Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Your PS2 experience...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by faultless wonderboy, Mar 22, 2004.

1. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

Your PS2 experience...

I have recently purchased a playstation 2 and have a few concerns. I have heard from quite a few people who own one that after as little as a year or more, the unit just stops working right. That is, disc read errors and game freezing/skipping become too common for enjoyable gameplay. Anyone else experience this or have any inside knowledge?

2. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

I don't know if this is still relevant, but turning the old playstations upside down put the disc nearer to the laser thus improving the readability of discs. If the Sony engineers haven't learned from their past mistakes, try it for the fun of it, turn your console so that your DVD would drop from the sledge if you were to open it. It could help...
    Just remember to never open the dvd drive while keeping the console upside down.

3. Maverikk

Maverikk IncGamers Member

I had that disk read error thing myself after a year or so too. I shredded my entire PS2 in attempt to find out what the problem was. Turns out I just had to clean the disk reader lens (or I think so, nothing was left of the PS2 to actually test that theory). Oh well, I always liked the computer better.

4. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

Most people experiance this problem when they use their ps2 for a dvd player. When you make the laser read the dvd for 2 hours straight it quickly shortens the life of the system. My friend had to eventually buy a new one because no matter what he did he couldnt get it to read any of his games.

5. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I have had my ps2 for almost 2 years. A month or so ago, it took forever to load the games. I bought one of the cleaning disks then the problem was solved. I don't use mine as a DVD player.

6. Maverikk

Maverikk IncGamers Member

I and on the other hand did, so I guess it just goes to further nail down the point that handling a PS2 is like handling a woman. Very touchy and expensive in the long run.

*Hides to avoid imminent castration from female forum-goers.*

7. KillerQueen

KillerQueen IncGamers Member

We have 2 PS2's and neither of them read disks most of the time. We never ever used them for dvd's either. Now they are just collecting dust because we just play the Xbox now.

8. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I've heard bad things from friends about using them as DVD players. As in, they don't make a very good DVD player. Hadn't heard anything about it shortening the life of it though.

9. zodiac66

No castration for you :). I just thought it silly to use it as a DVD. We already have one. I did initially buy the DVD remote for it, but I took it back.

Yes, treat your consoles with the utmost care and they will reward you with many years of pleasure.

10. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Same thing goes for a woman, no?

:lol:

11. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

I didn't have my PS2 very long before it just stopped working like that. Fortunately, I was able to take it back and have it replaced.

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that its better to have it stand up on it's side than lying flat on the ground.

12. zodiac66

Of course..of course.

13. GIR

GIR Banned

I actually think that's what Sony recommends. I believe they have a stand for it to be put up like that, and, I'm pretty sure that if you look at some ads for the PS2, it's pictured like that.

14. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info. fellas. I for one got a PS2 for its gaming and video viewing purposes. I am very concerned now, i tried to take it back for the xbox, but the chumps at hasting wouldnt let me, Im thinking ill try again and say the DVD player doesnt work or something. Does anyone experience the same problems with the xbox when used as a DVD player? Or is sony just guilty of bad craftsmenship this time?

15. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Sony has had problems with the reading of disks and the pin used to spin the disks in a lot of their CD related products. . . Get an Xbox not as wide a selection, but getting there.

Yes, Sony says that standing the PS2 on it's side that the heat will disperse better. . .makes sense more area open to moving air. Other than that position has nothing to do with how well the system performs in terms of reading.

16. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

MY PS2 broke after one year, and I had to send it in and get a new one. =\

Dj_Otaku

17. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Huh, I must be the only one whose PS2 works perfect. It's four years old, has played 1000's of DVD's, sits flat, has never been cleaned, and has never, not once, had a single hiccup or delay that shouldn't have been there. It gets played to death on a daily basis... all during the four years I've had it. It's even been thrown into a wall. I've fed it a steady diet of DVDs, PS2 games, PS1 games, and CD's. Works like a charm.

However, I have heard of horror stories on the Xbox. More so than on the PS2, but not owning an Xbox I can't offer personal experience.

18. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

Weird. I've had my ps2 for, 2 years now. I use it for games and dvds and I'm not seeing any problems with it. Well I did, when I bought it, darn bastards at Wal Mart putted a used one that didn't work in the box. :rant: I changed it and never got any problems with it...

19. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

My PS2 encountered some problems after a few years, so we had to clean the hell out of the reader. Now it works like a charm again, DVDs included, although I rarely use it for that.

20. ReturnofVape

ReturnofVape IncGamers Member

I myself have heard many horror stories about ps2 and witnessed a few. Between my brother and myself, we have 2 xboxs. My first generation xbox did break down after a year and a half(Errors loading some discs) but that was our fault(Leaving it on reading discs for half a day at a time lol). However after a phone call and sometalking online we got it fixed for free.

Xbox's are a tank, my second xbox (with the second generation lens) Was involved in a very costly lightning strike(on the power pole right outside my house) That strike fried my router and fried the network card on my xbox, yet everything else works perfectly. Doesn't really matter to me I supose everyone I know switched from ps2/gamecube to xbox, So lanning can still happen :)

Note I use both of my xbox's for playing dvd's, sometimes (not very often) the xbox wont read the disc. All we do is give it a 1 second burst of compressed air and its fixed : :thumbsup: