You may only get the same unique once per game???

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
You may only get the same unique once per game???

someone help me out, i was not aware of this limitation until i just now read it in a guide. it raises several questions:

how do you explain my two hawkmails on the same character?
what happens if i roll the same unique twice? does the second one EXPLODE???
is it possible for Baal to drop two windforces at the same time?

:confused: feeling noobish :confused:
 

XaviarGangrel

Diabloii.Net Member
I think it means that two of the same Unique cannot drop in the same game.

So if a Hawkmail drops, another wont drop until you've restarted the game, by quiting out to the main menu, and starting again. It doesnt matter if tehres already one in the game on a character when the game starts as far as I know.

I think it IS possible for two of the same Unique to drop from the same monster, at the same time, just very very unlikely...
 

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

so basically, if i'm grail running, it would benefit me to do 100 pit runs in a row.

if i'm item running, it would be better to exit and restart every time i get a good item, in the hopes that it will duplicate.

:D
 

Duffman

Diabloii.Net Member
statistically no. unless you are looking for a specific unique that is already found in the current game. if you exit and restart each unique now has the lowest chance to be found, but if you are in a game and constantly search and find various uniques it then makes the other uniques that haven't been found that much more easy to be found.


i hope that wasn't too complicated to read :scratch:
 

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
FYI, you don't have to exit D2 completely to reset the unique item drops... all you have to do is exit the game with that character, go back to the screen that lets you choose "Single Player" - the one with the big flaming D2 picture - and start another game with any char. you don't have to exit to the desk top or anything like that. the "one of a certain unique per game" rule would however apply if you do a pit run, then a RoF run, then go kill Thresh, Eldritch, and Pindle, and then clear the WSK and Baal... all without ever exiting the game.
 

wildjinn

Diabloii.Net Member
Duffman said:
statistically no. unless you are looking for a specific unique that is already found in the current game. if you exit and restart each unique now has the lowest chance to be found, but if you are in a game and constantly search and find various uniques it then makes the other uniques that haven't been found that much more easy to be found.


i hope that wasn't too complicated to read :scratch:
I'm not so sure that's correct, Duffman. IIRC, an item type is generated, then the quality, be it unique, rare, cracked, or whatever is rolled on top of it. Thus, your chances are increased in only limited situations, e.g. finding an Azurewrath after finding a Lightsabre in a game.

Can anyone corroborate?
 

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
wildjinn said:
I'm not so sure that's correct, Duffman. IIRC, an item type is generated, then the quality, be it unique, rare, cracked, or whatever is rolled on top of it. Thus, your chances are increased in only limited situations, e.g. finding an Azurewrath after finding a Lightsabre in a game.

Can anyone corroborate?
if you find a Lightsaber or Templar's Might or one of the other uniques with multiple items of teh same type, and keep playing for long enough (or get lucky enough) to roll a unique of that same item type that is dropped by a monster with high enough mlvl to drop Azurewrath ot Tyrael's Might, then you will be gauranteed to get the other version of that unique than you got the first time. otherwise you just get a triple durability rare item.
 

Duffman

Diabloii.Net Member
well yeah, i guess you are right. i was thinking what you said but wrote something different. I knew I would screw it up. You are right that it only works in limited situations because, like you said, each item that drops first gets item type then item quality.
 

moi

Diabloii.Net Member
whomhead said:
if you find a Lightsaber or Templar's Might or one of the other uniques with multiple items of teh same type, and keep playing for long enough (or get lucky enough) to roll a unique of that same item type that is dropped by a monster with high enough mlvl to drop Azurewrath ot Tyrael's Might, then you will be gauranteed to get the other version of that unique than you got the first time. otherwise you just get a triple durability rare item.
No you will not. It will once again roll with all possiblities considered; and if it decided to drop another of the unique that has already dropped, you will get a rare instead. So your chances do not go up at all.
 

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
moi said:
No you will not. It will once again roll with all possiblities considered; and if it decided to drop another of the unique that has already dropped, you will get a rare instead. So your chances do not go up at all.
Does this apply to unique rings and amulets as well (even if you can´t see if they have triple durability)?
 

Shade

Diabloii.Net Member
moi said:
No you will not. It will once again roll with all possiblities considered; and if it decided to drop another of the unique that has already dropped, you will get a rare instead. So your chances do not go up at all.
My experience disagrees with you - when you generate a new Unique item from the multiple-unique item types, the one that has already spawned is omitted.

I could check more thoroughly, but my suspicion is that's how it is.
 

Dave in the basement

Diabloii.Net Member
I know for a fact that multiple set items can drop in the same game (without exiting). I have had two Death’s swords drop from two different monsters, within about five minutes of each other.

And Monday night Hell Meph dropped two Nat’s Shadows at the same time. (I have a screenie on that one.)

Not sure about multiple uniques dropping together, though. :scratch:
 

Borlag

Diabloii.Net Member
for set items there's no limits on dropping. Not for same drop and not for same game drop. For example Andy can drop sigon's gloves and in the same game without restarting any other critter can drop the same.

For uniques getting the same item from one drop twice or more, is possible though rare. As for getting the same item from two different critters, this is not possible as the game marks the item found in that game. Thus if there's no more uniques for that base item, the game rolls and failed unique which is triple durability rare. If there are more uniques, then I think it's like Shade said, it'll drop the other one if the critter/container has the possibility of droping the other one in the first place, if not, it'll again drop a triple durability rare
 

moi

Diabloii.Net Member
Shade said:
My experience disagrees with you - when you generate a new Unique item from the multiple-unique item types, the one that has already spawned is omitted.

I could check more thoroughly, but my suspicion is that's how it is.
You are incorrect, sorry. :) Also, I might ask, what experience? This is not something that is easily seen in the game - there aren't many items with multiple unique versions, and all of the are either hard to find elites which I highly doubt you could ever get two to drop in one game, or rings and amulets, where there is know way to know whether it is a true rare or a failed unique.
 

Shade

Diabloii.Net Member
moi said:
You are incorrect, sorry. :) Also, I might ask, what experience? This is not something that is easily seen in the game - there aren't many items with multiple unique versions, and all of the are either hard to find elites which I highly doubt you could ever get two to drop in one game, or rings and amulets, where there is know way to know whether it is a true rare or a failed unique.
I did a quick test using the Horadric Cube (my favourite toy in mods), and concocted a recipe as follows:

1 Mana Potion (any) -> Unique Sacred Armour, ilvl = 99

First one was Templar's, second was Tyrael's, third was 3x dur. rare.

Granted, this could have been a chance occurence if your statement was correct (with an 8 in 81 chance, I believe), but I'm quite capable of doing similar with Unique jewelry (rings/amulets) to further test this - the odds of rolling each Unique ring exactly once - with no intervening rares - are negligible. In fact I'll go do that right now :)

edit: Fortunately I'm also capable of proving myself wrong, 'twould seem.

Ring 1: Dwarf Star
Ring 2: Manald Heal
Ring 3: rare
Ring 4: rare
Ring 5: Ravenfrost

...etc.

So you were right initially, it appears. I really should check these things more thoroughly...
 

moi

Diabloii.Net Member
Shade said:
I did a quick test using the Horadric Cube (my favourite toy in mods), and concocted a recipe as follows:

1 Mana Potion (any) -> Unique Sacred Armour, ilvl = 99

First one was Templar's, second was Tyrael's, third was 3x dur. rare.

Granted, this could have been a chance occurence if your statement was correct (with an 8 in 81 chance, I believe), but I'm quite capable of doing similar with Unique jewelry (rings/amulets) to further test this - the odds of rolling each Unique ring exactly once - with no intervening rares - are negligible. In fact I'll go do that right now :)

edit: Fortunately I'm also capable of proving myself wrong, 'twould seem.

Ring 1: Dwarf Star
Ring 2: Manald Heal
Ring 3: rare
Ring 4: rare
Ring 5: Ravenfrost

...etc.

So you were right initially, it appears. I really should check these things more thoroughly...
Yes, I preformed testing similar to yours (both cube and modified monster drops actually, but same thing) a while back. I tested it because I was interested in it myself - because, if things work as we had originially hypothesized, then it would be quite a good strategy to get a strong high MF character and do a full Hell clear; you'd probably have bagged at least one good ring or ammy by then end. (SOJ kekekekekeke). But oh well; not everything is meant to be. :(
 

Snake

Diabloii.Net Member
Shade said:
Ring 1: Dwarf Star
Ring 2: Manald Heal
Ring 3: rare
Ring 4: rare
Ring 5: Ravenfrost
How did you make these rings again? With a cube resipe?

p.s. The statement above might sound a little noobish :uhhuh:
 
Top