Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zealot Duel setup

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Kincade_D2, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Kincade_D2

Kincade_D2 IncGamers Member

Zealot Duel setup

Hi im currently making a Zeal paladin for DUEL's, i dont really like pvm. I read some of the zealot guide. I have a basic idea, but does this gear sound right?

BotD Zerker
    CoH
    Highlords Wrath (angelic)
    Ravenfrost + BK (take out bk for angelic)
    Verdungos
    Hoz
    Draculs
    Gore riders
    Crown of Ages

Also what ya think i should socket them with?

im maxing zeal and synergy, fanat, holy shield, and rest into smite.

So your comments are welcome :)

Thnx

2. Kincade_D2

Kincade_D2 IncGamers Member

Could anyone plz comment on this or gimme suggestions so i can make this without worrying about screwing up? :)

3. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

A ber or 2 is good, how are your resists?

4. Duy

Duy IncGamers Member

maybe instead of putting the rest of the skill points into smite, put them in defiance for extra defense, it works as a synergy for holy shield.

5. Kaffe

Kaffe IncGamers Member

Ok, I don't know where you duell. But with limitations of rules (euro-pvp) in mind, a paladin is limited to 35% PDR. Otherwise, you just want to get to close to 50% PDR as possible.

Also, if you can afford a BotD zerker, use it. But consider a good ol' Deadly Strike Variant. I just tested a Zealot in Single Player. And getting more than 8-9K AR can be fairly difficult without proper charm base and good gear. One fairly nice options is the following:

- Ethereal HeadStriker (upgraded and Zoded, it's a tad bit slow, but managable for a Zeal/Fana)
    - Angelic's / Metalgrid / Whatever turns you on
    - Ravenfrost + Angelic's
    - Soul Drainer or Dracul's (crafted or rare can go too. This might just be the only spot to put some mana leech in)
    - Crown of Ages (socketed according to your specific needs, ed, ias, res,etc, etc)
    - Stormshield (or alma negra perhaps...)
    - Jeweler's <Armor> of Stability, socketed with ed/fhr jewels. Costs a bundle but with a perfect one you can get 160% ED and 52% FHR from the armor alone. If damage is your thing then it beats any armor.
    - Verdungo's of course
    - Any boots that turns you on (gore riders is still viable, but you can also aim for war trav's, rare or shadow dancers if headstrike does all the DS for you...)

There's a lot of options here of course. If you have a really good charm base, you can safely remove the angelic parts and replace for a dual leech ring or a single leech ring. If you use BotD you might want to consider a second raven, since they add a safe bonus of roughly ~250 AR, 20 dex and a bit of mana. Of course any other ring will do.

Other weapons that can work with a Deadly Strike variant is:
    - Baranar's
    - Azurewrath
    - Nord's
    - Glimmershed
    And a whole lot of others acctually.

Deadly Strike works as such that it takes all damage, even elemental, and doubles it. So basicly, an ethereal baranar's gives a ton of extra elemental damage, a hefty AR bonus and a deasant physical base. Many zealots or "melee only" sometimes neglect resistances.

Azurewrath adds very nice bonuses, is damn fast and adds magic damage (which only has to pass through a 0 resistance, no matter what). Add Deadly Strike on that, and you should see some wonders...

Of course, if you have a BotD, which is fairly godly by it's own right, use it. But you better get a good charm base, because if want an advantage over Deadly Strike variants you need loads of AR and ~50% deadly (gories + highlord's) and good res. to compete with (or rather really outshine) a baranar's / headstriker variant.

Of course, you'll have the range at your side.

And I have to agree with Duy. More than one 1 pts. in smite isn't required. Last time I did that I ended up making a vindi / temp next because I realised it works better than a zealot vs. other classes.

Place those points somewhere else. Shooting up Holy Freeze is a nasty trick but can help vs. some classes. Same with thorns. Defiance is good too, since more def = less chance of getting hit.

One more thing (this will probably buy me some flames) Zealots aren't all that in duells. Many people overrate them. Given, a good zealot who switches between charging in and zealing off effectively, can be very effective vs. almost everyone the zealot suffers from the same troubles as the wolf. Range and versatility.

The kicksin has higher speed than the usual pally when it comes to kicking now a days, and hybrids usually have a nice level trap. The pure MA sin is surely beatable, unless they WW around. The wolves can back up with an elemental attack. The barbs have their WW and so forth. Zealots now deals more damage but that's about it. And with so many enigma users around, be prepared for the challenge to catch them.

Speaking for the zealot is the added damage and defense. It helps a lot. And the auras has always been the paladins strength over wolves.

Hammerdins and V/Ts has always faired better in duells, part from own experience, part from the match-ups I've seen (I played V/T myself for a short while).

So get ready to take some losses but keep in mind that it's just for fun, and that you will have a good zealot at hand when you're done with it.