Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Your take on Diablo 3 character skills?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Andy2702, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Andy2702

Andy2702 Diabloii.Net Member

Your take on Diablo 3 character skills?

One thing is for sure, they look amazing. However, will they keep adding more skills or are the skills that we have already seen pretty much all that will be in the game? There just seems to be more focus on passive skills than active skills.

For those that have played the demo, is the arsenal of skills currently in Diablo 3 sufficient? I'm just concerned that the focus on passive skills might take away from the every-skill-should-kick-someone's-*** feel that the franchise created in the past. Any thoughts or confirmations?

2. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Your take on Diablo 3 character skills?

You have to consider that every skill is effectively 5 skills. We have plenty. While I agree that looking at the bare bone skill list might make it feel "weak" (even though it beats the D2 lists), once you start considering the runes, it grows far more expansive.

3 Armors for the Wizard? Pfft, moar like 15. Just one Enchant skill for melee variants? Naw, a whole 5 of them. Just 3 Nova spells? Same as Armors! Super AoE limited to "just" Blizzard, Meteor, Arcane Torrent? Lawl, slap on another 5x multiplier to that.

Every feel of limitation just melts away once you consider the skill runes. The Barbarian doesn't just have Cleave, Bash, and Frenzy for his level 1 skills - he has ultimately 15 different choices just for his basic attacks.

3. Andy2702

Holy **** I'm excited now.

4. Arbedark

Arbedark Diabloii.Net Member

I must say that after hearing the recent changes to skills, 7 active skills max, 5 levels max and everything that I wasn't too impressed.

In fact I was wholly unimpressed when we originally learnt about the skill runes changing Hydra to be multi-element.

Now, however, I take it all back. I was wrong. The system looks utterly incredible and diverse! My fears of cookie cutter and "best" choices seem to have been allayed. I can't wait to try all these skills out.

Me too!

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

Konfeta pretty much hit the nail on the head. Each skill pretty much turns into 5 skills in D3 (some argue 6 but the base line is worthless). Sure some skills wont change the skill just adds to it, but even without any skills actually changing there are still more than what d2 had and probably 4 times more than d2 if you remove the worthless/pointless skills. Also with only 5 points (or more due to increase) each point becomes far more valuable, 4x so. I have been thinking about only getting a point every other level then I thought back to D2 terms. If you make a barb or sorc how many points went into passives? Figure at least 20 points were put into passives with probably more for barb. Then if you count all the skill points you had to “waste” to unlock the skill you wanted and suddenly 30 skill points (maybe more from quests) does not sound that bad to me at all.

So my opinion on the skills is they will allow me to do what I like doing best in ARPG’s and that’s build characters. I was worried with the ability to respect that building multiple characters would be ruined but I believe now that I was wrong. In fact I have done a complete 180 on the matter and think respecs are good for the game and I still have the ability to make 20 different and 100% unique characters if I want to. So yeah I love the skill system

6. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Should the base line be worthless though Apoc?

I think it should have some value.

I think the Barb, Wiz are the only two classes in the game that their skill list is done (outside of a change once beta comes out)

The WD is on the verge of getting to the same point.

On the other hand the Monk and the DH are still very much a work in progress.

As for the power of the skills, well we don't know cause Not all the skills have been playable yet,

7. Andy2702

Are there synergies or will they all be stand-alone skills that are improved by runes?

Wait, but wouldn't NOT allowing respecs make this even better? Because you can still build 20 different 100% unique characters with respecs with just one character, but not at the same time.

8. Apocalypse

by no means should they be worthless, they could be the best for all i care. my point is i am gonna build characters many different ways so if i do want only the high level skills on a certain character build i can still have fun leveling. i see normal dif level as practice for the real game

9. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

If they don't make baseline worth anything, then their 97 billion build number is BS. There would only be 27 billion builds. OH THE HUMANITY.

10. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

The way I understand it, 1 skill rune effectively "amplifies" what the original skill does with no trade offs. Like, Throw Weapon just does damage and slow, 4 skill runes change it to a different behavior, while 1 skill rune upgrades it into a stun. Firebats apparently has a rune that just makes it bigger, flashier, burnier. Magic Missile simply slaps on a number of missiles multiplier.

Though I might be wrong.

There are no Synergies. And thank god. They did breathe fresh air into Diablo 2, but they are not something a game centered around build variety should be limited by.

11. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Unacceptable I only will buy the game if it has more then 50 billion builds :crazyeyes:

But seriously, now many are those builds really valid anyways, its really sounds like an inflated number. That real # is more like a few hundred thousand, by the way that's more then enough for me. Heck, I would be more then happy with 1,ooo

12. Apocalypse

of course it is an inflated number. we can build the exact same demon hunter except i go with a level 4 vault while you go level 3. now we have a different character even though we are really pretty much the same