You bunch of *******'s.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
You bunch of *******'s.

[self righteous mode]That's right, your a bunch of stars, a complete bunch of stars. ;)

So why has the swearing in this place we call OTF been allowed to run riot recently? Every thread has at least 1 swear word in it seems. Call me a fool and slap me with a rusty spoon, but it's still against the rules I believe...

I have used language in the past the required the use of some ****'s but a lot of people just don't seem to care that they could get banned should the Mods take action. It's not just newcomers either, I see users with 3k+ posts swearing too. Just because you have a high post count doesn't make you immune to the rules.

That's right your a bunch of stars. ;)
Come on, protect my poor sensitive little ears...[/self righteous mode]

Brings me to a point actually, what's the general view and the forum limits on what qualifies as banable swearing? I don't want people to reel of swear-words to see what the filter pickes up, but whats socially acceptable these days?

I think anything other than sexual swear-words is ok to use in mixed gender/age/social environments.

Regards,
KnightFall

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
if the filter picks it up, then it gets filtered
if the filter doesn't pick it up, then it is acceptable language

that's always been my take on it, the only trouble you get in is bypassing the filter, so I just say what I'll say and let the filter take over

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes I guess that's a safe way to do it but I can't believe some of the words I see are not filtered out.

Like B*****d for example.

KnightFall

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
bastard has never been censored, it isn't often used or abused, doesn't really do any harm does it?
No, but it is often used as naughty word. I'd say you should trust your common sense on this one, but then again different people have different opinions on what's rude and what's not. Personally I don't find bastard that offensive, but in some languages it is :)

HoD

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Herald of Doom said:
No, but it is often used as naughty word. I'd say you should trust your common sense on this one, but then again different people have different opinions on what's rude and what's not. Personally I don't find bastard that offensive, but in some languages it is :)

HoD
a member asked me to change my sig way back when because it had "queer" in it, and Gaile deleted my entire profile before even though it contained words allowed by the filter

I'm ok with members or mods asking to stop usage, but I don't want it held against me, I'm willing to accomodate, just don't ban or threaten to ban me if I'm not breaking the rules, we are all reasonable people

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
It just seems odd to ban some swear-words and not ban them all. Things like b******* are concidered very rude to some people. I was brought up in a Christian household and swearing of any kind was not tollereated for example. Although now I swear like a trooper, but I dont here because it's the rules. I don't want to push the boundaries as it were.

KnightFall

Ankeli

Diabloii.Net Member
now i dont want anyone to take this as an act of rebellion or anything, but i think that these forums are maybe a bit TOO hypocritish(sp?).

If you raise a stick and threaten to bang someone into a thigh with it, you get shot in the back.

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
It's rather difficult, because bastard can obviously be used for its original meanings (a child outside a marriage, or an impure animal of some kind). Same goes for gay, lots of people use it as a swearing word, but there are plenty of occasions where we dont want to typ homosexual or same-sex every time :p And ofcourse, if I decide to change my curtains in my room, I'll be making it more sunny and gay ! :lol:

HoD

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Ankeli said:
now i dont want anyone to take this as an act of rebellion or anything, but i think that these forums are maybe a bit TOO hypocritish(sp?).

If you raise a stick and threaten to bang someone into a thigh with it, you get shot in the back.
I think I understand what your saying here...

If you break the rules you get banned, is that about it. ;) :lol:

KnightFall

Ankeli

Diabloii.Net Member
heh, guess thats about it. notice the actions the one with the stick does to get banned.

anyway, what about *** then? it could be thought of as a homo sexual or a mere cigarette... ^_^

Suicidal Zebra

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
It just seems odd to ban some swear-words and not ban them all. Things like b******* are concidered very rude to some people. I was brought up in a Christian household and swearing of any kind was not tollereated for example. Although now I swear like a trooper, but I dont here because it's the rules. I don't want to push the boundaries as it were.

KnightFall
If you are going to ban swear-words then you are going to have an extremely long list to deal with. I mean, how many swear-words do we Brits have over and above those from 'Queens English'. I would list a few, but I don't feel I need to and don't want to get banned. ;)

Personally, I quite like browsing the forums and not being assaulted by effing and blinding all over the place (as Bliz's official forums as well as other less well run forums) whilst still being able to use double-meaning words in their non-abusive context. That has an awful lot to do with the maturity of the OTFers, but also IMV has been helped by the ground-rules laid out in the early days of the forum.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Suicidal Zebra said:
That has an awful lot to do with the maturity of the OTFers, but also IMV has been helped by the ground-rules laid out in the early days of the forum.
Yeah I guess your right there, double meaning words when used in their non-swear context need to be useable.

And since when has any OTF user been mature?

KnightFall

Anakha1

Banned
Horrible, deplorable violence is okay... as long as no one says any naughty words!

*kills Knightfall gruesomly, but politely*

Anakha1

Banned
myleftfoot said:
oh the horror. Run for the hills people, someone said **** :uhhuh:
Next thing you know Janet Jackson's breast will be strutting around here like it owns the place!

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Like I said, i'm not some goodie goodie who doesn't agree with swearing at all. I swear far to much if anything.

The point I was trying to get across was that all who swear on here are toying with being banned. I won't swear here because the rules say not too and I won't throw away a place I enjoy being for something so stupid.

Anywho... *dies in extreme agony but in peacefull state of mind*

KnightFall