Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zeal + Conviction?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by JanusJones, May 15, 2005.

1. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

Zeal + Conviction?

Hey guys - been thinking, as you might guess from my recent posts :innocent: - about Conviction lately. I've played a Tesladin through to lvl 87, and he's quite the bad . . . erm, he's rather effective. I'm also playing a poison-nova neccy who does nice damage, and the two of them have gotten me thinking hard about elemental damage when combined with resistance-lowering abilities.

So, I've been drooling over ladder aura runewords and the thought of combining them with a maxed Conviction. But alas, I'm off-ladder. Now a straight Avenger doesn't precisely appeal to me - seems like a SLOW attack rate and not much crowd control. Hence the idea for the Disciple of Doom.

But I've been thinking - wouldn't it be possible to make a Conviction-aura Zealer with really nice elemental damage equipment? I'm thinking Duress armor, Demon's Arch/Azurewrath/Baranar's (pick one), T-gods belt, Highlords, double Ravensfrost, etc. Would this work? You could max Sacrifice and Zeal to get good physical damage, Conviction to make things easier to hit and vulnerable to your items - would it be worth it?

Thanks guys!

2. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

It should be worth it, though I haven't been able to formulate such a Paladin. Certainly looks powerful when on paper, but will it translate faithfully in-game?

It may just be me, but I think the -defense is enough for me to think its worth using it combined with Zeal. It makes it easier to get AR as opposed to making a AR and dex-laden Paladin. But certainly, elemental damage couldn't hurt. Adds more to the build, in my opinion. Again, some people may not think highly of the -defense as I do.

3. Tastychiken_europe

Tastychiken_europe IncGamers Member

go for it :thumbsup: but use HoJ or Famine xD i cant let it go, HoJ HoJ HoJ :) :), my open b.net assa has a HoJ claw.

4. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

There is a guide for a Gimmershred wielding Zealot.

5. JanusJones

Famine I can see, but the damage from HoJ looks kind of lousy - even with the aura synergized.

You can build HoJ in a CLAW?! NEAT! You sure? Thought the only new word that worked in claws was Chaos . . .

Oh - wait. OPEN . . .

Yeargh! :grrr:

6. dyre

dyre IncGamers Member

My level 70 Paladin is using Famine with Zeal - Stopped the Conviction at level 14 until i max zeal, sacrifice, holy shield and defiance. My a/r is pretty low, yet seem to hit pretty regularly. The duress did not seem to work as well as a chains of honor, but maybe i will grow into having that be viable.

The shield is HoZ, using T-Gods for the lightning absorb, tearhaunch right now (trying to decide what boots are best), have a rare pally ammy in the wings (using eye of etlich now) and some 20 ias gloves with resists.

I don't play pvp too much, so cannot speak to that application, but meph goes down faster than any other pally build i have made (that includes one with an ebotz).

Weapon switch is an ethereal demons arch - damage is about the same as with the famine. Seems to be a good combo for now.

7. Satans_Advocate

Satans_Advocate IncGamers Member

I have a similar idea for a pvp convi-zealot. I'm working on him right now, thinking about writing a guide. The main weakness is having to sacrifice so much for ias to reach 4 fpa zeal since your using convi and not fanat.

max zeal
    max blessed aim
    max defiance
    max holy shield
    rest into conviction

w/ famine warspike he needs 112 ias to hit 4 fpa zeal

2 s coa w/ 2x 15 ias/AR jewels
    hi def 4 s armor w/ 4 15 ias/ar jewels
    metalgrid ammy
    2x frosts
    storm w ias/ar
    hsarus boot/belt combo
    bloodfists

inventory with flaming/shocking/hibernal scs of vita

anyone think it would be viable? possibly lacking in def/AR as i haven't tried it out, but sicne most zealots have low resistances it would probably wipe pubbys out if it could hit.

8. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Why arnt you maxing Sacrifice and maxing Blessed Aim isnt needed IMO.

9. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

sigons helm (light facet) + gloves, ber shaftstop, dream shield, hoj phase blade, lava gouts, infernostrides, higlords, ravens.

max light res, fire res, zeal, hshield, conviction.

seems workable to me.

10. Tastychiken_europe

Tastychiken_europe IncGamers Member

Gotcha janus :lol: i have a botd claw a cta claw a passion claw and a hoj claw :uhhuh: but that's just for laughs

11. DennisBergkamp

DennisBergkamp IncGamers Member

I have a build very similar to the one you're planning, currently he's lvl 90 and kicking SO MUCH ass. My stuff:

Azurewrath(shaeled, for max ias with zeal)
    HoZ (might switch for pally dream shield, with high res)
    Dream Helmet
    2x raven
    duress
    highlord's ammy
    laying of hands
    dungo's
    gores

Skills:

conviction MAX
    Zeal MAX
    Sacrifice MAX
    Holy Shield MAX
    Lightning resistance - REST, now I realised I should have (of course) put more points in this, for the synnergy with dream, and heck it also adds points to your max lightning resistance. But I never realised I was going to use dream, since i started this build before all the new runewords came out.

If I were to redo this build though, it might look something like this:

Hand of Justice (or maybe azurewrath)
    Dream/Dragon Shield
    Dream Helmet
    Dragon Armor
    2x raven
    highlords
    laying of hands
    gores
    dungo's / tgods

then not max zeal, not max sacrifice, not max holy shield... but take away some points there and max resist fire and lightning. Heck, you could maybe even go with a Doom Zerker axe, then max cold resist AND salvation... but that wouldn't leave too many skill pts for holy shield/zeal, this might turn out kind of unbalanced...

Now, back to my original build... another interesting point is that you hardly need AR at all (high lvl conviction lowers defense with like 93% anyway) but the ravenfrosts are used for cold damage, dex bonuses, CNBF and cold absorb. Azurewrath, I found, is a GREAT sword in this build, the cold damage really hurts with the conviction, has great magic damage, and yeah sanctuary really hurts against the undead (which seem to be about 50% of the monsters in the game). Duress = very nice with ED, added cold damage, resists, crushing blow, open wounds. Not sure how it compares to (the MUCH more pricey) Dragon armor though, which apart from the holy fire has the summon hydras and venom which probably add loads of damage too.

12. JanusJones

Erm - hate to mention, but there IS a significant difference between my question and your build:

LADDER!

I'm NL, so my question is really about whether Zeal+Conviction can work WITHOUT the sexiness of runewords like DREAM (which I truly lust after! :drool: ) Anyhoo, if I had access to ladder goodies, I'd make what I think of as the "Triple-Threat Ranger" - see my thread here .

Sigh . . . I hate being a non-ladder loser. Even if I AM kind of rich there :lol: .

13. Satans_Advocate

The build is based off elemental damage and sacrafice adds to physical. My phys dmg sucks anyways so i'd rather go for more AR with blessed aim ( passive synergy ).

14. DennisBergkamp

You won't need AR when using conviction, the -defense % bonus will give you enough... I'd rather have some extra physical damage.

15. DennisBergkamp

Hehe, maybe you should start on ladder, although I guess they'll reset the whole thing at some point here...
    Hmmm to answer your question, I don't think you really need stuff like dream/dragon. My pally was kicking ass with just azurewrath, although if my memory serves me right that's also ladder only. But there should be substitutes, like demon arch or even better, Famine.

16. Satans_Advocate

IIRC, the -defense bonus from conviction doesn't work in pvp, and thats what this build is designed for (dueling).

17. DennisBergkamp

Ahhh alright, sorry my bad.... I don't think a build like that works very well in pvp against other zealers though with exile/ebotdz and massive life leech. Well, I'm not sure, I never pvp...
    Still, if my memory serves me right, the defense decrease does work, but only %50 of the effect. So -93% would only decrease 46%-47% in pvp.

18. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

Azurewrath works very nice with a zealer that has conviction! Afriend build that one and it worked nicely! It's not an uber char but it works! Another option might be the Famine runeword! I would have tried to get some point into the elemental damage skills!

/Dec