Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

your opinions on giveaway

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by nikstone, Mar 19, 2004.

1. nikstone

nikstone IncGamers Member

your opinions on giveaway

I was thinking a little bit about the whole thing of giving away or trading items and some toughts came to my mind.
    To introduce myself, I am still a relatively new member of this forum, but that does not bother me to say something cause I am no worshiper of status, age or similar stuff. Results and intelligence can always speak for themselves.
    I am a D2 player who loves to do MF and i have a lot of free time to play as long as I want to.
    Conseqently I have found a lots of rare uniques and set items (many other people even multiple times more than me).
    I gave away some items to some people simply because i wanted to make them happy with that little gesture.
    Giving away items that I have found multiple times or that are simply not interesting to me is really nothing special and dont deserve any special praise.
    If I would give away my only Corona, now that would be probably a cool giveaway (no I do not want do it, hehe).

I know there are people out there who doesnt love to do MF but would like to have the coolest and best stuff and be the number1 dude etc.

On the other side there are people who respect the value of a hard earned item obtained through dedicated playing and MF-inding.
    Some of these people dont play alot because they dont have much time free, they find good items but not in such quantities as a person like me with a lot of free time.
    To come to the point i will make an example.

Lets say I have found three Aldurs Shadow plates and I could easily giveaway one. I even dont value it much anymore.
    Another person has found only one Aldurs Shadowplate but for that person it is a capital find. Since that person does not need an Aldurs Shadowplate it wants to trade it for a Mavinas Grandmatron Bow and is negotiating with another person for the trade, already exicted and happy about the outcome.
    Then I jump in giving away a Aldurs Shadowplate and the person with the Mavinas bow cancels the trade with the other person with the Aldurs Shadowplate.
    So what happened, with my giveaway I have made one person happy and another person feeling miserably wich makes me asking how justified my giveaway was cause I dont want to make anyone feeling miserably.

I would like to know what you people think and say about giveaways and trading, taking in consideration the situation I just explained and any other things you come up with.

P.S. please ignore gramatic errors

2. sam_manzanza

sam_manzanza Banned

Always look after number 1 I say :D
    If you can get something for free, that you were about to trade for I think it is fine to cancel the trade. If someone did that to me I wouldn't mind a bit, but that's just me.

Sam

3. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

Well that might happen that's why it is usually a better idea to post what you have in the giveaway thread instead of the trade thread. So if the person who needed Aldur's decided to take the time to check the giveaway thread first he could of got it for free but if he didn't feel life it he could have just traded normally. But I'm guessing you're using a more spur of the moment thing while you were say browsing the trade thread. All you can do I guess is not intentionally break up a trade in progress by offreing freebies. Or you could just offer the other guy M'av's Bow :lol: .

4. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Giveaways are one of the hallmarks of the SPF (and other D2 forums). IMO, It displays the generosity that distinguishes SPers!

One should never feel bad about giving away an item, unless the giveway was done to intentionally break up a trade. But I've never even heard of such a situation happening before - and hope I never do.

We try to keep all item giveaways in the sticky thread, with exception granted for the extra-grand events. There isn't generally competition with the trade thread.

5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I have seen some trades broken up in the past when a rich player jumped in and offered something for free. These rich players were very friendly, respected members of the forum--names everyone would know and like--but it felt at those times like they were breaking up something that should be allowed to take place.

Of course they weren't doing it to be mean and prevent the other guy in the trade from getting what he wanted out of it, but at times that was the result.

Giveaways are awesome and the last thing any of us want to see is an SPF where they don't take place. But I think we need to pay attention to the timing of the offerings we make. If player A is giving an Eaglehorn for player B's Arreat's Face, rich folks shouldn't jump in and offer A a free helmet unless they're prepared to get a nice bow to B somehow. :)

6. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

In fact I'll give away a Tal's Armor to the first person who can tell me who the Red Sox closer is going to be this year :drool:

edit: if this negatively effects anyone's trade I'd be glad to compensate said party as well :thumbsup:

7. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I don't know much about baseball, but I do know you had better pray that the ump in the middle of that top pic doesn't end up calling any BoSox games, or you'll know for sure who to blame for the loss. :teeth:

8. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

I'm guessing its not the Great Bambino :surprise:

9. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I hear Jeff Nelson is looking for work...

Sorry, I'm a big Yankees fan, couldn't resist.

Steve

Seriously though, it is Keith Foulke, who they paid beaucoup bucks for. And worth it; he is a great closer-the race between them and the Yankees should be great.

10. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

I don't see anything wrong with Giveaways, I think like AlterEgo said it's a great and unique part of SP DiabloII. From time to time I do go into the trade post and send Items to people who are looking for them.

I don't think you whould ever break up a trade with a giveaway, and I hope I never done that. If I have I apologize.

Nikstone you should always feel free to express yourself. That's the great part of this forum, we benefit from each other's knowledge and game experience. I guess because we've PM'ed each other in the past, I feel I know you. You are a pretty good player and your views are beneficial to all of us.

PS Thanks for the Baal run stats!

Takis (El_Greco)

11. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

I am new to this forum too, but luckely we got to know eachother trow MSN. As Takis already told you, everyone should be able to express themselfs, even if one does that in there first post. That is what freedom of speach is all about.