Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zealot revisited...again

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tarr, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

Zealot revisited...again

Alright. I have decided that I need to take one more try at making the paladin a viable hell character. Here's what I've done so far, (over the past day while the forums have been inaccessible to me.)

I socketed my HoZ. I have an UM rune I thought I'd put in it, or at least a Pdiamond, depending on what happens.

I socketed my Vamp Gaze. Again, considering UM, to take care of resists, or else this jewel:

Shadow Whorl
    Jewel
    Required Level: 25
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0x5a640008
    +5 to Strength
    +2 to Minimum Damage
    Fire Resist +9%
    Lightning Resist +36%
    Cold Resist +9%
    Poison Resist +9%

LN resist, with my gear, is my lowest and most vulnerable, so it fits quite well.

I also picked up a second Ko rune in the cow level, along with a Naj's Light Plate (whee) and considered upping and socketing a guardian angel. If I um (or PD) the shield, and um or use this jewel in the gaze, I can probably reach close to 90 all resists. Is it significantly more useful than having 75? Also, if I guess accurately, the upped GA would have about 1300 def, nearly 1k more than my lionheart.

Anyway, I've already socketed but not used the sockets of the Gaze and the HoZ. Any thoughts?

2. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Always put diamonds in shields, never Um runes. The extra 3% of the rune is nothing. If you really have to, put it in your vamp gaze or armour. But personally I prefer Um runes in runewords. When you get right down to it, you can solve your important resistance issues with the low level runes Ral, Ort and Thul. That might not be as impressive as using an Um rune but it is very cost efficient. Especially if you consider that most of the time your char is lacking just one or two of the resis and not equally in all of them.

As for 90% Resis vs 75%... Well, it's not bad to have 90% but personally I found I don't really need that. Sure, it makes gloams completely worthless but I never died to them with 700 life and 75% LR so I don't really need that. What might help more if you're having problems vs gloams is to keep a 4 Ort armour in your stash so you can switch to that in case you meet convicting gloams.

That jewel is definetly pretty good, I would put that in my shaftstop. Definetly in something I'd use often.

I wouldn't advise upgrading your guardian angel simply because of how much it costs vs how little you gain. With 75% blocking and some DR you are already very safe vs physical attacks and the little bit of extra you get from defence is probably not worth the lem rune, imho.

If you have an Ist rune I'd suggest to use that and your lem to make a delirium for your merc. That makes pretty much every build viable and even easy to get through hell.

3. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

I'd have to disagree with fishy's view on the um rune. 3% isn't much, but it is a space in your inventory that could have been put to better use. Nothing wrong with a p-diamond, but if you've got nothing better to do with the um rune then go for it.

4. robdylan

robdylan IncGamers Member

My Zealot is currently in Act 5 Hell and doing fine on players 2 - not sure if you're trying to do more than that. My gear is hardly Uber:

Gaze, Duriel's, Nord's (Shael), Anceint's Pledge Kurast Shield (started with +22 all res), Tgod's, LoH, Gore Rider, RavenFrost, Rare Ring with res all and 9% ll, magic ammy with 21 Res all and 3% ml.

Got a bunch of charms (none of them really good. 1 skiller for each Pally tree and a bunch of others to make up resists). My resists in hell are all maxed.

Skills - 20 Sacrifice, 20 Zeal, 20 Fanat, 7 Vengeance, 14 Holy Shield, 1 Conviction + all pre-reqs at level 86.

Act 2 Might Merc with Stealskull, Arioc's and a Holy Archon Plate. Found an eth Reaper's Toll, though, which I will start to use.

This guys is my favourite character! Nord's is such a cool (literally) weapon - freezes everything. Makes a huge difference. Sure, my total damage isn't marvellous (which is why I play at max p4, but usually p2) but if all you want to do is reach Patriarch, there's nothing wrong with this build. Definitely a "viable hell character", IMHO, and I'm not a great player by any means!

5. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

try a popsicle(a holy freeze pally) i started a practice one for the meele blues tourney(hey its my first ever HC char) i played him under the reqs of the meele blues rules till late act 2 just to see how he would do. then i decided to twink gear onto him to make him more powerfull in mid act 4 right now. hes the most fun ive had with a pally in a long while :D .
    he is lvl 27 and uses Briggins bonnet, the eyeof etlitch(6%LL), steelclash, T-witch, The Generals tan do li ga, Bloodfist, mandal heal(7%ML), nagel 65 ar
    hsarus boot/belt combo
    defiance merc
    does 108-225 damage sooo yea make a popsicle theyr good fun
    tandoliga is a awesome often overlooked weapon it has *50% slowing and that plus the holy freeez gosh darn its good almost 95% slowing

6. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

@Nightfish: No Ist rune, thus no delirium. I just picked up a new merc, having ditched the rogue I painstakingly levelled to 90 since it seems like she's stupid compared to 1.09, where she *always* stayed out of harm's way and alive. Now she feels the need to charge into the middle of packs of enemies and get killed. So I got a might merc. I really don't have anything else to do with the Um, I'm not going to be using many more runewords because I don't have any luck whatsoever finding high runes. Highest I've ever found was a Mal, on battle.net, and the highest I've ever gotten from any hellforge quest was an um.

@necrolemming: That lionheart is only slightly more defense than the one I'm using. I've been quite fond of it but I'm also tired of it. As for t-gods, no I'm not wearing one. I have a perfect SoE for a belt, the only t-gods I have is used by my zon. My b.net pally wore tgods for tanking MSLE in 1.09 (he was the only char I ever saw on b.net that could tank them without pots.) The chance to cast lifetap...no comment. I don't have Dracul's. I'll never have an exile. I'm SOL ain't I? :)

7. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I used Stone Archon Plate on my Fanazealer and it was fine. If resists are problem, make a Gloom armor. If I am not sure what armor to use, I use Skullder's Ire or Tal Rasha's Guardianship (MF pwns).
    With LoH, Ravenfrost and Pdiamonded HoZ, your fire and cold resistance are enough, so it is probably better to socket Pdiamond into shield and ORT into helm (or that sweet jewel).
    Talking about the Guardian Angel, it's probably overkill to have 90% resistances, the only situation when 75% are not enough are Gloams, but TGod helps a lot if you can switch to this belt just for the area where they spawn.

8. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Depending on your play style, it may not be overkill. The difference between 90% and 75% is hugh under the most needed situations.

Most people don't care poison res, which I never understand, it saves you if you were hit by the bugged damage.

The only res can be less than max is cold since ravenfrost is standard for almost all build, and cold is never that big deal in PvM.

Um in shield is more of a show off, however; completely agree with NF.

9. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

OK, let's pretend for just a minute, that I'm completely stupid. Wait, we don't have to pretend. :D

Whether I use the um or the diamond, it's pretty well settled that that's what I should do with that, and I guess the jewel will work in the gaze just fine. For the armor...doing a little bit of math (makes my head hurt than 10000 pindle runs in one sitting, no small feat) if I used the guardian angel, and upped it, I'd get about 3k more defense with holy shield on than I'd get now, assuming the guardian angel upped to 1200 def as a hellforge plate.

This really isn't worth it? I looked at Gloom, and I don't want to use it. I could make a stone from a hellforge plate as well, and that's tempting, but I really don't want to use a runeworded armor anymore. Also, the % blocking of guardian angel would push me to 75% in hell. The one thing about Stone that looks very appealing is the huge faster hit recovery.

Edit: Forgot to mention...what about upping and um'ing Shaftstop? I could strip that from the barb and give him the lionheart for now too.

10. DeathMaster

It should get 1.4 def easy, I upped on, end with 1410 def (neither lucky or unlucky). The only thing to worry about is the str req. Way too high for pally.

Worth the up? for a pally, the answer would be more likely "No" than "yes". Let's say a small "maybe". However, if you use it on a barb/dr00d, than yes, up it.

If you use GA, you will need no extra points (just enough for gears) in Dex and enjoy max block (with at least one points in holy shield). It is also good vs act boss, since it boost AR vs Demons.

11. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

I've already got the STR for any armor, so I'm not worried about that. Stat placement is less than perfect on the pally but it's still good enough to make do.

I'm pretty much positive I'm going to up either GA or SS and um it, so which one overall would you all suggest?

12. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

Stone is a Great Armour and one of the best uses to an UM rune.

Never forget the Clay Golem, very good against Bosses with the slow effect.

High Defense, 60 FHR, 15 Resist All, +Life, +str...

Nice package to me :D

13. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Huge FHR is nice, but not as nice for zealot as for some other characters because zeal is not interruptable.

For the GA discussion I agree with Deathmaster - it depends on your play style and preferences. For me, I played an avenger lately with 95% resistances and fanazealot with 75% resistances. Life leech and high physical damage of the zealot was high enough - lower resistances didn't matter most of the game.

14. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

I have an upped um'd GA and i love it, although my zealot right now doesn;t wear it cause stone is a little better. No matter what i would say Pdiamond in the HOZ, waste of an um.

15. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

Let's pretend that someday, I'll find a Stormlash and a Dracul's Grasp, and wanted to do p8 baal runs. Would the shaft or the guardian angel prove more useful, upped and um'ed?

16. DeathMaster

Upped Umed GA gives you:

1. better/faster block, so you don't have to spend any more points in dex, means more life which is always nice.
    2. 90%+ res which makes any elemental but magic damage laughable (if you use T-god too)
    3. +1 all skills
    4. great AR vs Demons
    5. good def, not as good as good runeword, but good def as it is.

upped Umed shaftstop gives you:

1. 30% PDR which make physical damage less painful.
    2. okay def

I'd go for upped GA myself.

17. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

Kind of what I was thinking...also between Gaze and SoE I have 35% PDR already, so shaft would make it 70% but it seems elemental damage is far far far more hurty on baal runs than physical.

18. DeathMaster

PDR is capped at 50%, so in this case, shaftstop is waste.

19. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

Really? Was it higher in 1.09? I seemed to remember it was.

Contemplating going ahead and doing all the stuff mentioned...lem, ko, 2 ums, guardian angel and that jewel are all sitting on the pally waiting for me to proceed. I'm going to do HoZ last so I can decide if the extra 3 all resists will be worth the use of the um...keep in mind I don't own many shimmering charms. Like 2 smalls and that's it. So every little bit can help, especially if I go for 90 all.

20. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

If you're worried about both high defense and good resists, take a look at 'Smoke' and 'Gloom'. Gloom requires an Um rune so it might seem a bit pricy, but it comes with LOADS of both defense and resists, as well as crowd control. 'Smoke' doesn't give the best defense (maybe half again as much as your Lionheart at best) but the resists are stellar. You give up the stats, but nothing you're using seems to be so heavy that it makes a big difference. Also, maybe I just missed it but what are you using as a weapon?