Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Zeal/conviction build

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by bondcho, Sep 16, 2014.

1. bondcho

bondcho Diabloii.Net Member

Hello guys, I'm going to build zeal/conviction paladin with crescent moon pb(-35% lr) and charms with lighting damage, but what should I put is rest of the slots? Maybe griswold's set with lighting jewels? Griffon's eye? Need suggestions here, thank you.

2. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Ideally you would use dual dreams or maybe even just one dream shield/helm for a huge source of lightning dmg (requires a jah, though). Griffon's eye might be a good choice but with max conviction and CM I don't think you'll need another -% lite dmg item (+dmg might help more than usual, if not using dreams)

3. bondcho

Forgot to mention no rwm.

4. pharphis

Hm... maybe vengeance would be a better choice for you? Or just use holy shock instead of conviction...? Otherwise I fear you would need an inventory full of charms to add enough dmg for it to be worthwhile. *shrug*

5. nulio

nulio Diabloii.Net Member

Yes. Zeal + Conviction + just lite dmg from charms would too low imo.

6. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Baranar's star or Azurewrath would do better as weapon. CM is for dream builds, since the -elr is handy for those, but conviction lowers more than just lightning res. Slap on baranar's, tiamat's rebuke, maybe a rare circlet with big ele damage, some ele charms and maybe gris armor or something with 1-100 light dmg jewels. IIRC Lava Gout has ias and fire damage, but might still be better off with draculs or LoH depending on IAS breakpoints and play style.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Gimmershreds add lots of elemental damage as well, but I made the experience that zeal doesn't work well with it. For some reason, the character doesn't always move closely enough to the enemy, so the attack misses. I noticed that versus Baal, so it might only apply to large enemies.

Conviction, holy shock and (synergy) resist lightning will add lots of lightning damage. One point in zeal should be enough for reaching level 4 which is needed for having 5 attacks, but there's probably nothing wrong with adding more, so you can deal two major kinds of damage, but holy shield would be worth a few skill points as well.

Or do something crazy and wear 4 parts of the IK set, including the maul. That will add a bit less fire, lightning and cold elemental damage than Gimmershreds, but the maul has nice additional mods and two open sockets. I'm not sure if it compensates the lack of a shield, however. Without a shield, I would probably put CtA and a +skills shield into the weapon/shield switch if possible.

Vengeance is a bad skill IMO, it costs too much mana for a one-swing attack and a lot of PIs are mana-drainers.

8. nulio

nulio Diabloii.Net Member

The thing is bondcho can't have both auras at the same time. No infinity to have on merc and no dreams to have on the pally. And aura flashing does not work anymore (unless it still works on Conviction and I don't know).

You might not like it, but Vengeance is a not a bad skill, we even have 99ers avengers here in the SPF ^^

9. Sput

Sput Diabloii.Net Member

For a Conviction Zealot why not try out the (almost never used) unique Zakarum Shield: Dragonscale; cast hydra and +300 or so fire damage to each attack. Pair this with Stormlash for a good time.

10. bondcho

I was thinking about CM + Griffon's eye +20/-5 lighting ormus and medusa shield for lower res then max holy shock and synergies + holy shield and defiance.Lighting and life charms too, the only problem is high str req of the shield.

11. pharphis

ormus will only give a minor bonus to your lightning dmg if you're using a synergised holy shock aura. Just about any other armor that has large res, DR, etc. would be better suited to a melee pally. Actually, some 4os armor with 4x facets would be significantly better.

Your weapon switch can be a lower res charges wand to help break some (probably half) of the immunities

12. Clervis

Clervis Diabloii.Net Member

Elemental damage charms can be more destructive than Fine SC's on a physical build. The problem is they're hard to find; the highest only drop from Baal & Diablo, but can be rerolled w/3 Pgems.

A Shocking SC of Storms can do 2-99 damage (50.5 ave). Stick that in 26 inventory slots (my usual layout), and you're getting 1,313 average damage. Your Conviction doubles your damage for almost any monster who isn't immune, so you'd be pushing out 2,626 avedam. Compare that to a 26 slots of 3/20s, which (assuming: 70%DS, +2K% damage, 30% EPhR) nets about 975 avedam.

The problem is, again, those are rare! A SSCoS will take about 33K Baal SC rerolls to get. However, my strategy is a little less bleak.

Broaden the charm requirements to include Shocking, Arcing, Flaming, or a Pre/Suf pair (Smoking/Glowing/Hibernal w/ Thunder/Incineration/Winter). Now you'll have a 1:40 chance of rolling one of those mentioned above from a Baal SC. The composite average damage will be about 22 elemental damage per charm. Which means you'll get about 1,148 avedam for a 26 charms. Not too shabby.

The cost? 120 pgems per charm (gotta get Baal/Diablo SCs, first). 3,120 pgems, around 7xBer in SP Trade. Yikes!

I'm actually in the process of doing this for my Kicksin.

Crescent Moon is an okay weapon. It gives you Static Field, which is nice for the first half of monster health. But if you have Conviction, the -35% ELR will only really help you on the immunes you've already broken.

Other options:
    Famine: 400.5 Ave Elem Dam
    190 Ave Magic Dam, w/ good Physical dam, fast

Hand of Justice PB(synergized): 469.5 Ave Fire Dam
    good Physical dam, 20DS, fastest

Gimmershred: 902 Ave Elem Dam
    slowish

Azurewrathe: 375 Ave Cold Dam
    375 Ave Magic Dam, Sanctuary, decent Physical dam, fastest

Baranar's Star: 300.5 Ave Elem Dam
    slow

Stormlash: 272 Ave Lightning Dam
    Static Field Proc, 33%CB, decent physical, faster

I'd say it's a toss up between Azurewrathe, Stormlash, & HoJ. Keep in mind, attack speed is critical. All can hit a 4 frame Zeal, but Stormlash needs a lot of help. HoJ requires 40 skill points to synergize. If you can get your hands on an Azurewrathe, you won't be disappointed.

13. pharphis

BONUS: AZUREWRATH'S SANCTUARY AURA WILL ALLOW YOU TO KILL ANY UNDEAD MONSTER VIA PHYSICAL DMG

oops, caps

14. Clervis

AND YOU CAN LEECH OFF OF SKELETONS! :)

pharphis likes this.
  15. Zenigma

Zenigma Diabloii.Net Member

I LIKE TO EAT PIZZA
    Oh wait, are we still on topic?
    Welllllll, honestly, I would just use rwm. Without it, I would can the idea, unless of course you've already done similar builds and are up for the challenge/have the gear.

16. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

I'm with this guy; don't try new, possibly fun things if there's even the remotest chance you will fail. Nothing ever comes from trying. Also, be sure to bend your style of play to our will since that's how we have fun. You can't possibly have fun in Vanilla.

17. Zenigma

Zenigma Diabloii.Net Member

Definitely not what I was getting at...
    I was talking on my behalf. I find paladins generally to be paltry bore-fests.
    No need to go apecrap over a subjective opinion.

18. Clervis

Yea! And how about these gas prices!

19. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I might be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the point of doing that (also with other - in my eyes - less efficient skills) is pretending that it's good, so people can proove their gaming skills without having to brag about them too loudly :D.

Of course, saying what I say can be considered as admitting to be bad at gaming. I don't deny that my skills are probably below average. I'm better at theory :).