Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Your Favorite Classic Char?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by RebirthOfMak, Apr 15, 2005.

1. RebirthOfMak

RebirthOfMak IncGamers Member

Your Favorite Classic Char?

Hey everyone. Just wondering what all your guys favorite chars are. Personally i like lance barbs.

Mak~

2. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

a godly twinked out frenzy barb

3. stanzaman

stanzaman IncGamers Member

I like all kinds of builds, but the one I've probably played the most is the whirlwind barb. They are just so versatile and are the most effective magic find character. The one I have played the most is a pole barb with a godly rare partizan that his previous version (a grim scythe barb) found. Pole barbs are rare, and partizan users are really rare.

4. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

Pre 1.10 frenzy barb, with axes, hammers or long swords. Hmm... I suppose frenzying with good damage cinq or other dagger class weapon would be fun.

Zealots with .Fan/freeze flashing aura's in 1.01-1.09 were really fun too.

Honorable mention: pure warcry barbs. esp the ones with ww to get into position. 1.10 boosted this char type so they can kill now esp with amp curse.
    pois nova necros

5. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Lance Barbs before they nerfed leap attack.
    Spearzons before they ruined fend.
    Bone/summoners good then and now.
    HF/zealots same.

6. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

I guess it would have to be...

Yeah, Zons! (did you gues I was going to say that?) I love the ranged play. Multi or strafezons can be quite powerful in classic. But on the oher hand, barbs are fun, to.

7. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Army of the undead

My favorite build: Skelemancers (none of that limited to 10 at level 20 junk 1.10 LoD put on it). I had a real army following me everywhere I went...demons and undead flew before me in terror. Sure, my skeletons would get wasted by BigD but I could always just leave the Chaos Sanctuary, go to the Pandemonium Fortress, and start back out towards the River of Flame, picking off monsters I intentionally left alone so I could come back later, slay them, and raise them as my own unholy army of undeath.

I loved WW Barbs before they got nerfed. I could go to Hell and back literally and only consume one rejuv potion due to high life and mana steals (that, and the enemies didn't swarm the hell out of you). PSkulls had real value (no Amn or Vex runes to worry about...a PSkull does the job of both, albeit not as well) and putting three PSkulls into a Great Sword made me a demon slaying machine (outside of classic, such a weapon would be a joke).

8. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

I love static/orb sorc's I just like being able to say I have a sorc that has maxed static. I am trying to become a fan of pointed stick barbs but I can't find me a good pointed stick... sigh maybe ill just steal one of yours?

9. Amarande

Amarande IncGamers Member

My last Classic character (I've been thinking of creating some new ones lately, it's been awhile since I played one), and probably my favorite, was my old Sorc.

I created her near the very beginning of the first 1.10 ladder; even got to about #200 or so before I gave up on her. Quite fun to play in Normal and Nightmare, though she bogged down quite badly on Hell (she was pure fire, made to try out the new skill synergy system with meteor).

Sadly, she was abandoned eventually, mainly due to fun factor. You see, she wasn't really made to solo Hell, she needed a party. Unfortunately, I made one other mistake with her, and that was that I did not learn Tele. I didn't think it was all that important, and it wasn't, until that final day.

That day came when she needed to pass Act III Hell. You see, this was very early in the ladder, so there weren't that many people on USWest Classic Softcore Ladder who were at this point on Hell. The two people that apparently were available at the time to party with, were a couple of Barbs. Now, the problem occurred that these Barbs decided it would be neat to NOT kill the Hell Council. It was decided (despite my objections ...) that we would SKIP the Council quest, and instead find a game that had reached Act IV, and make a run for it to the Durance 2 waypoint. Note, of course, that none of us would be able to help each other out with a TP, due to the new anti rush system that we all know is oh so GREAT :rolleyes: ...

Here's when things started to break down.

First of all, this was my first taste of the new Durance of Hate level 2. Y'know, the new huge annoying one that we've all come to know and love by now. Thus, I didn't have any idea how long this run for it would be.

Then there's the fact that, despite my telling my teammates that I didn't have tele, we need to stick together etc., they just go Leap Attacking through the Durance leaving me in the dust. Never mind the fact that there's plenty of fire immunes here that slow me down a lot. Now here I am trying to survive alone in the Durance to catch up to them, and need I remind you that there are no 40% FRW boots in Classic either ...

Basically, instead of working together, they EXPECTED me to have tele like there is no legitimate excuse not to (hogwash, my 1.09 Sorc on East didn't get tele till about level 75 :) ), and when I told them that I didn't make it, I missed quest etc., they pretty much told me off, called me a noob and other words that would be against the Forum Rules to mention. :mad:

After this, I tried unsuccessfully to find another Hell Act 3 game on Classic ladder, and after this, my love for this Sorc faded rapidly. Soon after, she was converted to Expansion, looted of her better items which were then used to twink LOD characters, and abandoned.

I may try Classic again soon, though. Hopefully things are better now :)

10. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

to me, the char that is the most fun to play is the bonemancer. There are only a few of builds in d2classic that can solo in CS in an 8 player game, and this is one of them. True, youll need a nice amount of +skills to kill at an OK speed, but youre safe thanks to your bone armor, bone prison and bone wall. A pack of oblivion knights with conviction will hurt a hammerdin really bad for example, but for a boner - no problem, just prison those maggots and blast away.

A ww barb is also great fun. im the type of guy that likes to smash a big horde of enemies in the face with my maul and this is the only build that can do this. not to mention that its party friendly thanks to the warcries.

11. Inu

Inu Banned

Before 1.10 ruined Classic, WW Barb and Static/Orb Sorc were my favorie classes.

12. JoeDamned

JoeDamned Banned

People ***** way too much about the changes, the ONLY people who should be complaining are the bowazons, I feel for them, they can no longer own. Even with a 120+ bow, guided arrows still won't do nearly as much.

WW barbs are just right, maybe the ww doesn't get affected by speed, it is impossible to say however just because you have a big hunking maul and 20 ww doesn't mean you will own all barbs, no no no.

Plus ice sorc's are still extremely strong.

13. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Here is a link to a thread in the ama forum which may be of interest to you regarding tthe nerfing of bowazons.

Click here

14. Inu

Inu Banned

Currently using a 291 Martel De Fer, 352 Strength. Killing in Hell Act 4 River of Flame just doesn't work. It's incredibly slow even with one of the best Martels on Europe Ladder HCC. If you say Barbs are just right you'll have to compare to other classes;

While a Barbarian spends a good 3-4 minutes killing off 10 Urdars a 'Hammerdin' will breeze through entire Act 4 (including CS) with enemies just falling dead. A Fireball Sorc cleans out everything except Fire Immunes in just a few hits, even faster with Meteor (which is rarely used since enemies die too fast for meteor to even be able to land), a Blizzard Sorc is perhaps the most redicilously overpowered of them all, Hell Act 4 enemies dying from one hit in 8p games... Chain Lightning Sorc kills off everything in my opinion, the most effective manner but in Classic your mana pool will make you lose interest in playing her. Necros never been fast soloers (except in 1.02 or so when CE blew away entire levels with 2 casts).

Only Strafe/Multizons sucks as badly as, if not worse, than Barbs.

If you level 70 people disagree, you're wrong. I currently play on 94 Ladder Hardcore Barb (Europe).

15. JoeDamned

JoeDamned Banned

I am talking about dueling dude, barbs are great at dueling, you can make a speeder or a bvb, etc.

HOWEVER! If you want to make a PVM, barb is a terrible choice, in my opinion D2 is all about dueling and trading, however my opinion is not the same as other people..

In fact I have just recently noticed that pvm is a LOT more fun then I thought it was before if you have the gear.

If you really want an amazing pvm barbarian, I have a question;
    Why the hell are you using whirlwind?

You can just use beserk...

16. Classics

Classics IncGamers Member

Whirlwinding barbs do fine in Player vs Monster. People can just be a bit foolish, as they don't notice the importance of some mods. 1) Decent damage (900+) and 2) CRUSHING BLOW! Fools don't have high crushing blow. Coupled with the insane hit frequency of WW and 900+ damage, it can easily kill. In fact, WW isn't the only viable melee skill. I have a Single Player Zealadin who is level 80. He can solo completely. It took me 6 monthes or so to get him that high, but he works. People just don't understand the importance of some things (AKA, like you said, Beserk).

Bowazons are decent PvMers and fun PvPers. But, the one misconception people make about a Bowazon nowadays if the fact that they 'have to be physical damage', when in fact, Physical Damage bowazons are the weakest out there. A good combination with a 90+ rune bow, 1.1k Frozen arrow and 75+ pierce, they can take down anything with time. I can solo *Hell CS in 15 minutes with my Single Player Bowazon, and she doesn't have much in the leeway of equipment; in fact, she doesn't even do physical damage. Her level 23(?) Valkyrie takes down Lord De Seis. What I'm saying just proves the more you stay away from conforming or cookie cutter characters, the more you'll understand about game mechanics and have more ability to make different types of characters.

17. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

<3 Crushing Blow

I liked my Smiter, and in PvP a bonemancer was pretty fun. NvN was a blast.

18. JoeDamned

JoeDamned Banned

I would make a smiter but getting a gnasher is a pain in the ASS!

So lil people have one, I have YET to see a single person have one for trade.

19. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

To tell you the truth people suck about that. They sell it to Charsi, when it's very useful in half of the PvP situations. For a Smiter, it really comes down to 3 options: +2 flail (range 3, fast), +2 scepter (+skills), or Gnasher (enough said). The first two are so expensive when you get into good ones, and perform very well. The third performs better in some situations (e-shield), but yet people disregard it. It's sad.

20. RebirthOfMak

RebirthOfMak IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the replies :D.

Mak~