Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Your experiences with a build like this? (PNova + Skellies)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Har-Megiddo, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Har-Megiddo

Har-Megiddo IncGamers Member

Your experiences with a build like this? (PNova + Skellies)

I'm going to make the move to ladder in order to get some of those ladder only goodies, and so I already started making a summoner (as my commando mancer was a LOT of fun). I am thinking of:

P&B Skills:
    1 Teeth
    1 Bone Armour
    20 PDagger
    20 PExplosion
    20 PNova (so my PNova has the max synergies)
    62 total
    Summoning Skills:
    20 Raise Skeletons
    20 Skeleton Mastery
    1 clay golem
    1 golem mastery
    1 summon resist
    42 total
    Curse Skills:
    1 Amp
    1 Weaken
    1 Terror
    1 Decrep
    1 Iron Maiden
    1 Life Tap
    1 Lower Resist
    7 total

Which makes this character complete @ 113 skills. 113-13 (12 from quests)=100+1 (you start at skill lvl 1), and that indicates I would have to be lvl 101 (impossible to get) in order to complete the build.

So dropping the points from poison dagger, it is lvl 18 @ 99, and supposing the highest I get is 90 (normal lvl for most of my chars), he'd have the above skils but PDagger would be lvl 9 vs. 20.

Would you change anything to maximize my dmg?

2. patheticloser

patheticloser IncGamers Member

I would like to see an answer to this as well. I am considering building a psn necro next. The problem of course is that for me lvl 80 to 90 is about as far as I will likley get. So that means about 90-100 skill points to distribute. Clearly max skeleton and max SM is a good idea. But it is not possible to do this AND reach the highest possible PSN damage AND get all of the curses.

Lower Resist, as well as Summon Resist seem to be a must for every necro build. I would like to have these as well as Attract to keep the monsters at bay. Bone Armor of course is good, especilly if you can find marrowwalks.

So the big question is this: Do I sacrafice PSN damage, or do I sacrifice my wall of skeletons in order to get some of these very usefull secondary skills?

One possible solution is to use a good pair of summoning items on the weapon switch, and the White runeword would be good for this build. What else should I do?

3. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

My newest build is just that. Full on poison mancer, with max skellies.

Like this:
    20 Skele Warrior
    1 Skele Mastery
    1 Clay Golem
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist

1 Teeth
    1 CE
    Max Poison Dagger
    Max Poison Explosion
    Max Poison Nova
    1 Bone Armor

1 ea curse

The crappy part is that I use AMP for my skellies to really rock, while I should be using lower resistance for my poison.

Either way, it works well. The most extremely important thing is to have TONS of +skills to your summon tree (or all necro skills) to buff up your skellies.

1 pt into bone armor is for marrowalk usage. gives great life bonus.

stats:
    str: 118 after items
    dex: enuf for 75 block with homo
    vit: rest
    nrg: 60

gear:
    shako / vipermagi / arm of king / homo / marrowalks / soj / bk ring / frosties / mara's / arachnid

edit:
    for lvl'ing purposes, max skel's first then start on your poison skills.

luv

4. Dazuni

Dazuni IncGamers Member

I am working on a melee dagger mancer like this:

Max poison tree
    Max SW and SM
    10 points left,
    1 in Bone amour
    1 in Clay Golem
    1 in all curse except attract and confuse.

Maxing SW at the moment and it rocks. it will help leveling. next will max poison tree, Point in to SM when needed.

will use marrow walk adding 500++ armour. 4 trang (not helm), partial angelic set and fanged knife (mailce).

strength 118
    dex block with trang shield.
    vita rest
    mana base

on switch weapon: burisa.

Might merc

5. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

From my experience I would take points away from skelly mastery. This is the last skill I would max. Right now in Hell I only have 1 natural point in SM and my skellies do ok.

For the curses you want dim vision for the black souls, period. Confuse is nice in the early going. What I found myself doing was confusing monsters, letting one drop then poison exploding. This will get you through normal.

You want 1 in ce for sure. As hell comes on and there are increasing poison immunes you will appreciate it. I don't use bone armor, might get it along the way. With 900 life and 25% dr from trang's it's not high on my list.

So far it's a heck of a fun build.

6. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

This was my build when the ladder started. It's fun and quite good, but I got real slow when going through hell durance. The problem is there are a lot of poison immunes and you skellies are not exactly fast killing blunderbores and other monsters.

I started using firewall from trangs.

The solution should be putting one point in revives. Which should make it a very good build since both skellies and PN require very little mana and there is a lot of mana left to cast revives.

(PN requires little mana because you have to wait 2 secs before you cast it again)

7. Tapewar

Tapewar IncGamers Member

My suggestion: Get the "white" wand runeword that has lower resist in it, it will save you 7 skill pts of getting all the way to lower resist. As well, with white wand, you wont need to put into bone armor eaither (but still get the nice marrowwalk bug hehe), so that saves you another skill pt right there. If your wand can get summon resist on it as well, that would also save 2 skill pts (i love clay golem too much not to put 1 into it). Pretty much the same build i am doing, i think it should work quite well :) make sure your skelies, and nova with synergies are all maxed, then place the remainder (should be able to get a few around lvl 90+) into skeleton mastery.

8. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Considering the build lifetap and decrepify will probably have a point invested anyways. Use a deaths web or a leoric for this build. Not a white wand, that's mostly a bonamancer type wep.

For p/s (poison skelly) I say there is usually 2 ways to go about doing it, depending on how rich you are.

If you have a deaths web do as you are doing, putting remaining points into SM, and use that instead of your leoric.

But, IMO, if you don't have one, use a leoric, max SM, and invest in one of PN's synergy's last, as you will be dependant on your skellies to deal most of the damage. Unfortunately PN's damage isn't as incredible w/o great gear :(

9. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

My guy is level 76 now and cruising through Hell Act 2. As I want to use Poison Dagger to kill bosses faster so obviously I'm dropping points in Poison Explosion rather than that. Also as gvandale says max RSW and then put points into SM slowly and as you need them. So far my skellies are doing fine with a Holy Freeze merc to back them up.

My kit is
    Lore Helmet, (my shako is on other Necro)
    Amulet +1 Skill, resists
    Smoke Armour
    Trang Oul Wing
    Trang Belt
    Trang Gloves
    Marrowwalks
    2 Rare Rings for resists and other good mods

Three main weapons are used depending on the target and how I feel.
    Death Web for Nova, Fleshripper for Boss killing or BlackBog for mixed Nova and stabbing :lol: I do like the variety this gives and each weapon requires very different tactics. And I have a Gull dagger for mf runs in the pit... you can even hit things and kill with it using Poison Dagger skill.

On reverse tab I have Arm of King Leoric and a + 3 summoning head and at the begining of an expedition I further buff my skellies with a +3 Amulet and +3 Circlet kept in my stash.

One thing I'd recommend is that you put one point in revives to help back up your skellies in late Hell as they can be taken down unless you have a lot of plus skills.
    This is build is probably the most varied and most fun for a Necro but is a bit more dependent on equipment than other types since you are trying to develop 2 main groups of skills. Anyway Good Luck and have fun.

10. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

You sacrifice skelly power. After some playing with this build ive realised one thing: the poison nova deals much greater damage than the skellys. And basically, its you casting the ultimate, killer nova, while the skellys are only up for tanking.

Death's Web (MUST)/Homunculus.

dont ask me about switch tho...

11. moby

moby IncGamers Member

I have this build, more or less, on HC Ladder. Right now he is level 84 (just about 85).

I maxed SW and SM first, then PN and now I'm working on PE, all other skills only have 1 point. My PN isn't astronomical, but it does speed up my Skellies killing. Still the main clearing skill is CE, but I only put one point in it.

If your in HC you gotta have DimVision.

I have 11 skellies, 5 mages, and 10 revives (I hardly use and only put in 1 point). I don't use arm of king lorec, as I find carin shard better with it's life and mana boast, and I really don't like the Bone Prision % to cast on arm of king loric.

The rest of his equipment:

Shako
    Skin of the ViperMagi
    Trangs Gloves
    Waterwalks
    Upgraded NightSmoke
    Humunculos
    Carin Shard
    Raven Frost
    Rare Ring with Resist
    Rare Amulet with skill, resist, dex, and life

-moby

12. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I started off as a summoner with mine, and had 7 Skeletons running around killing for me at first(with +skills) and put 1 point into Skeleton Mastery.

Then I chose to focus on getting my Poison skills maxed...after they was done, I finiished off Skeletons and am now finishing off Mastery.

If I had to do it all again, I would have kept my HF merc(like I had at first) but went with Might to further increase Skeletons damage.

It's been a very fun build for me...and I have rushed many people with it also.

HoS

13. tpiercymtv

tpiercymtv IncGamers Member

Everyone has put points in skelly I find this a waste of points. If you are building a poison necro then just use poison!! Okay your question is how do I deal with poison immunes, well put those points you where going to put in skellys and put them in wall and bone spirit. I find I can kill poison immunes easy enuff by walling them in then hitting them with spirit finishing off with ce. I mean if you have like +10-15 in your bone tree why not use it. Yes to kill faster exploit the marrows bug it's what i am doing and I am killing plenty fast enuff. Just my 2 cents...you don't always need skelss.

14. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Well....The whole idea(for me) was to make a hybrid.

What are you suppose to put the extra points into then? Bone Wall and then what else?

With only 1 point into all Curses(except last 2 on left side) I have 14 with plus skills..and find that adding more into LR a waste...and getting a %60 LR not worth it when I would waste 3-4 points just to get to it.

Maxxing out Gumby isn't worth it...it's a 1 point wonder. And unless you like looking at your extra points go unused after all poison is taken care of...and maxxing CE is not really needed with a Venomancer anyway.

HoS

15. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

I disagree. IMO for PvM skeleton warriors are ideal not only do they protect as a meat sheild but they also do relatively good damage as a bonus plus they are not nearly as mana demand like all out spell necro. You spend 60 odd SP on your poison skill with a realistic 30-40 sp spare so why not go with a hybrid.

you said yourself "then just use poison!! " then why do u then bother with bone spells "wall and bone spirit"? Poison immunes are not even a worry as (for me) crop up way less plus your skeleton would rip them apart.

That my 2 cents :)

Kyo

16. tpiercymtv

tpiercymtv IncGamers Member

Not saying anyting is wrong using skels it's going bone/poison just it keeps all your pts in one bin as it were. The reality of a poison nec is that he won't (in most circumstances) kill as fast as a sorc, so you will need defence of some sort. I just wanted to make a non minion necro (well except golley). I find walls very usefull, especially once you get used to them, although I did wish they would stop gloam or snakes' ranged attacks. Another skill unused by necros that I find extremely usefull is attract, this combined with bone wall is awesome. To be exact I did put alot of points in wall, which boosts my armour and right now I'm putting the rest of my points in Bone Spirit.

17. IMCL85

IMCL85 IncGamers Member

I like this build more then just massive summon nec since the minion he had is lagging me all the time. Beside I can have atack on my own instead have to rely all on my minion.

18. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

Instead of skele warriors how about skele mages...

i mean think about it... your poison gets the enemy to 1 hp fast... all you need is a mage to do 1 dmg to finish the enemy off...

i made a post about makeing a skele mage/poison necro a day or 2 ago...

i think skele mages can be really neat idea.. because they serve a purpose, look cool, and no one ever expects it (or think they plain suck).

.... if you do skele mages the lower resist curse chains smoothly to help them.

19. HarbingersOfSouls

HarbingersOfSouls IncGamers Member

The only problem with mages...has been that they die alot faster than skeletons. And I got tired of having to recasting them all the time.

HoSv2

20. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

What my summoner/poison'mancer will look like.
    20 RS
    20 SM
    1 revive
    1 clay golem
    1 blood golem
    1 iron golem
    1 golem mastery
    1 summon resist
    1 amplify
    1 confuse (and its pre req's)
    20 poison dagger
    20 poison explode
    20 poison nova.

thats 108 skill points used out of a possible 110.(if i remembered everything, anyway)