Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Your guitar pick?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ~Kazama Fury~, Mar 21, 2005.

1. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

Your guitar pick?

Hello,

My friend is going on vacation and left his acoustic guitar with me, knowing I've been wanting to learn how to play for a long time now. Its also a bit old to start, but anywho.

I started practicing the chords and so far, its going ok, but my fingers definately need to get used to it. Time sure flies by.

So I was thinking, I am missing something... A guitar pick! A bunch of friends play the guitar and they carry their pick all over the place. To my surprise, they even have interesting stories on how they acquired it and why that specific pick suits them. So I was wondering if you guys have anything like that to share? If possible, a picture of it?

Yes this thread is silly. I am just thinking what kind of pick should I get. I was google'ing for pick screenshots and some were 60$! wow! Do you guys know someone that has such an expensive pick?

This thread is so going to get buried.

2. Cygnus434

Cygnus434 IncGamers Member

Picks are awkward...I play bass with my fingers. :thumbsup:

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Yup, I haven't learned to use my pinky yet(not really strong enough to pluck sideways with it) . Bass > Guitar

I have a pick though, it was in a big jar full of other similar picks, cost a few pennies. Its black with green letters. Still looks like the day I bought it.

So there you go.

4. Cygnus434

Cygnus434 IncGamers Member

hehe, ya...I dumped my acoustic guitar to grab a bass....I finally found my voice in the sound and tone of the bass. However, drumming is my first love.

But ya, I never use my pinky and only use my ring finger for triplets on a single string.

Sorry for the hi-jack! I imagine I would probably hold onto a pick if it had some special inspiration attached to it...maybe it was the pick used by your guitar hero or something....other than that, I see no reason--just more of a chance to lose it!

5. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

i bust out the synthesizer when i need to do a guitar thing

6. Donkey Button

Donkey Button IncGamers Member

I found this teal transparent pick on the ground in Taco Bell once and I kept it. I played with it and really loved the sound so I still have it. I use it for guitar and sometimes for bass when I feel like really thrashin, or when I'm just playing straight root notes, which usually go hand in hand together.

7. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

60$ for a pick?? I don't know what kind of picks you're looking at but a 1$ pick will do just fine.

8. Riegn

Riegn IncGamers Member

Well I play bass as well, and over the years Iv mostly used my fingers, Although I will use a pick when im hitting some chords on the bass or when my hands been hurt. I really dont have any interesting stories behind the once i have used. But my chief pick (had a native chief on it) has lasted me about 7 months now, somewhat amazed at that. Most i spend on a pick was $10 it was some felt wood mixture which sounded as close to my fingers as any pick could, Broke a few bones in the hand so I needed a pick that would sound kinda like my fingers.

9. Donkey Button

Donkey Button IncGamers Member

Dude even $1 is too much, you can get them for like 10-25 cents.

10. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Amen brother. :clap:

11. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

This makes no sense. My favorite pick to play with is one that a Green Day guitarist hucked at a friend of mine. I don't even like the band anymore. I had their CD when I was in 6th grade. However, I play guitar so much better when I use this pick.

However when I play bass, there's nothing better than my finger.

12. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

how do you manage to keep the pick(s) for 7 months and such?, when i buy mine i have them for 1 week then i loose them, and have to rebuy

13. Riegn

Riegn IncGamers Member

I keep em in my strap, Pockets on the strap are very handy at pick loss prevention

14. bustme

bustme IncGamers Member

or you can slide it between the strings of the head of your guitar.

15. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I usually buy them 50 at the time, coz i loose them alot. The green Dunlops will do, the hard kind.

16. garublador

garublador IncGamers Member

I'd start off with the Dunlop Tortex picks. Get a few of each of the differet colors to see which thickness you prefer. You should be able to get all the picks you need to do this for around $5. If you can, get them from a locally owned store. Sometimes they only have expensive packets of picks at the chains. You might luck out and they'll have some Tortex picks with their store name and phone number on them that they usually sell really cheap or give away.

17. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

wow I am surprised with the feedback, thanks.

Currently got too much studying to do, so I dont have time to go to a music store and buy some picks. However, the same friend of mine who passed me his guitar gave me 2 picks for the time being.

One of them is a dunlop pick, not sure what tortex means but its grey. I google'ed dunlop tortex picks and none of them seemed to have the color grey so I guess its not a tortex.

18. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I think that the Tortex name comes from the old day's when the picks were made of turtle shell. Not allowed anymore so Dunlop developed the Tortex material to make pick's of, they feel less slipery between your fingers when playing than regular plastic.

19. Skips

Skips IncGamers Member

I mainly play rhythm so I prefer a fairly flexible pick to really get going with, I play bass to but always with my fingers/thumb gotta love slap bass. I got my pick at a nightclub, the night ended about 4am and suddenly the DJ starts throwing this random stuff out the crowd, I got:

3 ties (they were horrible)
    2 puzzles
    1 set of magnetic marbles
    5 picks
    a teddy bear
    and somthing else I cant remember at the moment

I love being 6'4 no one else got anything :D

20. garublador

garublador IncGamers Member

They also eventually mold to the shape of your grip on the pick. Anymore, it feels weird for me to hold a pick that's flat.