Your favourite keyboard shortcut

Gertlex

Banned
Re: Your favourite keyboard shortcut

ctrl + alt + s.

Mutes the laptop's speakers, but doesn't mute all sound.

'Tis a custom hotkey.

Gertlex

Banned

Bleh. Windows + D is better because you can reverse it too.

Even more ergonomically pleasing, I've found, is Ctrl+Alt+Space

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member

The complete opposite to a favourite.

I used Macs for over 20 years so when I got a PC I discovered how very, very, evil the Windows key is.

On a Mac keyboard the layout is Ctrl Alt Apple Space.
On a PC it is Ctrl Windows Alt Space.

For about six months I pressed the Windows key about a dozen times a day.

Gertlex

Banned

The complete opposite to a favourite.

I used Macs for over 20 years so when I got a PC I discovered how very, very, evil the Windows key is.

On a Mac keyboard the layout is Ctrl Alt Apple Space.
On a PC it is Ctrl Windows Alt Space.

For about six months I pressed the Windows key about a dozen times a day.
Meh. At least keyboards are standardized these days.

Here's dad's ancient and dirty keyboard that he loves. Might be from 1989 (hah, no Windows keys anywhere then). I think it weighs 8 lbs.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member

Was just logging in and started typing "In the Middle Mous"

Um, yeah the middle mouse button is used to open links in new tabs. Yeah, anyhow. Nice link Gertlex :azn: comprehensive indeed. Ctrl + t followed by Alt + Home (new tab + navhome). Is there one shortcut for this does anyone know??

That page also had this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301583

For firefox fanboys: http://lesliefranke.com/files/reference/firefoxcheatsheet.html :thumbsup:

BobCox2

Diabloii.Net Member

Here's dad's ancient and dirty keyboard that he loves. Might be from 1989 (hah, no Windows keys anywhere then). I think it weighs 8 lbs.
Those old IBM Model M Keyboards are like the old Ma-Bell phones, Drop it bang it smack it around all you want, they never Die.
Plus due to the Buckling spring you can really feel and hear the response when you press a key.

Those old IBM Keyboards Model M are like the old phones, Drop it bang it smack it around all you want, they never Die.
Plus due to the buckling springs you can really feel and hear the response when you press a key.
Seriously, those keyboards are the most annoying things ever. You don't need a deep keystroke for tactile feedback(not that I think you need any at all if you know how to type) and the sound, that godawful sound.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member

I love the sound they make, but that's just me.

Um, I really like Ctrl + T (Opera people know why), but if I'm gaming I love to advertise the virtues of Alt+F4. :evil:

BobCox2

Diabloii.Net Member

Those old IBM Keyboards Model M are like the old phones, Drop it bang it smack it around all you want, they never Die.
Plus due to the buckling springs you can really feel and hear the response when you press a key. They are collectible and still used quite a bit.

If anyone wants a keyboard like this in design but upgraded to the modern layouts and new in condition see this link. http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member

That was another thing that took a great deal of getting used to in the Mac -> PC transition. The Mac keyboard has low profile keys on a concave keyboard while the PC has big bulky keys on a flat but tilted keyboard. Oh and the stupid sized Backspace key still gets me regularly.

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member

Windows+D and alt+tab changed how I used the computer when I found out about them. They are just nice though, ctrl+c and v are pretty required.

crawlingdeadman

Diabloii.Net Member

cut/copy/paste are in a league all their own. other than them i use ctrl + shift + esc a lot at work, but i'd probably have to go with alt+tab as 'favorite'

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

Alt-Ctrl-Delete?

More recently Windows key-D changed my life. I didn't know about Windows-M, what's the point of that?

I hardly ever use a run box, maybe if you're in IT it'd be handy but it seems pretty useless to me.

I had to physically restrain myself from ripping out the windows keys on my first 104 keyboard. Worst keyboard ever made would have to be the Microsoft Ergonomic. I've taken ****s that would make a more serviceable keyboard.

I like my current keyboard (damn well should, took me long enough to find one like it. Stupid keyboards these days have ****loads of stupid buttons on them), but I always liked the old soft touch keyboard my parents used to own. It was like typing on silk.

Those old IBM Model M Keyboards are like the old Ma-Bell phones, Drop it bang it smack it around all you want, they never Die.
Plus due to the Buckling spring you can really feel and hear the response when you press a key.
Man, that took me back. Good old Clunky.

That was another thing that took a great deal of getting used to in the Mac -> PC transition. The Mac keyboard has low profile keys on a concave keyboard while the PC has big bulky keys on a flat but tilted keyboard. Oh and the stupid sized Backspace key still gets me regularly.
Mac keyboards are ****ing rubbish, too many keys jammed too close. And I hate keyboards with small backspace keys, I hunted around for ages to find one that had a nice big one.