YOLO – A single pass P8 hardcore windy druid

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
you forgot to Alt
:(
No, I think what happened is that I had used the cube glitch to keep the treasures flashed, but it went away the second I clicked back into the window to take the photo. I just didn't realize it until after I had posted this message. Should have taken a look at the photo

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Congrats on the progress :). You are doing very well it seems.

I would skip on the mummy spawning thingies in Act 2 if it takes so long to kill them. IIRC you don't get additional xp nor drops for the mummies (or at least past a certain point), so it's just basically taking a very long time for nothing.

Good luck on the rest of the journey.

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
Congrats on the progress :). You are doing very well it seems.

I would skip on the mummy spawning thingies in Act 2 if it takes so long to kill them. IIRC you don't get additional xp nor drops for the mummies (or at least past a certain point), so it's just basically taking a very long time for nothing.
True but I'm going for full clears, including traps, doors, etc. They are a pain, but I can deal with them if I'm patient.

YOLO has downed Fangskin and his crew and is now ready to go underneath the Palace for what will certainly be a dangerous journey. Packs of skelearchers are certain to make things dangerous. I'll probably make use of Attract to help wear down packs that are placed behind doors.

YOLO has moved to Level 85. No drops or NDE to report. Still hoping to get a Dol or above so I can make Lawbringer before the Sanctuary, but am ready to make do without it.:cool:

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
YOLO has cleared the palace cellar and is about ready to start this long process of working through the Arcane Sanctuary. Fanatacized pack of Blunderbore with a cursed/PI boss was pretty wicked- my bear was getting two shotted, even when using Weaken! Took a while to tease the boss away from the pack far enough to try and deal with him.

Obviously the ghost packs will give me a fair amount of trouble, as I'll need to wear them down with cold damage and my amp stick. I believe I can break the packs up with my mask of horrors and pick them off one at a time, but that will not be easy. The fire vampires will also be annoying, especially if they have a conviction curse. They usually have lots of life anyway, especially at P8. The good thing is that I get to do each path one at a time.

No NDE or drops of which to speak.

Last edited:

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
The Arcane Sanctuary has been cleared. What a long mess of a level that was.:confused:

Not having the Lawbringer certainly slowed things down, as I encountered quite a few of the ghost boss packs, usually with a PI/CI boss. Most were handled safely, if slowly, but there was a cursed pack that I encountered right after starting up and didn't have much space to break the pack apart. I ended up having to really gut that one out by the waypoint, and ended up burning more juvies on my merc than I would have liked. Other than that none of the other enemies posed any problems.

No NDE of which to speak or drops of any consequence. Now to start the long process of clearing out the canyon and the tombs.

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
YOLO is still grinding through the tombs after clearing out the Canyon of Magi. 4 Tombs have been cleared, with three to go. I still have yet to clear the other large tomb, so there is still quite a lot of work ahead before this act is clear. Doing these things on P8 is pretty time consuming, as I generally can only clear 1 tomb at a time given my limited play time. Most of you know how dense these levels are and the amount of enemies that can be placed in these rooms, often with 2-3 boss packs per room. Here are some of the nastier situations I've encountered so far.

Stair trapped with three boss packs at the entrance. 2 pack of Horadrim ancients, one fanatacism, one conviction and a beetle pack on top of that. Pretty nasty, as I couldn't pop back up the stairs as I had run through the canyon to get to the tomb and had a giant horde of monsters on my heels. I've made a point of using a grim ward amulet I gambled when going down stairs and that probably saved me here. I was able to set up a ward to give myself some space at the entrance and managed to remove the beetles. After that the other packs were eventually disposed of. This could have been a game over had I not had grim ward, as a conviction curse with beetles is usually a sure way to die rather quickly.

Near another entrance I got Dual ghost packs with a horadrim reviving the minions. One of the bosses was also CI, making it difficult to wear him down. Given the number of enemies I used the mask of horrors to keep the others at bay until I could beat the two bosses, who I just could not separate from each other. Took almost 30 just to beat those two ghosts safely given the tight quarters I was in at the time. Zombie generators also are proving to be quite annoying, and I'm going to be very happy when I'm done clearing these tombs.

I found a 3 socket +3 tornado pelt, so I could make Delirium if I get a Ist rune to drop. I don't plan on using it for most areas, but it could prove useful for certain boss packs and perhaps the ancients. Getting that IST is obviously not a given though.

YOLO is now at 85. No other NDE or drops to report.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Good progress !!! Seems like you had some pretty tough situations thrown at you, so kudos to you for getting out alive.

Good luck on the rest of the journey :).

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
Two more tombs complete, including one of the long ones. It was full of ghost mobs, some bosses stone skin and CI, meaning I had to literally wittle them with the fire damage from Insight and Lower Resist curses:confused: Really should have invested in a helmet and jewels that could add more lightning or fire damage.

Those worries could be over though now that I finally got a Ko and can make Lawbringer. There are still a few places in the game featuring those ghost packs, so this will definitely help out a lot. I think I'll be able to cruise through undead packs now.

YOLO is now level 86 and Duriel awaits. Bring the big boy on!

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
You're making me wonder if swapping to an Act V merc with Lawbringer might be the better plan for large bits of Act 2.

Does open wounds work on Ghosts? I don't recall.

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
You're making me wonder if swapping to an Act V merc with Lawbringer might be the better plan for large bits of Act 2.

Does open wounds work on Ghosts? I don't recall.
I know it won't work if the immunity is not broken. I haven't noticed it working against the ghosts, but I could be wrong.

Rather than switch mercs, it's probably better just to equip it on your character. There is a drop off in fcr and damage but it's offset by the increased damage to undead.

EDIT: But now I remember you are playing naked. In that case, it could be worth thinking about.

Last edited:

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
Duriel is dead and Act II is now clear.

Oh my goodness what a difference Lawbringer makes. It might just be my favorite Runeword now (well only for now). The final level was full of the ghosts, horadrim ancients, and zombies, which would have been an extremely difficult combination for my character without Lawbringer. Of course breaking the ghosts immunity was the main benefit, but I didn't realize that there was also a built in slain monsters rest in peace! All of a sudden these rooms full of undead that took hours to tease out and defeat could now be taken head on, guns blazin'. And oh how the blazing went down. Rooms stuffed with badies cleared in seconds, on P8! A windy druid and Lawbringer is a ruthlessly good combination against undead- I'd wager there isn't any undead that now stands any kind of chance against my character. Even Pindle and his crew.

Duriel

Of course, Lawbringer doesn't help me against the big fellow waiting downstairs, so I switched back over to Spirit and went down to dance with the boss. Nothing really that eventful. Duriel is strong, but his lack of ranged attacks or spread attacks makes him pretty easy for this build. He spent time alternating his attacks against my bear and merc, which I revived or healed as necessary as I kept him weakened and spammed tornados. Took about 5 minutes, as he managed to kill my merc once when my Oak Sage wandered too close to the action, but all in all a pretty subdued ending to what had been a fairly dangerous Act up until I finally got Lawbringer.

The drops were pretty pathetic- no greens or golds, but YOLO is now ready to head into Act III and feeling good about his chances. The dolls should be fairly easily countered with Lawbringer- the push back will keep them away from me. I have a Dim Vision ring that I plan on using against any Gloam packs, so I think I've got a pretty good shot with this act. Obviously the Council and Mephisto will be pretty tough battles. But that's was this is all about.;)

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
YOLO has fought his way through the jungle and through most of LK. No notable finds, but there were more than a few sticky situations that needed to be taken fairly slowly to be safe.

The Spider Cavern and Arachnid Lair were both fairly difficult and dangerous, with multiple boss packs making things pretty difficult at times. I nearly got stair trapped by two boss packs of spiders when they pushed me back to the entrance. Had I exited the steps I might have been in trouble, but I managed to maneuver a bit into some open space, open a TP, and reload. A couple of PI spiders were really annoying and tough to bring down, but in the end I managed to finish them all.

The Swampy Pit would have been pretty dangerous without Lawbringer, which probably saved me more than once from those exploding dolls. I had just stepped into the first level and before I knew it an extra fast pack of those things had swarmed me and started popping. I got cursed but luckily the pushback kept those things far enough away to keep from getting one shotted.

Another tough dude was the conviction gloam boss in the Swampy Pit. I saw my 4k life bear wander into a room and disappear in the blink of an eye:eek:- so I knew that I was probably dealing with something very dangerous. The getting into the room was tricky, but I managed to get a cloak of shadows off and bring only the boss to me. From their Lawbringer and some really touch and go tornado action brought him down.

YOLO is now at 87. No other NDE or drops of which to speak.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
Nice going. Lawbringer is indeed under rated. It is awesome on a TS/DTail Assassin too.

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh does YOLO have some stories to tell.

Going into Kurast, I felt pretty good because Lawbringer effectively nullified one of the biggest threats Act III poses with the dolls. And as expected, the Sewers were handled fairly easily. However...

The temples were another story altogether. I had forgotten how scary these temples are in terms of getting stair trapped- there is a very real chance you will get trapped on any and every one of these levels. This is easily my characters biggest weakeness, as I need space to maneuver and split packs up. These temples don't really allow for that and resulted in trouble.

The temple holding the book is especially dangerous due to the super unique pack lurking there. I had planned to cast Weaken and make a run for one of the side rooms if I got trapped. Upon entering I was immediately assaulted by that boss mob plus a handful of others normal rogue demons (easily 10+ enemies). Also remember how fast that mob is- no time to check the boss to see the mods but I was quickly cursed and in deep trouble. I got a Weaken off and ran into the room to the right as it was my only open chance to escape. So I blindly run (a big no no but there was no time for anything else) into the room and...

Got met by a boss pack of vampires which were on me in an instant:eek:, this time with no bear or merc as they were already swarmed by the rogue pack. Instincts and reflexes kick in. I get a Bear off to draw the fire, and a Weaken. I get a TP off and get back to town with my merc dead and a little more than 400 in life. I had chugged a few juvies just to make it that far. Usually when I am able to TP I draw enemies away from the entrance and it works out well, but given the small space the enemies were still parked by the stairs when I reentered. I popped in and ran into the left room this time and was met only normal vamps. I TP'd to get my merc over there, then reentered and began to fight like crazy, using my bear to seal the room and deal with all the vampires. From there I slowly beat down the mob of enemies trying to get through the doorway. The superunique was tough, as she was CI and stone skin along with curses. Took a while but that was my first true NDE in this challenge. I thought I was a goner for a few seconds but managed to just get through it.

Another NDE came in Upper Kurast. I encountered a champion pack of those healing zakurum priests IN ADDITION to a unique zakurum priest who also had a conviction aura:confused:. I simply could not find a way to split these guys apart, which made killing them next to impossible as they would simply heal each other whenever their life got low. At P8 this becomes a HUGE problem.

I tried to tease these guys away from one another but almost bit the dust when the conviction boss hammered with my a blizzard and lightning. My HP went from full to almost 0 in the blink of an eye. I juvied immediately, but that was extremely close and scary. Over time I finally managed to kill the conviction boss, which then let me play more aggressively to finish off the others. Wow, what a level!

One of the final temples also had a room full of those demon archers- two boss pack and a beetle champion pack that were difficult as I didn't have much room to fall back. Curses and fanaticism were also in play- but YOLO would not be denied.

I'm pretty relieved that there aren't too many more areas to worry about stair traps- I think Nihlathak's level is the last one where it happens alot, and also the Throne of Destruction.

Nothing else to report other than I found a pair of Natalaya's boots which really don't do much for me but add some defense. On to the council!:D

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Great that you survived!

Best of luck for the remaining Acts. Hopefully Travi and Dura will be a cake after this :D

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
Mephisto and the Council have been defeated and YOLO has moved on to Act IV. No matter what happens from here on out, I'm going to consider this character a success. He's overcome quite a few challenges with extremely limited gear, and has yet to meet a foe he couldn't bring down. For the most part, he is still using the same underwhelming gear that he started Hell with, with the exception of the Nat boots and Lawbringer. Act IV promises to be long and difficult, but it'll be fun to see how far YOLO can make it.

The Council and Durance

These guys were dangerous, especially the second set of them on Mephisto's floor. Two of the council members had a conviction aura and another had a might aura. A vampire pack also had a fanatacism aura which made things pretty dicey for a while. I probably lost my merc more dealing with the conviction aura lightning enchanted boss (probably Blem sparkfist) than Mephisto himself.

The Durance was really long and unfortunately for me full of the blunderbore enemies. At P8 they have so much life I have to slowly whittle them down one at a time, which made clearing it take quite a while. The dolls and other enemies were undead so no trouble for my Lawbringer. Just a really big, long, annoying grind of a level. Luckily there were no real danger spots.

Mephisto

Given how dangerous parts of Act III were, I was glad to have a relatively short and uneventful battle with Mephisto. I just kept him weakened, revived the bear and healed the merc as necessary. I probably only used one or two juvies the whole battle. Much easier than Andariel and probably even Duriel. The drop was equally disappointing BUT I did score a Gul rune from a treasure chest behind Mephisto. Perhaps Hellforge will be kind to me and give me something to work with.

Looking ahead to Act IV I can see several challenging areas. The Gloams are always tough, but the spawning enemies will also prove difficult as they are cold immune I believe. Beating the areas up to the first way point will be pretty tough, so I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it all in one sitting- will have to see how that goes. I'm also looking forward to sitting and fightning Izual for 30 min:p

YOLO has moved up to level eighty-eight. Now the fun begins!

Last edited:

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
Congrats on getting through the temples, easily one of the most dangerous parts of the game.

good luck with your spawns in Act IV!

japanzaman

Diabloii.Net Member
YOLO has grinded his way through the plains of Hell, destroyed the Soulstone, and now sits at the River of Flame waiting to do battle with the Fiery man himself. Hellforge was a Lum- but I guess there really wasn't much any of those runes were going to do for me anyway. No NDE experiences, but these enemies have massive amounts of life at P8 and it was rather slow and tedious progress to keep the enemy numbers under control. Izual actually went down pretty quickly in comparison.

Now comes one of the nastier parts of the game- this next part will feature tons of monsters, and all the dangerous super unique packs. De Seis should be countered with Lawbringer, but that venom lord pack will be tough as they have lots of life and hit hard and fast. Probably need to use the monster flee to stay safe with that group.

Diablo on Hell at P8 needs no introduction, and the strategy will be the same as before. Try to get close and hit as much as possible before retreating and reloading. False moves against this guy can be a game over, so this will be a tense couple of minutes if I can't get positioned correctly.

Glad I made it this far! This is where the fun is at.:D