Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zealot Question

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by SgtPPS, Mar 14, 2004.

1. SgtPPS

SgtPPS IncGamers Member

Zealot Question

Ok just found a heavens light for my pally. so now i have stormlash and the heaven's light and b. star but just wanted to know if i have maxed fant then I would need 25% more ias for heaven's light right ? what about b.star ?

also so far i am 50th lvl with maxed zeal and fant. 1 point into the skills needed for me to get vigor. Now what should i max out next ? Should I invest into charge ?

Thank You

2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

With level 20 fanaticism (35% EIAS):

Heaven's Light: 45% Extra ias on top of the ias bonus on the weapon already
    (65 total)
    Stormlash: 15% extra ias on top of the ias bonus on the weapon already (45 total)
    B-Star: 40% extra ias on top of the ias bonus on the weapon already (90 total)

Edit-As far as extra skill points go, max out holy shield. A pally without max block is a dead pally especially in melee and pallies have the luxury of pumping this skill and saving themselves many points in dexterity. At level 20 it should give you around a +35% chance to block which with something like eg. herald of zak (don't know exact numbers) this should require no more than 100 or so dex for max block with maxed holy shield. As far as the weapon choice go with stormlash as it is THE zealot weapon in 1.10 (yes even better than BoTD as it does not have static field or crushing blow which are awesome with the fast zeal cycles) and pump up conviction at the end to deal with physical immunes or black souls (95% physical resist base nearly triple base immune).

3. SgtPPS

SgtPPS IncGamers Member

Thank you for the ias figures. Ok now does anyone know hoe much dex would be needed if i have maxed holyshield and am using Storm Shield ? I would love to have a HoZ but i play on the east ladder and your not going to get a HoZ for any thing cheaper than 2 shakos due to the massive hammerdins on the east ladder the only way to get it cheaper is if you find someone that doesnt know the trade value or find one your self. Which of course I havent been able to do.

4. Omikron8

A HoZ is nice but there are many cheaper alternatives that are just as good or even better (flame away). One significant one that comes to mind is an elite or high exceptional (akaran targes and rondaches for example have too low of a block for any blocking use) pally shield with +30 or more all res auto mod on them. If these are 2 socketed you can put in shael eth for rhyme and end up with a shield that has more resistances than a HoZ (yes you can put a pdiamond in the HoZ but most people leave them clean for stupid trading purposes), as well as cannot be frozen, 40% faster block rate (more than HoZ), as well as a nice amount of magic find and gold find (can't hurt). The only downside is lower shield defense which shouldn't matter that much with maxed holy shield.

Another choice that shouldn't be too hard to attain if you play enough characters through nightmare hellforge is the sanctuary runeword Ko+Ko+Mal. I made this in a 3 socketed sacred targe which had a +25 all res automod. The runeword gave the shield a total of +80 all res (the runeword gives variable bonus of +50-70 so a potential of +45 base and 70 would give you +115 all res !) as well as a nice defense (380 or so), 20% fhr, decent blocking/rate and slow missiles (handy for firing squad ranged mobs). The Mal Rune (or 2 Ums to transmute to Mal) may seem expensive but i have seen people WAY overvaluing any HoZ in the 170-200% defense range at some ridiculous values like ist+.

Anyways these are two cheaper shield choices that i believe are just as good or better than HoZ, good luck.

5. SgtPPS

SgtPPS IncGamers Member

actually I was thinking about making sanctuary. which shield would be good for better to make sanctuary in but has good blocking ? the resist are going to be the problem and I need them because right now I am still in nm i am 66 lvl with poor resist except lr is maxed due to small 10 lr smc's and I know there is no way I will be able to survive in hell with negative resist. But my set up is not to bad on several ocasions in 8 player baal runs in the throne before we get to baals friends I have been the tank and the only one to survive.

here is my set up so far:
    vamp gaze
    plague bearer ( stormlash when I reach lvl 82 )
    hands of brock (dont laugh only until i can use draculs)
    soe
    ravenfrost
    rare 9% ll with low resist
    gore riders
    28% resist ammy ( have high lords but need the resist )
    stormguild ( yes i know I need better but it is actually kind of funny i can survive with this lvl 10 shield but my block is max)
    not to bad 34% ll and 6% ml

ps: as far as hoz goes it is crazy. Every day the rates seem to go up I was offering storm shako and occulus for one people responded asking if i can add a mal to it and this is for over the 170% range.... but i even saw the lower percentages going for ist and if it is 190% or greater well its more on the line of soj or hoto which is insane.

6. Omikron8

All the elite paladin shields have good block (over 50% for pally) which is nice considering that all the low end exceptional ones have pathetic blocking (eg. akaran targe and akaran rondache). The sacred targe (elite, 60% base block for pally) actually seems to have the highest natural blocking of any shield in the game! I would put sanctuary in any good all res shield from sacred targe, sacred rondache, zakarum shield or kurast shield. A vortex shield has worse blocking (55%) and has a hefty strength requirement of 148. Now the strength requirement may not seem big but a melee pally in 1.10 truly needs all the vitality they can get. My level ** zealot has almost 300 vitality which gives him around 1400 HP with 90 all res and he still gets worn down quickly in hell, luckily stormlash+life tap from dracul's takes care of that problem :)

edit- Also some serious equipment change recommendations when you get high enough to use stormlash. Dump goreriders and put on war travs (a pair of 30% ones are dirt cheap), the +15-25 to damage gets multiplied enormously by things such as strength, skills and might merc. My own zealot while under his merc's might aura gains over 400 maximum damage with these boots. That and who can argue with a nice boost to mf and 10/10 strength vitality bonus. A stormlash with highlords will annihilate enemies well enough with the rapid static field + crushing blow (stormlash 33%) + deadly strike from highlords. Once you make that sanctuary (you said you have mal) in a nice shield put on the highlords. I would swap string of ears for verdungo's coil (even a crappy one will give you over a 100 life bonus as well as fhr/DR %) and put on a tal's mask (DR is NOT essentialy for a pvm zealot if you have high life, good res, common sense and dracul's for life tap) for the 10/10 dual leech and 15 more res.