Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zeal weapons

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by WhiskeyJack, Mar 16, 2004.

1. WhiskeyJack

WhiskeyJack IncGamers Member

Zeal weapons

Hey folks...I have a lvl 77 zealot currently in actII hell. max sacr./fana/hsd, with 7 pts veng, 6 pts zeal (I'll probably dump the rest of my pts in zeal). I'm at the limit of my twinking (he's the highest char I have), and my current weapon is a king's grace phase blade. switch is a throw weapon with tiamats for those times I have to run and shoot.

anyway, general q is about getting more damage while zealing- currently I'm at about 980 max dmg, and that's with an inventory stacked full of elemtal dmg charms (most fire/lightening). I'd put tiamts on main, but even with a p-diamond, the resists are just too low for any tanking for the moment. (for complete info...crafted vampbone blood gloves and safety grand crown, infernostride boots, toothrow (unsocketed), and whilhelms pride, plus ravenfrost, a good rare dual leech ring, and ammy with +2 offensive skills)

the only other higher end weapon I have is a moonfall jagged star...I do have a couple of socketing quests available, but I'm not sure what would be good to put in it if I do.

so, what do i need to be on the look out for in terms of weapons? as stated, i'm at my tweaking limit, so this will be things to look for in the game, or try to make. recipies? runewords? my highest rune currently is fal or lum (for rw's or recipies), and I've only 1, 15%ias jewel, but I'm not sure what to do with it yet. Is around 1K dmg about the highest I can expect for while? Should I work on bulking up tanking ability (resist charms, etc) instead?

any advice will be highly appreciated....

2. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

I would at least get me a Baranar's star or a Nord's tenderizer if you want some more damage. I've got plenty of extra ones if you want one. By the way 970 max seems very low for a lvl 77 zealot.

I've got plenty of Zealot equipment that might help you if you want it.

In any case, if you want some e-mail me at [email protected]

Takis (El_Greco)

3. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Ok.

My zealot's current set up at level 56 is;

Aldur's Rythm(ShaelShaelShael)
    Venom Grip
    String of Ears
    Rockstopper
    Guardian Angel(Um)
    Herald of Zakarum(PDiamond)
    Ravenfrost
    Eye of Etlich
    Gore Rider
    Rare Ring with Resistances

He's maxed Sacrifice and Fanatacism and is working on maxing Zeal. It gives him ~700-1200 damage counting the very few elemental charms he has. I could probably throw something your way that would be better. Let me dig through my mules.

4. brainfloss

brainfloss IncGamers Member

A phase blade is a little too low damage for a fanatic zealot - you can go with the slower, heavy damage weapons and still maintain your attack speed without much IAS gear.

Runewords are your best friend here. Two very good, cheap runewords are Honor (AmnElIthTirSol, all melee weapons) and Black (ThulIoNef, clubs, hammers and maces, not scepters AFAIK). Check diabloii.net or the Arreat Summit for what weapons can get what number of sockets, and the socketing recipe...

Once you get a Black runeword, it should speed up boss runs a lot with all that crushing blow. I like to use Smite, as it always hits and it transfers crushing blow. It should just be a matter of time before you get a nice elite weapon.

5. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Baranar's Star is always a good choice, IAS, crazy elemental damage.

Schaeffers Hammer is probably one of the best too, with the charged bolt, IAS and nice damage.

6. WhiskeyJack

@Takis & Serdash: Thanks for the offers. For the moment I'm wanting to try to play still with items i've found myself, even if with another character. Again, I do appreciate the offers. It does give me some info on items to look for as I play through. Would it be worthwhile to do some andy runs?

@ Brainfloss: I hadn't thought about those runewords. I went with the phase blade for speed mostly, and wasn't sure I should sacrifice that for more damage.

7. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Is it me or are the damage ranges listed here really low? I'd expect damage around the 2-3k for high level pallies, or am I just way off in what I estimate to be reasonable damage?

8. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

I agree with you, the damage should be a lot higher for WhiskeyJack. As for Serdash he is only lvl 56 so I don't think it's that bad.

Serdash, you know you're always welcomed to Baranar star. I think that's better than Aldur's, but it also requires lvl 65, but I know you knew that.
    What I'm trying to say, is that my offer is of course extended to you also in case you don't have one.

Takis (El_Greco)

9. addicted2macs

addicted2macs IncGamers Member

I'd like to toss Crescent Moon into the ring. I think it requires Shael+Um+Tir, and Um is pretty rare--well, I've only found one in years of playing.

Crescent Moon has good damage, IAS, but for a zealot, you've got to love the % Chance to cast high level chain lightning and static field. Nothing feels better than zealing a couple times and seeing everyone around you light up with a little static. Ohhhhhhh, so satisfying.

For the zealot you can put Crescent Moon into axes and swords. The Axes have low dex requirements, but if you're using a Phase blade now, I'd try to hunt down an ethereal 3-socket. You'll be sooooo happy.

For resists, I'd try hunting down a nice two-socket Sacred Targe or Rondache with good resists on it, then socket it with Rhyme, Shael+Eth. Can't be frozen, plus resists and magic find. Can't beat that one.

10. WhiskeyJack

for the damage being low (and I realize it is)- is this really more or less a function of not having high end uniques or rune words? For and UNtwinked zealot, what is the normal expectation? Granted, i'm not really untwinked, but I don't do many MF runs, nor have any other high lvl chars, so the elite weapons just aren't there for me (outside of trades/generous members, but as stated, I'm wanting to try to do this without trading, accepting gifts for the moment...I may have to have a change of heart later). so what can i expect without high end twinking (for the moment)?

cheers all

11. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

It's been a long time since I had mine on lvl 77, but I think I was wielding around 5K damage by then. Maybe a little less. I think Vamp Gaze, String, Baranar, Hoz, Gore Riders, Hellmouth, Highlord's wrath, Raven Frost and a lot of Killer small charms of pestilence. I don't remember what armour I had then, maybe shaft?

Keep in mind I'm getting all these off top of my head. Maybe some more people can shed some more light.

Takis (El_Greco)

12. WhiskeyJack

Killer setup (for me anyway), how'd you come by the items? lots of runs? good luck? cross char twinking?

13. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

I've got three lvl 99 Zealots and a bunch of other mid level characters that I screwed up on skill allocations because I never heard of this forum, or I would of came by and asked for help. Heck it took three paladins for me to make a good Zealot.

On the last Zealot I still have 43 skill points and 125 stat points that I haven't alocated on him yet because I feel if I screw him up, it would reafirm how bad I suck at this game! So now he just sits in the corner and I play dress up with him everytime I find a new item, to see how good I can make him. One of these days I'm going to take him out and dust him off.

The last couple of years I've been doing mostly MF runs so maybe I'm not the best gage of how much damage you should have. I do have some really good charms from my MF runs to Nihlathak. I used to trade only for gems so I could re-roll charms, now I don't trade but some people still send me Gems.

Darn! Here I go ranting again.

Sorry
    Takis (El_Greco)

14. WhiskeyJack

@Takis: It's actually pretty helpful...I haven't thought of re-rolling charms, but it makes sense to try it.

I think I'm also seeing that it's best to shoot for low-mid lvl runewords (dream of CM) to augment damage for the moment and hope I come across some good rares or luck into a unique like brannars. I'm guessing I'll reach a point where I can't progress and then have to do some mfing (starting a fishymancer from a 1.09 skelly mancer I didn't get past lvl 14 due to lack of interest). I've maxed at about 1100 dmg before with a savage glaive or something or other plus tiamats, but that was for throwing only (helped a lot though).

15. intrigue762

intrigue762 IncGamers Member

Another thing you can do (if you haven't already) is get yourself a might mercenary. They amp up your dmg a good bit, and if you can outfit him well he makes a powerful ally. I try to squeeze as much damage out of my zealot as possible. I have a demon limb unique tyrant club in my stash for the sweet lvl 23 enchant charges, obviously this doesn't help with fire immunes, but it boosts your AR a good deal anyway. If you don't have one, I have a couple spares I can throw at you if you decide to change your mind on gifts. Send me a PM with your email addy and it's as good as yours.

16. phaedrus

phaedrus IncGamers Site Pal

Baranar's and Schaeffers are really nice, but take some serious MFing to find.

My Zealot made it through Hell using a Butcher's Pupil, which doesn't look that impressive damage-wise but the 35% Deadly Strike and 25% Open Wounds are really helpful. You're basically assured of getting both during your average Zeal attack. Plus, it's a lot more common than Baranar's, Schaeffers, or Um runes :).

Headstriker is another relatively common sword that works well (I used it on one of my Zealots up to Act 3 Hell). At your level, you would have 100% Deadly Strike on hitting, and the max damage scales with your character level. Plus, Prevent Monster Heal helps stop the monster regen in Hell.

Phaedrus