Zealot Idea... whatcha think?

Rey

Diabloii.Net Member
Zealot Idea... whatcha think?

Basically the goal is to have as high of a defense as possible while still killing stuff fairly effectively. I figured the best way to keep the ability to kill is to have a lot of Crushing Blow/Open Wounds.

Here's a good guess at what I'm aiming for:

Skilz
20 Zeal
20 Defiance
20 Holy Shield
20 Blessed Aim
1 Salvation
1 Vigor
Some PreReqs

The Aim is really only there for its passive 5% AR per level since I realized that AR might be a bit of a problem.

Equipment:

Weapon: Kingslayer or Stormlash or Stone Crusher or Crescent Moon

Armor: Duress

Shield: Herald of Zakarum

Helm: Crown of Ages

Belt: Verdungos or String Of Ears

Gloves: Magnus's Skin? Lava Gouts? Soul Drainers?

Boots: Gore Riders

Ammy: Highlord's

Ring1: Ravenfrost

Ring2: Rare Ring - Dual Leech, + life, +mana, + Res... I have one, so thats not an issue.

At this point, I'm not sure what weapon to go with or what gloves to use. I figure that with the build I'm looking at i can fairly easily get 60+% CB and OW which is 3 out of 5 zeal attacks.

Any suggestions/comments/insults would be appreciated... well, maybe not the insults. ;)

+Rey

Edit: Note this is PvM, nonladder. I realized this might be important info!

rachil0

Diabloii.Net Member
Guillames has nice mods for zealots. Maybe swap out crown of ages for it? If you want lotsa DR, you can switch your armor out to shaft. With enough defense I doubt you'll miss the DR, I'd stick with duress.

I'd say stormlash all the way for a weapon.

I'm guessing the paladin uses defiance and the merc uses might?

I'd rather use an offensive aura (fanaticism?) and get a defiance merc. I suspect that will lose a smidge of defense but gain boatloads of offense power. With fanatacism, pitch the blessed aim investment. You can still max defiance for the passive defense boost. Maybe you can strike a balance between zeal and sac, instead of maxing one and skipping the other.

(Max zeal, fanata, Holy Shield, defiance)

sir goatscelot

Diabloii.Net Member
The build is called a Defiant Zealot. Also, the Defiance from a merc, does not synergize with your Hs. So you must run it yourself. If tanking and defence is the idea, you could always go with the Defiant Smiter. Skills would look like this: 20 smite, 20 holy shield, 20 defiance, 20 fana. You could of course get a might merc for a more offensive build..or a holyfreeze for a more defensive posture. There are many ways to build it such as skip fana and use the sacrifice synergy for zeal..u must use a might merc though or your dmg will suffer..also you will need to find some ias weapons and gear as zeal and smite will be slow without fana. Well I have rambled enough lol..just decide what ya like and have fun doing it! :)

rachil0

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't see why maxing defiance would not boost Holy Shield.

The skill description lists a 15% defense synergy for each point invested. I don't disagree that defiance would need to be maxed to capitalize on the synergy, but I would think the aura doesn't need to be turned on. Can't you max defiance and use something more sexy as your paladins aura? Then stack on defiance as the mercs natural aura.

Defiance has no synergies, I don't see the benefit of running it on a player. (Except for slightly higher skill level.. probably 22-24 as opposed to a mercs 18ish).

EDIT: You suggest maxing defiance and fanaticism for the "defiant smiter". Which aura is active? Isn't it fanaticism, and defiance is just maxed for synergizing HS? (this is exactly what I was doing)

sir goatscelot

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry for the confusion as I was looking at it from the original posters perspective, as well as a little from yours and more than likely confused the whole thing lol. As far as which aura you run goes, I would have to say Fana but would switch to defiance with another fana paly in the game. So basically you are correct in what you are doing. I was under the mistaken impression that you were not using defiance at all and was going to use the merc for it and still hope to gain the def bonus.. Anyway, going with defiance merc seems redundant..maybe might or holyfreeze would be the way to go.. Jmho though ;)

Angel_Dusted

Diabloii.Net Member
You may want to try maxing sacrifice - zeal's synergy - instead of defiance, as from my experience the extra defense < extra damage, as it only decreases your chances of getting hit by that much.

sir goatscelot

Diabloii.Net Member
I would more than likely go for Sacr also, but did not want to change the original build allocation too much..currently working on my defiant smiter now but lvling is slow due to the lack of crowd control/ one monster hit at a time deal..

..now back to the original posters questions as I have strayed from them sorry :( As far as weapon choices go, here is a brief and by no means written in stone list:

RazorsEdge, Death Cleaver, Stormlash, Fury, even Fleshripper for style points or just to raise some eyebrows lol Have fun.

hikids

Diabloii.Net Member
FROZEN ZEALOT IS def BUILD? wut my whole life is gone.....................
sorry of the subject anyways i am going to go the wood shed with my 64 frsoty

Bigrob

Banned
instead of maxing defiance, go with sacrfice so u can be more offensive. (monster will die alot faster)

The best offense is the best the defense...

gedda-d-e

Diabloii.Net Member
Rey said:
Basically the goal is to have as high of a defense as possible while still killing stuff fairly effectively. I figured the best way to keep the ability to kill is to have a lot of Crushing Blow/Open Wounds.

Here's a good guess at what I'm aiming for:

Skilz
20 Zeal
20 Defiance
20 Holy Shield
20 Blessed Aim
1 Salvation
1 Vigor
Some PreReqs

The Aim is really only there for its passive 5% AR per level since I realized that AR might be a bit of a problem.

Equipment:

Weapon: Kingslayer or Stormlash or Stone Crusher or Crescent Moon

Armor: Duress

Shield: Herald of Zakarum

Helm: Crown of Ages

Belt: Verdungos or String Of Ears

Gloves: Magnus's Skin? Lava Gouts? Soul Drainers?

Boots: Gore Riders

Ammy: Highlord's

Ring1: Ravenfrost

Ring2: Rare Ring - Dual Leech, + life, +mana, + Res... I have one, so thats not an issue.

At this point, I'm not sure what weapon to go with or what gloves to use. I figure that with the build I'm looking at i can fairly easily get 60+% CB and OW which is 3 out of 5 zeal attacks.

Any suggestions/comments/insults would be appreciated... well, maybe not the insults. ;)

+Rey

Edit: Note this is PvM, nonladder. I realized this might be important info!
I see where you're going and yes, It might work, but it sure won't be as efficient as all the other builds mentioned above...
I like the build but some things that may need your attention:
Your AR will still be low, even with the hidden bonus from BA, therefore, maybe look in to the angelic ring+amulett? This will certainly boost your AR.
Weapon: Crescent moon or stormlash, preferably stormlash, it's fast and has a good chance of striking a static field, a life saver for pvm zealots.
Belt, Vergungo.
Helm, I too would go with gullames face.
Gloves, well, if you lack IAS then go with magnus. Oterwise take a pair with leech or craft yourself a pair of nice CB gloves with good life and str, those are always a great option on a zealot.
And, if your going with High def as your main priority i'd choose Stone RW for armour in a high def (and don't forget good looking) armour. This is if you choose all the other eq that i've recommended, cause if you do, you won't need the extra OW and CB duress gives you.

Don't forget to save every little def charm you see :)

Hope i've been helpfull!
/gedda

batuchka

Diabloii.Net Member
I would go for a cb/ds route and see ow as bonus for PvM :p Razor Edge, Stormlash, Kingslayer, Upped 190ed+ Butcher's Pupil Small Crescent are all the usual suspects hehe. A nice 20ias/10cb/dual leech gloves would be sweet too! I know HOZ is hard to beat but just for kicks a 'Sancuary' Vortex/Kurast with 100+ resists on a zealot could be an alternative :D

Rey

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming!

Stormlash was looking like the top candidate for weapon anyway. I hadn't noticed Razor's Edge though. It will probably depend on what I can get more easily!

As for Sacrifice over Defiance: that would kinda defeat the point! I've made enough characters that are just plain effective, and i wanted this one to be a bit different than the norm. Though, any extra points I had lying around at the end (those infamous 90+ levels that nobody ever gets to) would be going to sacrifice.

I was thinking HF merc to slow everything down so I would have time to not get mobbed (too much at least).

Grobyc

Diabloii.Net Member
Why not wear Exile, that could give you Defiance? It won't be as much than if you put actual points since synergy doesn't work (at least I don't think the bug applies like that), but that would open up some points for another aura, perhaps Fanatacism and your merc could be Might merc with Doom so that could give you defense, slow, and increased damage/IAS. Just seems like it's better off this way instead.