Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

You guys worry about the Religious Right. I'm worried about these people.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KillerAim, Sep 27, 2006.

1. KillerAim

KillerAim IncGamers Member

You guys worry about the Religious Right. I'm worried about these people.

NYC Mulls Ban on Trans Fats in Eateries

I see very little difference between religious fanatics and some of the groups on the Left. BOTH feel that their way of living is better for mankind. BOTH feel that other people do not have the moral fortitude to do the "right" thing for themselves so they BOTH want the Government to force their agendas on the rest of us.

At least we have constitutional limits against religious zealots forcing others to live by their rules. What kind of limits do we have on the crazies on the Left?

2. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

I don't think anybody would argue that the extremists on both sides of the scale are pretty much equally dangerous.

3. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

i think naf all

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

do it, be crazier than CA, I dare you NYC!

5. Road Ratt

Road Ratt IncGamers Member

There is no indication from this article that these "crazies" are either left or right.

6. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

My intuitive guess would be it's not the right...

7. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

What about the states that have banned gay marriage? What about the states that have overturned individual cities' rights to allow gay marriage? And the more restrictive abortion laws that have been passed by President Bush?

These limits are becoming less and less apparent to me. But I guess I'm the only one.

8. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

Authoritarianism is unique to neither the left, nor the right, and this form of government legislation is possible with any local government with an axe to grind, voter base to mobilise, or lobby group to please.

Anyway, as one of the resident (euro-wackjob) leftists on the forum, I feel compelled to comment. Personally, I am against this sort of swinging legislation against something which only impacts a single party directly (as opposed to smoking for instance, which allegedly harms both the smoker and the inhaler of second-hand smoke). In fact, the furthest I would conceive of going is mandating that some sort of advice label be placed on a menu indicating if it contained the fat, such as happens in many quarters with nuts due to allergies.

There has to be a limit on just how much nannying the government should be prepared to do, and for instances such as this I feel that its sole obligation is to make sure the information is avaliable and that people are informed. Any more is the province of the consumer.

9. Star Dust

Star Dust IncGamers Member

Nor is there any indication that this is anything more than a proposal for consideration. I'd worry if it gets passed.

Then again, it may not be so bad:

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I'm perfectly capable of worrying about both. However, the health Nazis aren't seeking a Constitutional Amendment...

Man, I freaking hate these people. IF I WANT TO GET FAT THAT'S MY BUSINESS, DICKWAD!!!

First time in a politics thread?

11. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

What's with these food nazis popping up? First the chicago foie gras ban, and now this...

12. thejdawg2

Is that a joke?

You must be new.

13. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

An excellent point when one considers the top job at the NYC Health Department is an appointed position and the mayor of NYC happens to have a capital R after his name. Even more hilarious is that the guy has had the job since 2002. Even more super-duper hilarious is that it's a non-partisan position.

It's totally the leftist fringe! Everybody panic. I'll just laugh at you, if that's ok.

14. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

That's the comment that actually compelled me to go read the linky in the OP. . .

EDIT: Damn. I just read the article. I'm honestly not sure if these wacko's are from the Left or the Right. I could see it coming from either group.
    The part that gets me isn't that people have the right to be fat, it is that
    businesses have the right to serve whatever the hell they want, as long as it is a legal substance. Transfats are not illiagal anywhere else, or in any other context (except now in NYC).
    That almost seems like a breech on First Amendment rights to me, freedom of "expression" I suppose would be the closest argument. But why the hell does the government care what people want to buy and what restaurants want to sell?
    Now businesses that use a lot of transfats could be looking at serious financial losses. What about corporate policies? McDonald's has a specific brand of oil they use for their foods. And I'm sure it's a corporate policy.

Are they more likely to make a corporate exception for NYC stores? Are they more likely to just close those stores? Or more likely to sue NYC for infringing on thier rights?

I would be all for legislation that made it a requirement to post, in clear site, statistics about transfats and warnings that they are used in the foods in that store plus the specific foods they're used in. The governements job is to protect it's citizens. But taking away they're ability to choose? Hardly protection.

*cue Russian National Anthem*

This is like burning down the house to roast the pig.
    It rucking fidiculous.

15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Um, voters?

16. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Bush passed an abortion law? Since when does the president pass laws?

17. thejdawg2

You know what I mean.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

He means by the Bush government, you pedant you.

I blame the voters. Even over you.

Sorry, there's no "freedom of business".

Because people keep saying "WAAA! Obesity epidemic! Fat kiddies! Won't someone please think of the children? WAAA!", and politicians smell votes.

19. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

What are you trying to do Mac ... blow the fatty lid off of this thread? :azn:

20. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

It's well known that leftist hippies are most likely to smoke fatties.