Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zealer Set-Up - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by SimmoK, Jul 30, 2010.

1. SimmoK

SimmoK IncGamers Member

Zealer Set-Up - Any Suggestions?

Hey hey.

After almost 2 years out ive been convinced by a friend to start up again in a week or so (celebration for finishing my phd!).

I was always a Paladin man back from v1.03 (yes, ive been around a while). The only char I ever got to lvl 99 was a zealer back in v1.06, so I thought it would be a good idea to start off with a modern version of the char I got so accustomed to.

I have read numberous guides (including some good ones on this site) about current Zealer set-up, but I just thought id throw in my interpretation of the optimum set-up. I probably wouldnt be looking to do PvP for a while until I could build up some wealth, so this build is slightly more well rounded, thoughts please! Im definitely out the loop so thought id see if im missing anything obvious.

For some of the item spots ive put a 'cheap' version that will be easy to obtain until I find the 'preferred' items once im back on my feet (EuScL btw).

Helm
    Guillaumes
    CoA

Ammy
    Angelic
    Metalgrid?

Armour
    Stone
    Forti?

Weapon
    Death Cleaver
    Botd BA 400%+

Shield
    Zaka
    Exile Vortex

Rings
    Angelic
    2x Raven

Belt
    Dungo!

Boots
    Upg Gores

Gloves
    IK
    Dracs?

Charms
    Max Dam/Atr

From what I can tell the build in italics would be v cheap to make and would have decent attack rating, defence as well as a large dose of crushing blow and open wounds. The build with underlined items would build on this and have much higher def and dam.

Let have some abuse then guys. What am I missing? :thumbup:

2. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Re: Zealer Set-Up - Any Suggestions?

Wow you got up to lvl 99 in patch 1.06? It must of been easier to lvl up back then. Was this zealer on classic or lod?

3. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Guillaume's > CoA in PvM. You can add Highlord's to your ammy selection. I'd use any gloves besides IK gloves. Laying of Hands are good, especially if you can get an Exile. Other than that, looks good.

4. SimmoK

SimmoK IncGamers Member

Seems a bit of a waste going for highlords when i dont need the extra IAS, and metalgrid gives a good atrating bonus and some much needed resistances.

As for IK gloves, they give a very decent str and dex bonus. Always handy to save points until i figure out perfect setup!

5. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

IAS attack speed [ticks] attacks per second
    0 6/6/6/6/11 3.57
    3 6/6/6/6/10 3.67
    7 5/5/5/5/10 4.16
    18 5/5/5/5/9 4.31
    44 5/5/5/5/8 4.46
    60 4/4/4/4/8 5.2

With Ebotd it isnt a problem but with death cleaver you really do need it for the IAS and for Ebotdz well you wont have a big chance of DS so again highlords would help more so than Angelics.

6. SimmoK

SimmoK IncGamers Member

Yea, depends which weapons I manage to get hold of first really. I should be able to get my hands on a botd BA sooner rather than later hopefully! Because I know the breakpoints it makes me reluctant to have wasted IAS now, lol, thats why I never really thought to use highlords or gloves with IAS! Maybe its just me being stubborn.

7. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

True that highlords gives a big crit mod but its not that great at all. You kill at about the same speed without crit mods. Weapon swinging characters are way more effective with 50% dr and high life for pvm. Including maxing out all resist which is very important.

8. SimmoK

SimmoK IncGamers Member

Yes, hence metalgrid. A nice rare amu would still be better but probably very expensive. Something with +2 pala skills, +20 dex, +life, [email protected] etc. Give me a shout if you find one on EuScL, lol!

9. Tidolwav

Tidolwav IncGamers Member

I have a guide for a zealot that you may be interested in.

I'll just leave this here for you.

1.13 Zealot's Guide to Perfection
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753728

1.13 Zealot's Guide to Mediocracy
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753797

EDIT- But to answer your question I'll say this

Helm
    Guillaumes (decent helmet for deadly strike)
    CoA (The very best for many paladins, and other characters)

Ammy
    Angelic
    Highlord's

Armor
    Stone (Eh, I'd rather have a COH than stone tbh, more versatile).
    Fort For barbs and zealots
    Enigma everything else
    COH Elements

Weapon
    Ebotdz 415% (Can be your main weapon or couldn't up to you)
    Grief PB (again up to you helpful with smiting if perfect 400)
    Deathz (Good weapon all around)
    Fools (Not my favorite, but if it's what you want...)

Shield
    Up'd Hoz Good resistance and stat boost, if used in junction with grief you can smite HARD!
    Exile Vortex Good well rounded shield, considered bm because of life tap
    Alma Negra Nice shield with AR boost

Rings
    Angelic You need this when dueling other zealots and some barbs
    2x Raven everything else
    sorb rings

Belt
    Dungo! 15% DR is a must

Boots
    Upg Gores regular gores are fine too

Gloves
    Magnus Skin IAS and resistance
    Dracs Life tap is considered bm, nice str boost
    Steelrends probably your best bet, depends on your final weapon.

Charms
    Max Dam/Atr Essentially 3/20/20's, but since they're pretty much duped, 3/x/x is fine.
    torch for obvious reasons
    anni yet again

EDIT2- Everything else you need to know about the zealot is in my Perfection guide. Mediocracy is more for meager items UNTIL you get the best.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  10. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

You sure know what you are talking about when it comes to melee characters.

11. SimmoK

SimmoK IncGamers Member

Great guide Tidolwav. If anything im more confused now about weapon choice though. Ive heard from elsewhere that Grief BA should be the weapon of choice for a zealer, what are your thoughts on this?

Also, do you have one handy on your characters so you can do a damage comparison?

12. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

Phoenix shield should be better than Exile, if you can survive with it.
    I would prefer Sacred targe instead of Vortex, becuase of higher block and other stats being basically the same.

Deadly strike and Crushing blow add a lot of dmg, for me Highlord amulet is way better than all other amulets.

Grief (Phase blade, not a berserker axe), BotD berserker and several other (Beast, Death and even Oath) are basically in the same league when it comes to dmg. There is not BIG and noticeable difference.

Dracul's and Exile should not be used together. I would go Phoenix+Dracul's ot LoH+Exile.

I would always prefer Harlequins over CoA - about same DR, more life, MF and more skills. The only advantage CoA has is eventually a second socket.

Lately I am leaning towards Blood ring + Raven for rings.

For my setup I choose String of ears as a belt - only belt with DR and Leech (better than the other belt with DR and Life).

Charms I tend to mix - shimmering, damage, vita and mf to fill gaps.

13. Tidolwav

Thanks I'm glad you like it, I've had more than a few years of research and trial and error. The Berserker Axe is a better weapon than phase blade, in regards to damage. When you're thinking about the +400 (you want perfect) damage, you're actually looking at:
    424 to 471 (447.5 Avg) BA
    431 to 435 (433 Avg) PB
    And one very important thing is the Phase Blade is indestructible. Yes you can compensate the BA with lots of gold or runes, but the end result will be your zeal eating straight through that 26 durability in one duel game if you're active. No joke.
    Durability aside, you're now faced with the damage, as you can see the Grief BA does more damage than Grief PB, ergo the BA is a stronger weapon, but not by much. 14.5 is the difference in damage between the two.
    Apart from durability and damage you will now have to look into Increased attack speed, the Phase blade will be at max IAS with fanaticism, however the Berserker Axe will need IAS gloves to complete it's breakpoint. Which in my honest opinion is a waste of equipment.

BA PROs
    More damage
    BA CONs
    26 Durability
    Needs IAS
    Needs to have perfect IAS on grief

PB PROs
    Indestructible
    No IAS needed with fanaticism.
    Only needs +400 Damage variable.
    PB CONs
    Less damage

Now if you're dueling a smiter, don't expect to win, although you should point out the fact that they're bm vs you, if they want to duel. Just today I was able to teleport on a smiter, zeal him, and then finish him off with smite. Yes there was no go, and yes I did jump him, but the fact remains I was able to beat him. One point in smite is sufficient, the reason they are able to kill you so fast is because of their Combat Skills GC and the 20 in smite.

If you're lucky you'll be able to face a smiter with less damage on their grief, and you will most likely win.

On my last note:
    Indestructible weapons are extraordinarily useful.

And yes I have many weapons handy for any kind of comparison that you may need. Feel free to ask about a certain weapon, via whisper or on my guide.

On another note: Phoenix shield is a horrible idea, if the only thing you're going for is 400% damage, then put on a fortitude and get 300%. You'll get stomped silly with a phoenix shield.

Sorry, but there were just too many flaws in this statement to just skip over.

Shako
    +2 To All Skills
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Life (Based On Character Level)
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Mana (Based On Character Level)
    Damage Reduced By 10%
    50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +2 To All Attributes
    vs
    CoA
    +50% Enhanced Defense
    +100-150 Defense (varies)
    +1 To All Skills
    Damage Reduced By 10-15% (varies)
    All Resistances +20-30 (varies)
    +30% Faster Hit Recovery
    Socketed (1-2) (varies)
    Indestructible

Bold indicates the better stat. Yes Shako has more life than CoA, but you're forgetting very important things. 2 Sockets allows more versatility, 30% FHR, Resistances, Higher Damage Reduced, more defense, indestructible, more skills DO NOT matter on a zealot, period.

Blood Ring
    + (1-5) To Strength
    (1-3)% Life Stolen Per Hit
    +(10-20) To Life
    vs
    Raven Frost
    +150-250 To Attack Rating (varies)
    Adds 15-45 Cold Damage, 4 sec. Duration (Normal)
    Cannot Be Frozen
    +15-20 To Dexterity (varies)
    +40 To Mana
    Cold Absorb 20%

Bold indicates the better stat. Need I say more?

Your SoEs contradicts your lust for life mods.

+150-180% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +15 Defense
    6-8% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)
    Magic Damage Reduced 10-15 (varies)
    vs
    Verdungo's
    +90-140% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    10% Faster Hit Recovery
    +30-40 To Vitality (varies)
    Replenish Life +10-13 (varies)
    +100-120 Maximum Stamina (varies)

Bold indicates the better stat.

MF charms? This isn't a character for magic finding...

Grief, Death > BotD
    BotD > Beast, Oath

I'm sorry, but Beast and Oath are terrible, and I say that with an emphasis on terrible, weapons for a Zealot, let alone any paladin.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  14. JKS

JKS IncGamers Member

Tidolwav,

There quite a few things where I do not agree with you.

- Phoenix and Fortitude work very nicely together if you can survive using both. I am talking for PvM, for PvP I do not have the knowledge to give advices. I do not see how 460% extra damage can be neglected.

- Shako vs CoA. There are basically 3 different cases.
    a) 1.07 Shako vs CoA where Shako wins by a great margin.
    b) 1.09+ Shako vs worse case CoA where I would definately choose the Shako, or at least they are equal
    c) 1.09+ Shako vs perfect CoA - here the CoA is a winner, but to get one, you need to find about 10-15 CoA - not the easiest task if you ask me. I have about 100 TC 87 finds and I have never seen a perfect CoA. It is either 1 socket, or 10% DR or both.

- verdungo vs SoE. SoE is just so much better. DR is the same, verdungo has some crappy mods and basically you have to compare 8% LL with 40 vita. Leech is so much bigger than Vita. You can test that with a char with 500 Vita and no leech - you cannot play comfortably, because you have to drink pots like a fish. Due to the setup of a typical zealot, LL doesn't come easily unless you use BotD. Highlord is a no brainer, Ravenfrost is just too good, Goreraiders also and so on and so on. Usually you only have LL on 1 ring and therefore SoE is a very nice addition.

I agree that Grief and Death are top choices, but even a mediocre Oath is good enough for /p3 just about everywhere. You can comfortably do the Pit at /p8. Beast is also a decent choice, because many people make it anyway to use with other builds. So you can max Concentration, get Might from the Merc, use Beast, and when you get a better weapon, you just respec the char.

15. Tidolwav

If you're talking strictly PvM then why would you need 460% more in the first place? They're monsters... the only reason I would ever see you need tons and tons of damage is if you want to kill the Ubers fast, but with lifetap, it's just not necessary.

a) Harlequin Crest (Shako) -
    +2 all skill
    100% ED
    +40% life
    50% MF
    Where exactly are you going to find a .07 Shako? Even then it still does not outdo the CoA

b) Crown of Ages (worst case)
    +50% Enhanced Defense
    +100
    +1 To All Skills
    Damage Reduced By 10
    All Resistances +20
    +30% Faster Hit Recovery
    Socketed (1)
    Indestructible

vs

+2 To All Skills
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Life (Based On Character Level)
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Mana (Based On Character Level)
    Damage Reduced By 10%
    50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +2 To All Attributes

CoA still has more resistances, it has FHR (if you didn't know, that's huge), they have the same Damage Reduce, it still has more defense, it has 1 socket, and it's indestructible.

The winner? CoA.

c) You don't need to find 10 to 15 Crowns to find a perfect CoA, you need to start trading.

Verdungo has some crappy mods? When used in conjunction with CoA you now have 40% FHR without any runes or charms. Life leech has now been negated by life tap. Life Leech was back in 1.09 where it was important as were buriza zons... well we all know how that went.
    Life Leech < Life Tap
    That's all that needs to be said about that.

Again if you're talking about PvM then any elite weapon will do just fine. As there's no argument for what's best on PvM I'll leave it with that. You could be suffering from envy or just stuck in the past, either way, see reason.
    I have no proved that Shako is worthless on a zealot vs CoA, that String of Ears is no longer needed, any arguing about weapons for PvM is pointless.