YOLO – A single pass P8 hardcore windy druid

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
The Lord of Terror has been vanquished once and for all, and YOLO has now reached Act V! The last area was as difficult as advertised. I ran into multiple Blunderbore boss packs, one with a PI and CI that just refused to die. I battled him for close to an hour before I finally wore him down due to his insane regeneration! Easily the most annoying monster to date:mad:

Chaos Sanctuary was taken slowly and steadily, with no real dangerous spots. De Seis and his pack was countered with Lawbringer, which kept them at bay while I pummeled them with Tornados. The Infecter pack was more difficult as the boss spawned with a PI mod. I ran around to break the pack up, then lured the boss into the narrow tunnel, pinned him in, then whittled him down with my amp stick and cold damage. Annoying, but nothing compared to that Blunderbore fellow.

DIABLO

The trick with Diablo is positioning- either you get yourself and your merc into a good spot or he fries you rather quickly, especially at P8. I was lucky and managed to get positioned fairly well on my first run at him. I was able to hammer him for a while and heal my merc when he used his Armageddon attack. My luck didn't last forever, however, and Diablo eventually got the better of my merc and I played a little cat and mouse for a couple of minutes before I managed to get positioned successfully again. Probably burned through 15 juvies but you have to play it safe with this battle, as his attacks can drop you pretty quickly, especially if you loose your Oak Sage. The drops were terrible- absolutely no green or gold. But the victory still counts, and now it's on to the final part of the game.

Looking ahead, there are quite a few nasty areas in Act V. Nihlathak, Pindle, Tomb Vipers, the Ancients, Blood Lord packs. But YOLO isn't backing down;) Sporting his Stealth Armor, Rhyme Shield, and very stylish Nat boots he walks into Act V P8 hardcore undeterred and woefully undergeared:confused:

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
YOLO has fought his way through the two icy plains and is now at the Crystallline Passage. The seige levels were nothing really dangerous but took FOREVER to knock down those stupid towers. I'm sad I still have another level of those to clear, provided I make it that far. I guess I was fortunate with some of my map rolls in that I didn't have to deal with those Blunderbore packs. Spear cats were quite annoying but I didn't see any extremely dangerous boss packs.

The side levels were different however. I cleared the first one which was full of those Dark Shaman and Succibi packs, a pretty annoying and dangerous combination. Especially the champion shaman packs. Those guys are much faster and dangerous than they were in Act I and there were quite a few times I really needed to think quick on my feet to keep from getting surrounded. Throw in all the curses the succubi throw at you and things were pretty slow and dangerous.

The second side level was the bad one. When I saw that Blood Lords had spawned I crossed my fingers and prayed for a decent roll if there was a boss pack. I was fortunate that I got to get a good look at the boss from the other side of a river and saw Extra Fast, Extra strong, might enchanted. Whelp:eek: Luckily he was no CI, which meant I could handle him if I could somehow tease the pack apart. I spent the better part of two hours slowly creeping up to the pack, pulling one away, then dealing with them one at a time with my Amp stick and cold damage. It took a good 20 minutes just to kill the boss once I got him one on one but he finally went down. There was only one Blood Lord pack, so one bullet dodged! These were the guys I had been worried about, and it easily could have been much more dangerous if that boss had been cursed. Still, there are much more dangerous areas waiting so no time to celebrate yet.

I also picked up a very nice upgrade for my merc:D
insight.png

Hopefully this will help clear some of those towers faster. The merc damage is now MUCH better, so this was a major find. I had been using a normal Partizan up until this point. I also found a Wizardspike. Not sure if it will prove useful, but it's nice to have handy in case some other items drop.

Next is Anya. Should be interesting...:cool:

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
YOLO has been pushed to the brink and has somehow managed to survive. Anya has been saved and Nihlathak has been defeated! There were more than a few times things looked pretty bad, a few NDE's, and obviously some dumb luck that saved me on more than a few occasions. But here we are, and now there are only a few more challenges still awaiting YOLO. What a wild and completely insane set of levels!

Anya and Frozenstein

This was a pretty difficult area. I got a double set of those Harpy enemies in conjuction with the skeletal mages. Boss packs were downright scary, as I had to time my pathetic dim vision charges to rush the packs, use the mask of horrors to break them apart, then try to deal with them as quickly as possible. There were a few screens where it seemed the entire screen was lit up pink with the Harpy magic and curses. Quite a few close calls, as there were just many I could barely move through certain places without getting hammered from enemies off screen. Harpy's are now officially YOLO's most hated enemy:mad:

The Frozenstein pack was cursed and rather nasty. Of course they were flanked by close to a dozen of those Harpy's who definitely made things difficult. Patience and some nimble dancing soon brought them down and Anya was saved. Which of course brings about one of the most dangerous areas of the game...

Pindle and Nihlathak

So first I cleared out the outside baddies, because you definitely don't need any extra distractions when taking on Pindleskin. After clearing I peeped into the room and almost got my head taken off. I didn't see much except the Fanatacism aura before beating a retreat. Pop went the bear. Then the merc. I ran through the red portal and tried to take stock of the situation.:eek:

Turns out that the pack was extra fast and fanatacized! Not good, even with Lawbringer to keep them pushed back. The push back wasn't enough to keep them away from me and they were literally one shotting my merc and bear! Ridiculous! This was literally a one mistake and it's over situation. I figured my best chance was to try to keep them pinned at the door way, as there was no way to keep my merc and bear alive when dealing with more than one. It took a quite a few tries but I finally managed to line things up and slowly take out the pack. I still had to flee and revive the merc on more than a few occasions (probably close to 15 times, good thing I kept the stash full of gold!). Finally the pack was disposed of- I breathed a sigh of relief. Ohhhhh that was a mistake.

First step into Nilly's halls and I'm met by a boss pack of those Night Lords. Run run run. TP. Obviously things were not going to be going my way. Reenter and luckily I've drawn most of them away from the door, including the boss. I deal with the first two- a difficult task in and of itself as they were pretty darn tough. Then I slowly teased the others away and finally managed to deal with the boss. No bad auras or curses but still a dangerous situation. I could have easily died if I had run into something else when fleeing.

The other baddies were those reanimating corpses, and I almost got one shotted on two occasions when a minion snuck up on me and charged me from behind. Oak Sage definitely saved me, along with all the points I had been investing into my life, which is now at 2600 when used with Oak Sage. Oh how I wish I had battle orders for Act V. Some of these monsters are quite nasty at P8.

The second floor featured a really annoying combination of those egg laying bugs and the quill rats. There were two boss packs that were cursed that were two shotting my bear and merc- a pretty dangerous situation considering how difficult it is so see those enemies in that level. Throw in the fact that you are swarmed by those egg layers and you can imagine how wild some of those areas were.

Now for the final level. Just prayed that I wouldn't see those Tomb Vipers- so of course I did. My goodness how scary those things are. I tried to use Dim Vision ASAP on them and then try to get up close to pummel them, but on more than a few occasions I ended up having to panic chug juvies when a gas cloud was released. Luckily I didn't see a boss pack of them- that might have been more than this character could handle! The other enemies were the poison spiders and those annoying PI harpies. Ugghh!:confused: That level alone took me almost two hours to clear as I needed to switch off to my Amp stick every time I needed to kill the harpies. Then of course there was Nihlathak himself.

I tried to lure out as many of the enemies as possible before taking him on, using my creeper to eat corpses. I tried to dispose of almost all of them, but Nihlathak has some serious range in Hell and often he would pop ones that I apparently had missed. Bear could only take a single shot, YOLO was better protected due to the Cyclone armor and better resists but even then I saw a good 1/3 of my life go down in an instant. Nihlathak was actually not that difficult once I was able to safely confront him and start to pummel him with my real attacks. Finally the man went down and YOLO let out a roar of victory.

YOLO also moved to level 89, probably his final level for this challenge. Now begins the march to the Arreat Summit where the day of reckoning is quickly approaching.

Hookipa

Diabloii.Net Member
Those are some very nice feats you are perfoming good sir.
Your strategic playing style is only outmatched by your perseverance and patience to complete the task.
Seriously, nicely done!

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
Those are some very nice feats you are perfoming good sir.
Your strategic playing style is only outmatched by your perseverance and patience to complete the task.
Seriously, nicely done!
Thanks, but I know of many who have done more with far less (see links in my first post for example). I'm glad there are those who are enjoying YOLO's journey.

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
The Ancients await...

YOLO has fought his way to the Arreat Summit and now faces possibly the biggest and most dangerous battle of the entire challenge. There's actually a bit of the Arreat Summit and Frozen Cellar to deal with due to the point I found the Waypoint, so that will need to be completed first. But the next playing session will be the Ancients, so now the tension and excitement really increase. Time to see if YOLO's training and preparation will pay off.

The journey up to the Arreat Summit was slow, if not uneventful. All of the usual enemies were out in force, including the Frenzytaurs, PI needle enemies, and the Succubi. Nothing too dangerous, but you can't let your guard down in this part of the game as it only takes a single shot from the boss pack reanimated corpses to end your journey. No real finds of which to speak either.

Preparing for the Ancients

I'll be making use of two teleportation amulets to try and break the Ancients apart when fighting them. I've seen this done before thanks to some videos on this forum, but I've never actually tried it myself. I've got 47 charges, which should be enough. But it's not unlimited, so getting that first Ancient pulled away and dealt with will be extremely important. I may be able to slowly wear down 2 at a time, but 3 is too much, even if I just run around with my hurricane. Sooner or later one of them will get to me and probably kill me in short order.

Keeping the merc alive will also be crucial. I lost my merc early in the fight when taking on the NM ancients, who turned out to be much tougher than I had anticipated. Obviously Hell is a degree more difficult than that, so I plan to play very cautiously to keep him alive through the entire fight if possible. Without the Insight aura I don't think I'll have enough to make it through this fight.

I'm definitely going to review my gear options, as actual resists are not as important as killing power and defense in this particular battle. I got a Lidless Wall earlier in Act V and that would be enough to both increase my power and hit the next 99 FCR breakpoint. The drop in resists and CBF may be worth sacrificing here. Quicker teleporting will be very helpful in the beginning stages of this fight. Any other advice is appreciated.

I plan to go toe to toe no matter how the mods roll. There will be no exiting this battle. It's me or them.

Should be fun:cool:

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
YOLO is dead!!!

But not in the way you might imagine... Oh no, this way was much more anticlimactic and ultimately painful:eek:

I was starting clear out the rest of the Path to the Arreat Summit and got cursed by a pack of quill rats. No problem, just fall back I thought... Or so I thought. My Oak Sage must have gotten popped and I didn't see a Berserker Lancer come out from behind a wall and pop my poor YOLO. Dead in one attack!

I really wanted to test YOLO against the ancients, but it looks like my luck had run out. Honestly, i think I probably jinxed myself by posting beforehand.:confused:

Still, this was an overall enjoyable run. I did net a Sur from it, which was safely in the stash when YOLO went down so no problems there. Really wanted to finish this one off and probably got a bit careless when I went down- which is usually how these things go.

Again, thanks to all who followed YOLO on his journey. It's over, but he made it very far and was able to kill Nihlathak on P8 Hell, along with every thing before him. Definitely proud of this guy, though I would have loved to take on those ancients!!!

A break from Diablo is in order. Will still be lurking though:cool:

Dezrok

Diabloii.Net Member
Bugger!
Great journey and a shame you didn't get to test yourself and YOLO against the Ancients.
Enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to more in the future.

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh no! Thanks for a good tale in any case and I like the wide array of charged items you used. Especially grim ward against stair trap mobs. Those lancers and the many-armed raiders are really nasty, and easy to underestimate since their kin earlier in the game is so much weaker.

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, even with my Oak sage gone I still had 1200 hp so getting one shotted was a big surprise. Mostly bad luck, but considering my many close calls throughout it was bound to come sooner or later.

Hookipa

Diabloii.Net Member
What a shame. You still made it quite far.
Only one option if you really want to experience the fight with hell ancients, retry ;-).

Thanks for the nice read!

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh no! Sorry about the deeds, that's a shame. Huge congrats on making it as far as you did though, that's a great accomplishment on its own. I have to echo Hookipa's sentiments, looks like you've got a bone to pick with those 3 guys now. ;)

SunsetVista

Diabloii.Net Member
One of the best Halloween decorations I saw this year in someone's yard was a tombstone with YOLO on it. I thought it was hilarious, but I guess it turned out to be a bad omen. =(

Sorry about the deeds, so close to the end. A very impressive feat. Those berserker lancers really do hit hard, and now I will remember that for my future characters.

Great write-up along the way, too! I loved the stair trap stories in the kurast temples! And /players 8 hell Nihlathak with vipers! That is amazing.

Last edited:

DaveW

Diabloii.Net Member
So sorry to hear about YOLO . But thats an incredible journey you described. Hell P8 is scary, even for a heavily twinked char. I'm thankful you wrote it out for us. Cheers.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry to hear about the deeds :(. But you did a wonderful job !!! It was a pleasure reading YOLO's stories.