Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Your level of religious belief & why

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by plasmo, Apr 29, 2008.

1. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

Your level of religious belief & why

I'm intending for this to be pretty simple: you post what level of religious belief you personally have and why.

I'd rather nobody make too many critical comments on others or religion in general. Perhaps "I was in that stage, but then moved to this one because..." would be useful, but much else would better fit in a thread intended for discussion and debate.

The purpose is to get a little more understanding of why people believe what they do.

Examples (No need to go by my examples, but I think a general numerical scale is helpful):
    10 - Complete belief - Whichever religion you believe in is absolutely correct to every letter of your religious texts and you believe in it absolutely.
    8 - Strong belief - My religion is mostly true, although the texts shouldn't be taken literally.
    6 - Weak belief - I think my religion is probably true, but there are a lot of things in it I don't believe.
    5 - Participation without real belief - I like going to religious gatherings (such as church) and take my children, but I don't really believe in it.
    4 - Weak disbelief - I don't really believe in any religion, but parts of one or many of them make a lot of sense to me.
    2 - Strong disbelief - I don't believe in any organized religions at all, although personal spiritual beliefs are fine.
    0 - Complete disbelief - There is nothing at all out there, even spiritual feelings of awe and wonder at nature are hormones sloshing around.

It's kind of hard excluding it to belief levels. I was putting in examples like "you'd go to church if you Grandma wanted you to" and "you think religion is harmful to humanity," but those really don't describe a level of belief but other related emotions.

Even saying something like how strongly you belief is rather messy. You could be around 4 and still strongly believe that you are correct, or you could be a 4 and think it's very likely you're wrong but you're not sure which way is right.

I'm a 0-2. I think all religions are completely untrue, and even the weak spiritual feelings, while nice (I love being out in nature), aren't related to anything bigger. Years of studying multiple religions and religion itself have been part of it.

However, being scientific, if someone proved a religion was true, I'd believe in it (even if I didn't particularly like it because the god(s) are really cruel, it would be reality). About the highest I think I ever was would be about 5; I went to church as a kid, but even then, while I though Christianity was possible, I never actually thought it was likely. I remember trying to set up a tape recorder to see if Santa was real, but I never did anything like that for God.

My mother was fairly religious (made us go to church, Sunday School, memorize the books of the Bible), but my father, while never saying anything against religion, was obviously not religious at all (he didn't go to church or pray with us at our evening meal). Also, my siblings and I were all raised to be very scientific, i.e., don't believe something without good evidence.

Your turn. :) And remember, try to only post your beliefs, not attack others. And "I belief in Islam/Buddhism/etc because Christianity/Hinduism/atheism/etc is stupid," for example, while it may be your belief, is also attacking others; try to keep it nice so others will participate.

2. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Re: Your level of religious belief & why

I wish I could answer your question, but that girl in your sig is looking at me a little to intense to make up a proper post....

Can't focus...
    Must try!...
    Fail..

3. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I'm an 8, because I choose to be, and believe it's right for me. I don't care what you do.

EDIT: Christian, Baptist, rare church-goer, fully believe in Jesus Christ as Son of God and my savior. Baptised as an adult. Not an uneducated hick that doesn't know any better. Have an undergraduate degree in a science field. No problem reconciling science with faith in God.

EDIT2: I called myself an 8 by the provided scale because I believe the bible is God inspired, but I also don't believe all those Mosaic laws and such can apply to us today. I guess I'm a New Testament Christian. A poor quality one, but the faith is there, and I do try.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. Helatus

Helatus IncGamers Member

10 - Complete belief - Whichever religion you believe in is absolutely correct to every letter of your religious texts and you believe in it absolutely.

Its simple really. Every blue print has a draftsman so to speak. If you are truly able to look at nature and think all this happened because some cosmic dust collided billions of years ago then my belief in God doesn't sound so far fetched.

Why do I believe in Christianity so strongly? Because out of all the religions that sprouted, every single person that began a religious movement now have a grave stone with both a born and died date. Jesus Christ on the other hand died, just to rise again on the 3rd day.

5. Tanooki

Tanooki IncGamers Member

I'm at a 10 as well. Christianity is the only religion (that I'm aware of) where God became fully human and experienced what it's like to be human.

6. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

*enters the thread very skeptically*

While probably good intent for the thread, I fear this (like virtually any other "religion" thread) will likely degrade.

That being said...

I'd likely rate my level (based on the scale presented) as a 4. At this point in my life I consider myself pretty solidy agnostic.

I used to be extremely religious (Christian faith) in my younger years. However, as I got older, I had an increasingly difficult time reconciling what I believed the faith to teach with what I believed to be right. This particularly applied to the area of homosexuality. I had always been taught (within my faith) to believe that it was wrong and a "sin", yet as I made friends with people that were ***, I just couldn't any longer follow a faith that I couldn't agree with. There were other reasons leading my path to agnosticism, but that one one of the earlier catalysts.

At this point I'm not sure. Part of me wants to believe in God. I really do want to believe there is more meaning than just to cease existing when I die. I just don't know if the answer lies within Christianity or some other factor. For the time being though, I tend to find most of my purpose just in the simple process of existing.

Worrying about death and what's after death doesn't seem like something that's going to help me at all. After all, I have zero control over the inevitable. I don't figure I should worry excessively about it.

7. CrimsonOmen

CrimsonOmen IncGamers Member

I'm atheist communist, I would choose around 3-4 because even tho I am strongly against organized religion, I believe that religion can serve a good purpose to bring enlightenment and hope to a person. Yet, I am still convinced things would be better of without religion (seeing as it often does the opposite and hardly ever serves the true needs of the people) and people should really take things into their own hands and think for themselves instead of mindless devotion to some imaginary idol. I am a humanist and I value human essence above all, so I am on the search of universal meaning instead of going nihillistic about it. God, well, I don't know, and I won't take God for what other people think of him/her, but I do not completely deny the possibilty of a greater being in the universe. These are my views.

8. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Christians shouldn't be worrying about death and what comes after. :)

9. CrimsonOmen

Honestly, I hope there is absolutely nothing after death. Just death and eternal sleep. But any other way, I have aboslutely no respect or understanding for people who just believe out of FEAR. This is the height of inhumanity.

10. Road Ratt

Road Ratt IncGamers Member

I don't believe in theism nor atheism.

11. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Can't I be agnostic? I don't believe in any of the dogma associated with god, but I think it's possible that such a being exists, you seem to neglect this option. Also, what about non-Judeo Christians? Buddhism (at least in some forms) is more about philosophy, not "beliefs".

12. CrimsonOmen

Well, um, if you don't believe in anything its pretty much atheism..the thing about atheism that there is nothing to believe, so it makes little sence what you just said...errr..

13. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

The 0 in this poll is a contradiction. It requires an active belief. A belief in the negative but not a neutral belief.

14. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Agreed, they shouldn't. Nor should other people whom believe in an after-life as a reward for believing in and following their faith.

I guess the only reason i bring it up for myself, is that because I haven't fully abandoned religion, a part of me still sometimes worries about what it states...

My faith had previously taught that "you're either for God, or you're against him" and that those not living their lives in service of God would be condemned to hell. Pretty depressing though considering I'm not doing that right now. Therefore, it's better for me personally to not think about it.

I suppose if I were to adhere to my previous beliefs, then I'd have to come to grips with the thought that I'm on the express bus to hell unless I change my life back to belief.

Anyhow, that's just my take on it.

15. CrimsonOmen

Once again, its pure fear. What kind of ''perfect'' God would make people follow him/her just out of fear? What kind of church/religion is that, which is supposed to help people reach enlightenment? Now this is just sad, and I pity such people who just believe because of fear. I am not afraid, and what, do I deserve to go to hell? BS. Not to mention the whole hell concept is a product of fear itself -.-.

16. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

I'd be around a 3 on that scale.

I believe in organized religion, there is a chuch down the street, it is part of a organized religion, I don't know why I would doubt the existence of said organized religion :p.

For the most part I have nothing against religions, I don't think ones attitude toward religions is necessarily related to religious belief. They provide comfort for some people concerning the uncertain. They do a lot of community type work and for the most part strive for their followers to live a moral live, but there are no absolutes with morality. I'm not really a fan of indoctrinated fundamentalist, I think people should try to have an open mind and to be able to question any belief they may have.

I don't see why any religion is any more valid then any other religion and I'm highly skeptical of most religious dogma. I've had interest in some religions that dwell more in the realm of philosophy then spiritualism.

I would consider myself an agnostic. I'm content about living my life in a way that I think is right, I don't need a book.

17. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

Another religious thread? How could I resist?:grin:

8 - Strong belief - My religion is mostly true, although the texts shouldn't be taken literally.

I feel that Christianity, when observed and followed by interpreting the Bible for yourself, is a religion that promotes tolerance, charity, kindness and forgiveness. Who could argue against that? Though it has been used throughout history for bad ends, the core of the religion is benevolent. Additionally, my take on the Bible is that it is a very metaphoric representation of human history and God's place in it. There are many figures and events throughout the Bible that actually occurred. I tend to view the Bible as a book that would be termed, "based on a true story". Mostly true, but with some extra thrown in for dramatic effect. The most important reason for me believing in my religion though, I pray to God and feel His presence in my life. I don't think anything is more important than that.

18. kobold

kobold Banned

You know, Borty summed up my position rather well. Substitute the undergrad degree in science with a partial philosophy degree, commerce degree, and a designation, and you're there.

My "path" to faith was convoluted. Rarely attended church as a child. Started to more as a teenager (boring town, what can I say? :rolleyes: ), but considered myself pretty much an agnostic for many years. Had a couple of scary experiences, started questioning things (mainly my beliefs), and exploring. Went to church regularly with Mrs. K. Wasn't until a Franciscan Friar came to speak at the church that I really made up my mind. I swear that was a moving experience. Started the process of conversion shortly thereafter.

My son and I were to have been baptized on the same day.

By no means do I agree with all of the church's positions, but I have found that there are regional flavors if you will, that have a significant impact on the church experience.

My eldest daughter's first communion is this weekend. :thumbsup:

19. Helatus

Helatus IncGamers Member

In respect to the original intent of this thread, I will not refute what you posted here. I will say however that your misguided and followers of Christ do not need pitty because we believe out of Love, Not fear.

20. Helatus

Helatus IncGamers Member

Congrats. This is great to hear!