Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

You may only get the same unique once per game???

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GooberGrape, Feb 11, 2004.

1. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

You may only get the same unique once per game???

someone help me out, i was not aware of this limitation until i just now read it in a guide. it raises several questions:

how do you explain my two hawkmails on the same character?
    what happens if i roll the same unique twice? does the second one EXPLODE???
    is it possible for Baal to drop two windforces at the same time?

:confused: feeling noobish :confused:

2. XaviarGangrel

XaviarGangrel IncGamers Member

I think it means that two of the same Unique cannot drop in the same game.

So if a Hawkmail drops, another wont drop until you've restarted the game, by quiting out to the main menu, and starting again. It doesnt matter if tehres already one in the game on a character when the game starts as far as I know.

I think it IS possible for two of the same Unique to drop from the same monster, at the same time, just very very unlikely...

3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

so basically, if i'm grail running, it would benefit me to do 100 pit runs in a row.

if i'm item running, it would be better to exit and restart every time i get a good item, in the hopes that it will duplicate.

:D

4. Duffman

Duffman IncGamers Member

statistically no. unless you are looking for a specific unique that is already found in the current game. if you exit and restart each unique now has the lowest chance to be found, but if you are in a game and constantly search and find various uniques it then makes the other uniques that haven't been found that much more easy to be found.

i hope that wasn't too complicated to read :scratch:

5. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

FYI, you don't have to exit D2 completely to reset the unique item drops... all you have to do is exit the game with that character, go back to the screen that lets you choose "Single Player" - the one with the big flaming D2 picture - and start another game with any char. you don't have to exit to the desk top or anything like that. the "one of a certain unique per game" rule would however apply if you do a pit run, then a RoF run, then go kill Thresh, Eldritch, and Pindle, and then clear the WSK and Baal... all without ever exiting the game.

6. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

I'm not so sure that's correct, Duffman. IIRC, an item type is generated, then the quality, be it unique, rare, cracked, or whatever is rolled on top of it. Thus, your chances are increased in only limited situations, e.g. finding an Azurewrath after finding a Lightsabre in a game.

Can anyone corroborate?

7. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

if you find a Lightsaber or Templar's Might or one of the other uniques with multiple items of teh same type, and keep playing for long enough (or get lucky enough) to roll a unique of that same item type that is dropped by a monster with high enough mlvl to drop Azurewrath ot Tyrael's Might, then you will be gauranteed to get the other version of that unique than you got the first time. otherwise you just get a triple durability rare item.

8. Duffman

Duffman IncGamers Member

well yeah, i guess you are right. i was thinking what you said but wrote something different. I knew I would screw it up. You are right that it only works in limited situations because, like you said, each item that drops first gets item type then item quality.

9. moi

moi IncGamers Member

No you will not. It will once again roll with all possiblities considered; and if it decided to drop another of the unique that has already dropped, you will get a rare instead. So your chances do not go up at all.

10. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Does this apply to unique rings and amulets as well (even if you can´t see if they have triple durability)?

11. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

yup it does, and also to all items with no durability such as bows and phase blades etc

12. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Ooh. that's good to know. I had been misinformed. :)

13. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

My experience disagrees with you - when you generate a new Unique item from the multiple-unique item types, the one that has already spawned is omitted.

I could check more thoroughly, but my suspicion is that's how it is.

14. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

ok ok ok but
    is it possible for Baal to drop 3 windforces at the same time?

:xmad: :flip:

15. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement IncGamers Member

I know for a fact that multiple set items can drop in the same game (without exiting). I have had two Death’s swords drop from two different monsters, within about five minutes of each other.

And Monday night Hell Meph dropped two Nat’s Shadows at the same time. (I have a screenie on that one.)

Not sure about multiple uniques dropping together, though. :scratch:

16. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

for set items there's no limits on dropping. Not for same drop and not for same game drop. For example Andy can drop sigon's gloves and in the same game without restarting any other critter can drop the same.

For uniques getting the same item from one drop twice or more, is possible though rare. As for getting the same item from two different critters, this is not possible as the game marks the item found in that game. Thus if there's no more uniques for that base item, the game rolls and failed unique which is triple durability rare. If there are more uniques, then I think it's like Shade said, it'll drop the other one if the critter/container has the possibility of droping the other one in the first place, if not, it'll again drop a triple durability rare

17. moi

moi IncGamers Member

You are incorrect, sorry. :) Also, I might ask, what experience? This is not something that is easily seen in the game - there aren't many items with multiple unique versions, and all of the are either hard to find elites which I highly doubt you could ever get two to drop in one game, or rings and amulets, where there is know way to know whether it is a true rare or a failed unique.

18. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

I did a quick test using the Horadric Cube (my favourite toy in mods), and concocted a recipe as follows:

1 Mana Potion (any) -> Unique Sacred Armour, ilvl = 99

First one was Templar's, second was Tyrael's, third was 3x dur. rare.

Granted, this could have been a chance occurence if your statement was correct (with an 8 in 81 chance, I believe), but I'm quite capable of doing similar with Unique jewelry (rings/amulets) to further test this - the odds of rolling each Unique ring exactly once - with no intervening rares - are negligible. In fact I'll go do that right now :)

edit: Fortunately I'm also capable of proving myself wrong, 'twould seem.

Ring 1: Dwarf Star
    Ring 2: Manald Heal
    Ring 3: rare
    Ring 4: rare
    Ring 5: Ravenfrost

...etc.

So you were right initially, it appears. I really should check these things more thoroughly...

19. moi

moi IncGamers Member

Yes, I preformed testing similar to yours (both cube and modified monster drops actually, but same thing) a while back. I tested it because I was interested in it myself - because, if things work as we had originially hypothesized, then it would be quite a good strategy to get a strong high MF character and do a full Hell clear; you'd probably have bagged at least one good ring or ammy by then end. (SOJ kekekekekeke). But oh well; not everything is meant to be. :(

20. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

How did you make these rings again? With a cube resipe?

p.s. The statement above might sound a little noobish :uhhuh: