//Gloom= as pointed out get mana leech somewhere! That said I'm planning on having verdungo's (just for when you're swarmed) here as soon as i can do with the 10 resist (ie: find an um)
    Gore= GJ
    Dracul's = GJ
    R-Frost= GJ

Mara's= skills arn't that important so if you can find something with ml//or resist+dex//str//life that would be better IMO
    Resist ring= same sorta deal as mara's

In summation (sp) GET MANA LEECH 75 ish all resist + mana leech > 90 with no mana leech

5. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Why not keep both? Just keep the other setup in your inv. and switch when your dueling melee/caster.

6. memememe173

I always assume PvM unless I see PvP

7. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Yeah, sorry I forgot that part. I come from the SPF so I don't do a whole lot of dueling.

I COULD keep both in my inventory anyways. Then pull out what I need for going up a big pack of magic users or a pack of hard hitters, but I'd much rather keep that room open for charms/picking up things.

8. memememe173

Start crafting blood ammy's like crazy...

but as i said befor it would be better (in this case) to have a more balanced set-up 10-20dr,70-90 resist, and mana leech then 1 extreme

*hurray 300th post

9. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Take off the mara's for a highlords maybe? That will give you decent increase attack speed, resist to prolly the most important element (lightning), plus 1 to skills, and deadly strike to go with your Gores. =D.

My PvM zealot uses:
    Nords tenderizer (shael)
    Shaftstop
    Griswolds honor (vortex shield, three diamonds)
    Crown of thieves (gaze looks sucky)
    Thundergods Vigor
    Hellmouth
    Gore riders
    Highlords wrath
    Carrion Wind
    Raven frost

So i actually have absorb to all elements.. lol.. Since the pally is patriach, i also have an assortment of gear in his stash to deal with certain problems, like Lightsabre and wisp projector for Gloams, Prismatic amulet of the whale if i need to put on my guardian angel, Dwarf star to get more fire absorb if needed, Strinkg of ears if i need more DR and life leach, Gaze if i need more DR and mana leach... etc.... fun fun =D

10. XtremetheZealot

XtremetheZealot IncGamers Member

Oh which would be better, Guillames Face or Andys Visage? Guillames has Crushing, lethal strike, and FHR, but Andys has a bunch of nice mods as well. LL, +2 Skills, +20%IAS, +Str.

11. memememe173

all depends on you're needs (i use andys because my g-angel has a 196 str req+it lets him his fastest zeal w/ out socketing at all)

12. Andy225

Andy225 IncGamers Member

My pallydin completely owns

LvL 90 Zealot USEast Ladder

Helm: Andys Visage
    Ammy: Highlords Wraith
    Shield: Ptopaz Zak (why waste an um rune?)
    Armor: Guardian Angel Umed ( I need to upgrade it to hellforge plate)
    Weapon: Shael+Eth 3+ skills Heavens light
    Ring: Ravenfrost
    Ring: Dwarf Star
    Belt: String of Ears
    Boots: Gore
    Gloves: Dracs <-- Best zealot gloves in the game imho..
    17/20/5 Annihilis

With that setup plus about 3/4 inventory of damage/life/resistance charms i ownz0rz all except for iron maiden of course! For PIS I switch to good ole banannas star

13. memememe173

you made it to 90 w/ out mana leech?

14. nutjobie

nutjobie IncGamers Member

wondering

my zealots setup looks like this:

helm: 1.08 gaze
    weapon: schaeffers hammer with shael
    armor: g-angel
    shield: herald of zakarum
    belt: string
    boots: gore rider
    gloves: laying of hands
    amulet: mahim-oak
    rings: raven frost and rare ring with dual leech(8/7), + to mana/life, + to attack rating and +19 all res.

i would like to get better gloves and amulet, but i dont know which ones are best for paladin.

my biggest problem as of now, is resists. i have max resist in normal, decent res in nm, but in hell it really becomes a problem. suggestions?

15. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

For resists I would have to say P Diamond or put an Um in that HoZ. The Mahim-Oak Curio, while a nice amulet, doesnt provide any resistances. Switch that for a Mara's or a rare one with resistances and +skills. Charms are great for resistances also. The resistances you'll probably want to go for in order are; Lightning/Fire/Cold/Poison. Having maxed lightning resist is a must in 1.10.

Nice hijack on my thread, btw. :D

16. pwnsn00bs

pwnsn00bs IncGamers Member

you may want to just use shaft and make up for resitance with charms. My invintory has about 2 rows for charms fro resistance. I use a rare ring with fire res and leach and highlord's for light res as well as raven for cold dmg so fire and light are maxed and cold does ver little, while i still have 65 dr from gaze,soe,shaft. You may need some ias though, i use storm lash and high lord's so i need no extra ias and I'm a mean 4 frame zealot. I suggest you put the points in dex because after you have 1000 plus life your ll will keep you alive mainly.

17. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

The only thing I see missing Serdash is a Highlord's Wrath. The rest both look pretty good.

Takis (El_Greco)

18. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

My set up is close to this -not quite the same - but I cant seem to stay alive past lvl 55 so I can use my Dracs or Razors edge .. Died again this morning at (lvl 54) NM hellforge to FE Hephaesto . 900 life / max block / 90 all resists . Using Ga , COT , Gores , Bazil's vortex , 64 resist ryhme , sigons gloves and belt , Rare mana leech ammy +1 to skills , resist rings . I had about 30 fhr from charms , and 0% Dr . I need a Soe and a Hoz but still PvM Im having some terrible luck as a zealot so far . Killed 4 of them and none higher than lvl 55 . Im about to throw in the towel if I die one more time with a Zealot :hanky: !!

19. nutjobie

nutjobie IncGamers Member

well, i have max lightning res now, and 60% fire res. but i have 8% poison and cold, which just isnt enough. um is damn expensive tho, so i might have to go with a p diamond if i cant get ahold of one.

i also found a rare amulet today, +2 to combat skills (pala), 17/17/17/35 res or something and a little mf, so i think i'll use that instead.

also, is soul drain good gloves to use? laying of hands gives me 50% fire res.

20. graycloud

graycloud IncGamers Member

this is for pvm or pvp?