Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Yet another thread, and question, from the un-enlightened one... d

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Helpmeplease, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Helpmeplease

Helpmeplease IncGamers Member

Yet another thread, and question, from the un-enlightened one...

Hello all. I hope you find at least some energy to answer my ramblings, as I really do wish to find what I am searching for. And please, before you reply, keep in mind I'm stupid, and don't know any Paladin abbreviations, so if its not too much trouble, please spell the entire word out.

I've been playing Diablo II for a while, and I can't say I'm very good or wise in the way it works. However, I do get bored rather easily. I am currently looking for a class and build that I haven't played much (which led me to the Paladin class, its the only one I haven't played extensivly), and that will keep me challenged and interested.

I am really looking for a build that is fun to play in the beginning levels (1-50) and in the higher levels when you begin to have things maxed out. I find that all the builds I've played aren't very fun in the beginning, especially in Act I.

Please remember that I don't necessarily want to play a class that kills things well/fast/easily. Quite the opposite in fact. I really want something that is fun and challenging.

And one last thing, I play Single Player and I don't mule, so if that influences your decision, there you go!

I thank you very much for any responses that answer my question, and have a good day/night.

~One With A Silly Name

2. Helpmeplease

Nobody? I really would like an answer...please answer!

3. hiimafilo

hiimafilo IncGamers Member

Isn't that boring :( -- i find that some times when i play i'm completely bored of everything but for some reason i keep playing i'd say barbarian the the way to go --

4. Helpmeplease

Well, I already have played too much of the barb. Please tell me if there are any challenging/fun Paladin builds! And please read my original post for guidelines! Thanks.

5. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

I find both rangers and tesladins fun and challenging. The items you need are pretty common so you shouldnt have too many problems with equipment.

6. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

well.... the problem is that the "fun" and "challenging" builds are not only a bit harder to make work... but also as a result cost some expensvie gear... runewords etc..

also .. there is nothing more lame then tackling your way to hell then not being able to do crap....

Thus, I recomend that IF you dont have the UBER gear to make "challengin" noncookie cutter builds work... that you play a HAMMER PALA... they are VERY overpowered... and you dont need good gear for them to be effective in hell...

If you do have some expensive gear.. try doing what i do.. and make weird builds that use rare equipment that no one else thinks is good. ;) right now im on my 2nd attempt of using dragonscale shield "work well " for a pala... this one is a vengeance pala.. and i have some good runewords that really make him work... hes VERY equipement dependent... but EXTREMELY FUN and CHALLENGING...

if you dont have the expensive gear to make non cookie cutter chars work... then im afraid it wouldn't be any fun for you to play at all... part of the fun is being able to own hell once he gets high enough (and if your char works out right... owning PVP... but thats a whole other level of play.. where every item needs to be on point and godly as hell)

anyways.. i recemond a hammer palla... unless of course you got good gear.. then you can try something a bit less traditional

im not sure thats what you wanted to hear.. but i think you might find that I am right.... sorry.. i just tell it the way it is. :(

so far the most fun class for me to play is my WW assasin.. but since shes not "cookie cutter" she requires godly gear.

thnx
    stef

7. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Actually a ww assasin is a cookie cutter build now. Its pretty common...

8. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

A cookie-cutter build never starts out boring. I had a great time with my hammerdin, especially early on in 1.10 when the masses had yet to discover teh are da 1337. Hammerdins are easy to play and get started on but like any build, hard to master. (yes most of the thousands of idiots running around with hammers spinning around their head don't know that much about maximizing their builds potential)

Just because a build is overused doesn't mean it can't be fun for you, especially since you haven't made one yet.

9. Helpmeplease

Well...maybe. I thank you for all your responses, but the whole point of not having 'godly' or even good gear, is that it is challenging. I really want a build that doesn't depend on gear, that DOESN'T kill easily (I believe all the fun in finding new strategies for your build to work when it doesn't kill easily). So if you know any paly builds like that, please tell me.

Thanks again for your responses.

10. goldenfrog

goldenfrog IncGamers Member

Try a Hunter Druid, all summoning with a bow. Those druids are a blast at low lvls...I like to watch my dogs chew on things:p I havent tried a Hunter in 1.10 Hell yet. Or try a Shockbear, Heavy summoning with a couple points in shockwave to stun stuff while your Grizzly eats them. I like a Combo with a bow on switch.

11. Helpmeplease

Thats pretty cool. A hunter huh? I might try that, but first I want to see the other paladin answers.

12. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Any non-zon character with a bow can be fun. I made one for every class. And if it has to be a pally, I'm sure that anyone who has ever played a ranger will say that they enjoyed it. The build does however depend on items if you want to be successful.

If you really want to satisfy this, just look at the skill trees of the classes and pick out what you think is the crappiest skill and base a build around that. If you don't want to be item dependent, don't use any. An punching elemental zealot is still too strong for you? How about a naked elemental zealot? Its a viable build, heavily dependent on charms, but hey, if you do'nt have any good charms, the build would be even harder, which is what you wanted.

I really don't think you need others input into this.

The game is as hard as YOU want it to be. The game is also as fun as YOU want it to be. Just use your imagination.

13. Amiral

Amiral IncGamers Member

personally i think Clerics can be fun and good at lowlvls.. as long as there are undeads at least (read Mad0nions guide)

14. KruxDeValor

KruxDeValor IncGamers Member

in classic d2 i made a pally which was conversion+thorns, a zookeeper. i really enjoyed playing with him.

15. Helpmeplease

The problem with playing a Pally which uses skills that have a 'Required Level' or 24-30, is that in the early game, they are just, level up, level up, level up. And that's boring. And because its boring, I hardly ever get them to level 30. I'm sure that they would be fun once you get the skills, but before you get there...

I don't know what I really want. I'll have to think for a bit more...