Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Your Hardest SP Fight EVER...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NorrYtt, Apr 7, 2004.

1. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

Your Hardest SP Fight EVER...

My hardest SP fight ever was when I was a newb trying out a sorc way back when (1.02?). I'm always a necro, but sorcs where neat because she's a bazooka cannon that breaks if an enemy touches her.

OK. First sorc, total newb, wrecking with Frozen Orb love. I run into during my questing in Hell Difficulty:

Hephasto the Armorer
    Immune to Cold, Immune to Lightning, Extra Fast, Cursed, Spectral Hit, Mana Burn (more?!)

Ummmmmmm...yeah. This S-of-a-B ran almost as fast as I did, and when I'd spin a corner he'd get a swing off and drop me to 1/4 HPs, Amp me, and drain my blue orb. No Static Field, no Frozen Orb, no chilling slow effect works. How o how do I do it?!?!

I bought a staff from town with +3 Blaze and killed him very, very slowly over 30min and 40 TP scrolls. I found the longest straightaway I could in the River of Flame. He'd chase me down and if I turned the corners right, he'd miss on his swing, which gave me enough time to refresh Blaze, then he'd chase me to the other side.

The 16 slots in my belt were refreshed in town with 8 Super Healing Potions and 8 STAMINA POTIONS.

You'd think the game would reward you hansomely for such a David and Goliath victory, but Hephasto showed me no love with his drop.

In hindsight, all my sorcs have Teleport now :D

2. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

In classic (don't remember the version):

Hephasto the Armorer on hell difficulty

I was fighting with my lvl 72 "basher"-barb who used Bash as his main skill :D

Hephasto was Extra Strong, Extra Fast, Cursed, Spectral Hit + Conviction. Each of his hits dealed about 1,2k dam. I fought him for ages, died about 30 times and so on. It was horrible

Also nm Duriel was huge pain for my thorns-pally...one charge = death. I deleted him when I reached Black Marsh in hell difficulty. About 500 hp, equipment was mostly magic items+few rares. Too difficult for a lvl ~55 char :scared:

As you can guess, I was a real n00b back then. It was in 1.09 when I heard about MFing first time in my life :lol:

3. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

Lord de seis in 1.06, he was HORRIBLE for melee chars.

Anyone recall 1.00 De seis stealing all your 16 rejuvination potions? :D

4. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

HEHE! After all, you don't need those to fight incoming Diablo...:lol:

5. Bammy

Bammy IncGamers Member

Not sure if this counts as a single battle, but the hardest fight I've ever had was when I took my throw barb into Hell Chaos Sanctary (1.10).

At the time my barb was using Cruel Winged Axes and it took a dozen hits to kill a single monster, even on players 1. Of course the CS has IM which killed my might merc instantly and cost me a lot of damage and left me dodging a fair bit. After a couple more deaths I gave up on my merc and slowly made my way through to Diablo. After over two hours and countless visits to town to repair and stock up on potions, I released Diablo and had a relitive easy time dealing with him. It only took about ten minutes and no town trips.

6. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

Lol.

That's not a fond memory.
    *imagines facing a big bunch of Oblivion knights without potions*

My worst fight was probably with normal diablo with 1.07(IIRC) summon necro, who had a single point in bone spear.

Well, that single point bonespear got all of it's moneys worth in that single fight since
    1) my blood golem drained all my life when dying to the pink lightning of death,
    2) 1point in clay golem with no slows target or synergies(save golem mastery and summon resistance) isn't exactly effective
    3) skeletons were a joke
    4) revives did pitiful damage and didn't last long anyway.

players 8 of course. :D

7. Lothric

Lothric IncGamers Member

Mmm. The toughest fight I've been in has been something of an ongoing battle for me over the last day or so.

I have a level 79 MeteOrb sorc working her way through Hell at the moment and I've just hit the Ancients. Having taken a Fishymancer and Bowazon through them before, I can definitely say that getting through the Ancients without some sort of renewable summon to distract them is tough work.

A typical battle goes something like this:

* Holy Freeze Merc (also 79) runs into the middle of the fray and starts swinging wildly. He lasts all of 0.3 seconds before the Ancients dance over his corpse.

* I scream like a little girl and start running around the Summit in circles like a headless chicken, firing off Frozen Orbs and Meteors while swearing at the one Ancient who inevitably spawns with Cold Immune/Fire Immune (I've lost count of how many times I've TP'd them away after they've spawned and one of them -always- spawns with the combo).

* I slip up just once and *splat* it's time for me to start all over again.

No idea how I'm going to take them down, but I'm doing some levelling again in the meantime. I'll probably have to do a marathon 3-4 hour session of running around and firing off spells at random till they're all dead. Unfortunately I don't have the patience and concentration required to stay one step ahead of them for that long so I guess I'll have to set her aside for now.

Ah well, if it wasn't a challenge, it wouldn't be much fun. :)

8. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

Ooooh, I love these types of threads! It's always a kick to see folks tell of their hard-fought battles. Those battles are what make the game so much fun. :D

I have to break mine down into three different battles, Classic, 1.09, and 1.10, since they're basically three different games

Classic:

My first ever character, a very badly screwed up barb, taking on Treehead Woodfist in NM for the first time. He and his minions were smacking me around pretty good, especially after he Amped me, and I had to run for it to try to thin them out and give my healing pots time to work. Problem is, I woke up a couple packs of corrupted rogues in the process. Being out of TP scrolls, I had to choose from trying to find the WP (and wake up more monsters), stick around, or save-and-exit. I chose to stick around and do all kinds of mad hit-and-run Bash tactics, duck back into the Underground Passage from time to time to let my pots do their thing and get my own heart started again, go back out and make a mad dash to keep the entrance clear, hit-and-run, repeat. Must've taken me a good half an hour to do it and taken a year off my lifespan as a result of the stress. :)

1.09:

My first character after re-installing the game, a fanatic avenger, against a fanaticism enchanted, mana burn, PI skeleton boss in the Sewers under Lut Gholein. Walk up, take one or swings with vengeance, get hit, lose all my mana and most of my life, run like hell away with Vigor active, turn on Meditation for a few seconds as I chugged a healing potion and the skel tried to catch up to me, lather, rinse, repeat. After about 30 minutes of this business and getting nowhere, it was time for a change of tactics. This was when I first learned the beauty of Sanctuary. I had my measly slvl 1 Sanc going as I pinned a minion in a corner, letting the knockback keep everything else away while it also kept the minion knockback-locked. Killed that one, scrambled away to I could maneuver another one into the corner, repeat. Finally, it was just me and the boss. Took forever, but with a combo of Zeal and Sanctuary, it was safe, fun, and informative once I finally figured out the right strategy for the job. Ever since then, I've taken to trying out every skill on every character class I play, just to see them in action and see which ones can be a hidden butt-saving skill.

1.10:

Any battle with an FE Gloam. :(

9. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Two fights spring to mind:

1) Fighting the Ancients with my dual claw assassin. Spent about half an hour re-rolling mods after finding out by trial and error which ones were likely to kill me (Extra Strong Korlic, cursed anyone, PI Korlic...). At the point where I thought I would never get past them, somehow I did.

2) Monday Night Paladins versus a lag-o-porting Extra Strong Conviction Enchanted Fire Enchanted Lightning Enchanted Spectral Hit Hephasto the Armourer.

I think this screenshot tells the story.

Chris

10. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

This is my most memorable fight ever. It was with Bengt, my 1.09 HC Lord of Mages.

The build was like this:
    * No direct damage at all (not even Attack or Throw was used. Ever.). No merc and no Revives.
    * 1 point + a few points from items in Raise Skeleton, all Golem skills, Bone Armor, most of the curses except Confuse & Attract.
    * A couple of points in Summon Resist and Lower Resist
    * Many points in Raise Skeletal Mage, Golem Mastery and Dim Vision
    * Maxed Skeleton Mastery and Iron Maiden

Think Sirian´s Skeletorr but with a better golem. That will give you an idea of the build.

Both skeleton warriors and mages were weak as kittens in this version, if you remember, and the warriors did negligible damage past act 2 Normal. The golem was there to protect the mages. The warriors were there to take some heat off the golem and speed up the IM killing against mobs of strong melee monsters (I would often raise them constantly as both they and the enemies dropped like flies).

OK, on with the show! I was entering Hell Catacombs level 4 with a full army. I had the following written down in swedish and I have just translated it:

We arrive at level 4 and are immidiately greeted by a pack of spitters. A boss pack. OK, standard boss check. Lets see: Extra Strong, Multiple Shots, Ligh...

HOLY CRAP!!! (this was 1.09, remember!)

Fire Golem has built-in Holy Fire. This is usually a good thing because it makes the enemies gather around the golem. This time, it was NOT good. Holy Fire activated the boss. Waves of white death poured over my poor skellies. I retreated to level 3. Only 5 of 16 mages left. All five warriors gone. Bengt had not met any MSLEs on Nightmare at all. Here in Act 1 Hell there had been many LE bosses, and many with Multiple Shots but never both on the same boss. Until now. Almost like a stairs trap as well. Wonderful...

I realized two things:

1. Fire Golem is not to be used. I have to be able to predict when the bolts are going to spew out.

2. If Bengt is going to have any chance of winning, he will need lots of space and face the boss alone with a golem. This means that he must enter the next room and clear that first.

Holy Fire has hurt all the spitters, so they are in "shoot mode". This makes them worse at following and there is a good chance the boss won´t find its way into the next room. If it does anyway, I will try to lead it a good distance into Andariel´s chamber and portal park it there for the time being.

Down again, squeeze past the wildly shooting boss pack. Oops, there were a couple of more spitters blocking the door. "Shoo! Get away from there!" (Terror). Into the next room, right into another ambush. Almost 10 more spitters and hordes of Dark Ones. No more bosses, thankfully... More Terror to keep Bengt safe. There are four Dark Shamen in the room (as always) and each one of them has 5-6 Dark Ones with him. During the transport, the rest of the mages have died and the Clay Golem is very hurt. It seems like only some of the minions have found their way into the room, not the boss. I am trying to establish a "front" with Fire Golem and wild castings of Terror, Iron Maiden and Dim Vision. Bengt is standing close to the corner near the door. The Fire Golem is standing in the middle of the room, surrounded by 20+ enemies. New enemies arrive and they run around the group, trying to get to the golem. They bump into Bengt and attack him instread. Terror, then Dim Vision to keep them at bay. A Dark One dies from Iron Maiden, I make a skeleton which dies instantly and the golem also dies again and Bengt gets swarmed. More panicky Terror castings. The monsters can´t run away because other monsters block them. This sucks! OK, full rejuve, Terror on the "outside" monsters, then on the closest ones. New golem, new Terror, I raise two mages from Dark One corpses. Iron Maiden is almost useless against the spitters. Their life bars have barely moved. The enemies start to swarm Bengt again. While I am busy keeping them at bay with curses, I have no time to raise the Dark Ones that fall and the shamen do it instead. Golem is hopelessly overmatched and gets very little done (bad effect of Iron Maiden against the spitters, Dark Ones gets resurrected the whole time).

Uh, this tactic is Not Goodâ„¢.

The problem is that there is too many things to handle at a time. The enemies come from too many directions. I simply MUST find a better place to fight. I am thinking about moving into Andariel´s chamber but who knows what lurks there? Maybe another boss pack? No, I still think the best chance is in this room. There are no real dangerous enemies, just so many of them. More Terror, Bengt squeezes his way towards the center of the room (I click on an empty space and let the game engine lead Bengt through the pulsating mass of enemies). He takes a lot of beating and is glad he has over 700 life. Then I suddenly see where I should go: in the upper left corner of the room stands a single shaman behind a large pile of junk. If I can get there, only one monster from two directions can attack at a time. I succeed in getting there and curse the shaman with Iron Maiden. "Hit me, bugger!" (so you die...). I place a golem just inside the large opening in my new "fort". "Now you stand there and block EVERYTHING, you hear me?!" The shaman dies and I make a skeletal mage of the corpse. Arrgh, a poison shooter. Still, it´s better than Lightning since the spitters are immune to that. Good, golem is barely hurt now. Only three enemies can attack him at a time (spitting spitters not included). A spitter minion finds its way into the smaller opening of the fort (at the short edge of the junk pile) but a Terror gets it out again and no more monsters find their way in that opening.

The number of enemies diminish slowly but surely. All Dark One corpses get raised into skeletons. After a while, Bengt can leave his fort and take on the rest of the room, including the three remaining shamen. I don´t know how many monsters there are left in the first room and I don´t want to get closer to that doorway at the moment. I raise all the remaining corpses and get 6 mages, then take a Town Portal. Good thing I saved some potions in town. During the battle I have used up three mana potions and seven (!) full rejuves.

Continuing into Andariel´s chamber has to be the best solution. I open the door and out comes four Ghouls (three Champs and one Ghostly). A spitter minion finds its way in from the first room and starts to attack a cold-shooting necromage. I have no time to bother about that spitter now, as I am busy handling the battle against the Ghouls. However, this annoying minion attacks Bengt after the mage is killed. A Terror was enough to lose it. Ghouls defeated, we enter the room and fight normal Ghouls, Dark Ones and shamen. Piece of cake. Just when the last enemy within sight (a shaman) falls, there is a narrow poison shot coming from further into the room. Andi has arrived. ..

I place a golem right in front of Ms. Bad Hair Day. The fight becomes non-dramatic. Andariel insists on melee which suits me perfectly. Ten Fire Golems later, she is defeated and we clear the rest of the room. Ah, what´s this? Breast Plate of the Whale. +84 life. Just what I need right now.

(switches out Bengt´s MF armor for this new toy)

Back and we find and kill the minion Bengt scared away earlier. Time to see where the boss is and how many friends it has. I cast a Clay Golem and approach the door. No reaction. I peek though it. No reaction. I take one step in and here comes the boss. Nothing else. I back out of the door, the boss follows and the mages start to fire. I am prepared to run. The mages stop firing, because they are all dead. Probably just as well...

Now starts the painstaking work with Clay Golem + Iron Maiden. Golem often misses its blows. That´s good (the damage is laughable but triggers just as many LE bolts). Did I mention how ineffective Iron Maiden is against sptters? At least the boss is Extra Strong (takes more damage from Iron Maiden when it hits). Golem after golem dies. It survives one, sometimes two waves of blobs. I took a screenshot around here, which I still have.

More than a hundred golems are killed (that´s more than what Normal Diablo managed to kill and the golem is much beefier now) and the boss has only lost 1/3 of its life. On the other hand, the fight is not as dangerous as I envisioned. The bolts travels towards the golem every time and those that don´t pass to the sides get absorbed by the golem. The greatest danger is when the golem dies and the "overspill" continues to travel. I feel that I will have a hard time keeping the concentration up as long as will be needed with this tactic. Therefore, I switch to Fire Golem + Amplify Damage. More than five times as effective! Besides, the Fire Golem has a lot more life and it actually became less dangerous using this golem despite more blobs triggered by Holy Fire. A short while later, the moment of triumph had arrived. All the way up to and including Act 1 Hell full cleared by a wacky little skellimancer (even though he has a big golem and lots of curses).

This was the fight that convinced me that the build actaully WAS Hell viable (although painfully slow in some parts of the game. SIX bloody hours to clear Frozen Tundra!)

Later, Bengt went on to become my only Guardian so far...

11. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I don't know if I have a story worthy of this hallowed place...Most of mine amount to 2 hours fighting Diablo doing 50-100 dmg or something of the sorts.

In 1.10 it get's interesting...I remember when I took my hybrid Assassin into the pits and spawned 2 archer packs, one Might, cursed, multi-shot the other CE, conviction, thank god no lightning. However, I was in MF gear, didn't know much about MB at the time, had no Reapers Toll on Merc, low resists...etc. I eventually had to buy armour and claws just to try to make a corpse retrieval possible...which it really wasn't as I spent the better part of an hour trying to kill these 2 boss packs, luring away one archer or two at a time (they don't like to be lured) and kicking her...without CB, without good boots, without IAS, using Fade since BoS would mean instant death. Eventually CoS at skill lvl 1 sufficed and I retrieved my body (bodies...50 or so) and decided that lvl 2 of the pits was no place for a hybrid kicker, with or without CoS, and then I started another character to run Meph for hammerdin equip...(Vega Sorc).
    Usually my toughest fights are because I'm too stubborn to Save and Exit.

12. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I was playing 1.09 I think when this happened. I was trying to rescue Anya on Hell difficulty with my bowazon, something which should have been very routine. My might merc and I are cruising along at a very good clip, and at players 8 of course. I turn a corner in the frozen river and bam! Merc dead, I'm thinking wtf...huh? Merc dead? Then I see it: Extra Strong, Extra Fast Fanaticism minotaur boss. I was dead before I finished reading it. Seeing as he had already spawned players8, there was nothing I could do but keep on dying while trying to get my corpse. Needless to say, it was a rough battle.

13. King's Specter

King's Specter IncGamers Member

I've had plenty of classic fun with Heyfatso, but more recently I had the Hell ancients clean the floor with my BF zon.

She was doing very well with an etheral crescent moon small crescent and no AR, but that also meant that she couldn't HIT the ancints!

For some reason, they would completely ignore the merc and shadowmaster and come right for her. After two hours of trial, error and gear changes, she finally put on aldur's armor and boots (150% AR), angel's ammy and ring (1000+ AR), lavagouts (100% ? enchant AR) and a scheafer's hammer (700ish AR). At the start, she would tag them all with a kelpie snare to slow them down (using a kelpie as a ranged weapon is pretty funny, actually) and then try to concentrate fire on whoever was chasing her.

It still took three tries but she finally got them. She finished off the last one (Mr. WW) with one potion remaining and no merc, IIRC.

-KS

14. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

My first fight with the ancients in 1.10. I was using my smiter pally and I hadn't learned yet that Fire Enchanted Ancients are usually bugged.

I was SOOO pissed during those fights. Finally dropped them though.

15. farting bob

farting bob Banned

my barb in the chaos sanctuary for the first time when i didnt knwo about IM was nasty. i couldnt understand how they killed me so fast... :lol:
    20+deaths later i find out that IM is the cause, and then as soon as i see any ob knights i ran like hell. :lol::lol:
    now of course i laugh manically at them.. ahh the joys of elemental attacks...
    EDIT; if my fartarian gets that far then iexpect the hell ancients will repalce the CS experience as the hardest fight. in nm, im hoping to do it in under 30 mins, for hell in sp it will be down to my merc to tke o all 3 i think, whcih isnt good...

16. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

my worst fight was with a zealot against the NM ancients (I later gave up on this guy). this was before I knew about rerolling these guys. One (the ranged ancient) spawned PI and Manaburn, and I had nothing I could do against him. I ended up getting him hooked on one of the rocks, and ran 3/4 a screen away. He was hooked so he would throw and miss, but not run away. Then I stood there with no potions and used my level 1 Fist of Heaven to SLOWWWLY whittle down his health. I would use meditation to regen manna as fast as I could, then switch to convition and FoH him about 3 times, then repeat.

I guesss it wasn't hard, it jsut took a really, really long time

17. Brass_Monkey

Brass_Monkey IncGamers Member

I had a pretty nice battle the other night with my Fishymancer, nothing overly dramatic or hard but it was nice to see my skeletons doing their job for once. NM Canyon of the Magi, on my way to the tomb. I step out of the waypoint and BAM, Boss pack of Crushers. Curse, wait.. what's this? Another boss pack? Um.. crap? Curse.. wait.. oh crap no, not a third... Yep, three boss packs of Crushers, one with Holy Freeze.. took me 25 minutes, one merc resurrection, a belt full of potions, a trip to the Cold Plains for more skeletons, and 2 trips to town for pep talks, but I finally managed to crush the Crushers (with frequent use of CE :D).
    </Monkey>