Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Yet another Strafezon Thread (HC)

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Van Hammersly, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Van Hammersly

Van Hammersly IncGamers Member

Yet another Strafezon Thread (HC)

Hi zon forum goers! My thread has more to do with this being a hardcore ladder build. Most of the recommendations I've read for WWS strafers are for softcore so I was wondering, do the softcore all-dex base vit zons die alot, and if not, what do you die to most often. If you rarely ever die, what is your HP?

I've managed to get my zon to lvl 80 in act 5 hell, here's her equipment:

vamp gaze 8/7/20% dr (ort'd temporarily)
    smoke wyrmhide 724 def
    upped WWS 2x shael 165%
    cat's eye
    nosferatu's coil
    ravenfrost
    LL ring with lite/psn res
    2x passive gc's (have another but need res for now)
    LoH
    demon limb on switch

Might merc with Reapers, Guilliame's, Griz Armor (until i sacrifice an um for him )
    With enchant+might she does around 900 dmg and has 750 or so life with pretty near max resists. Once I get anya they will be maxed/stacked.
    Max strafe, pierce, penetrate. lvl 15 valk (will probably get this to 17)
    7 or so in evade
    5 in dodge

Max res is very impt to me, hence the smoke runeword..I definately want a better armor though.

I made this zon as a fun build to play and not have to worry too much about dying. Getting to act 5 was a little hairy in some places, had a few near
    heart-attacks. I eventually plan on hell baal'ing with her solo or in a small party but I'm beginning to wonder if that's possible with my current dmg output. Does anyone have suggestions for my zon's gear? Also, should i continue pumping vit or dex? I'm thinking about putting 2.5 in each from now on..suggestions? Most importantly, what can I do to keep her alive? :)

2. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i think you have 90 ias, 80 is the last strafe bp for a -10 speed bow so you have room for change .. however your gear looks very nice to me.

liessa wyrmbane plays zons on hc, so you might want to try contacting her. i believe hc zons like to aim for ~80-100 vita, then pump dex.

if you can afford it, try lionheart or duress as an armor choice, both add some nice damage and decent res.

looks pretty good though, jw if your having any specific problems in hell, if so what are they?

gl. :)

3. Van Hammersly

I thought 86 ias was the breakpoint for a 9/2 strafe with witchwild..correct me if i'm wrong.

So i went and made a Lionheart..only 478 def though..will this be a problem? My res in hell is looking alot better after I saved anya. Just need to mule a few res scs and they'll all be maxed. I also Um'ed the gaze.

Hell has been fine sans a couple close calls while running into an area before my mercs catch up with me. I've been lucky..there were no dolls in the durance, and no gloams in the frozen river.

Now I have a merc question. Stick with Reapers or make an Obedience? I have a 5 socket eth cryptic that would be perfect for one. But will the fire dmg from both of us (enchant) +the -25% enemy fire res be enough to make it work better than decrepify against PI's? Also, lame question, would wearing a sigons shield on switch add to my enchant cast?

Thanks for the reply.

edit: I've seen people recommending the Andy Helm.. i have one of these..is it more viable than a gaze for my hc build? Without the gaze i'll have no DR

4. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

sorry my bad .. i was thinking wws was a -10 speed bow, its 0 speed (slower)

so yes, 9/2 strafe is at 86 ias and 8/2 is at 105

for 9/2: wws shael shael (40 ias) + loh (20 ias) + cats eye (20 ias) + nos's (10 ias) for a total of 90 hitting the bp

now to hit 8/2, all you have to do is ias jewel your gaze and i would definately recommend it

about your merc, the obedience -25 fire res will only work for his fire damage, not yours. i would stick with reapers. about the sig shield, im pretty sure it wont help your enchant charges at all.

as for the andys, stick with vamp as you have no mana leechl that i can see

hope things work out andgl :D

5. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Yes you have been lucky:) My HC witchy had similar gear except fora few things, a razortail instead of Nos, steelskull instead of gaze. She was wearing smoke when she had the good fortune to have a Tal's armor in the tunnels. MF aside, this is a great res/def armor. It also allowed me a socket which I IAS'd. This freed up what I could put in the bow and I went with a nef/ias instead of shael/shael.

In A5 she seemed to be a gloam magnet, even with max (barely) LR, those things would drop her 922 life rapidly. It was nerve wracking playing her so decided to use Tgods for the safety. I needed a strength boost the wear it. Lionheart was considerd but I would lose a strafe BP if I used it. The good old Durry Shell was the answer. This and the Tgods gave her 1100+ life and not quite maxed LR. The lack LR of didn't matter, the absorb more than made up for it. Another bonus from my gear change was I could equip a Demon Limb on switch, a big help since her AR wasn't so "hot" ;)

6. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

I don't think it will make a big difference in the CtH - go to A5 and switch out the 724 Smoke and the LH, and see what the percents are.

I hate you...:p

AS mentioned, the -enemy FR wont help you. Still, the CB, FHR, +def, ED on Obedience is very nice. I would use it against bosses if I had it, but would stick with my Reaper's everywhere else as the decrepify means too much to my total damage output
    (upped 166% WWS).
    I think it is mainly for the 20% IAS, LL, and +2 skills. If you already have the speed, the dual leech, DR, and MDR make gaze a better fit for you, esp. in HC. Also, if you have FA back-up, which being HC I am going to guess you do, Gaze adds a full 1 sec to freeze duration.

Good luck,
    DudSpud

7. Van Hammersly

Well I tried my first solo baal last night. Survived everything they threw at me (dolls + gloams) wearing the gear I posted, aside from switching the rare ring for a Carrion Wind. Only problem is I couldn't kill baal for the life of me. He kept draining all my mana until I had no pots left. I got impatient so I just left the game. He doesn't seem to drop well after you tp and come back to kill him anyway. I heard somewhere it resets the monsters TC to that of Bishibosh.

I have yet to put a pt in frozen arrow but have been thinking about it. How long roughly does it freeze things in Hell? This is my first bowazon so I'm a bit clueless about that skill. Would sticking with the lvl 20 MA that is built in to the WWS deal more dmg against PI's?

I do have a tgods I could use, but right now I haven't been having problems against gloams. Maybe its luck. Maybe its max LR and a lvl 9 avoid. Can anyone else comment on gloams? Is tgods a must? I really like the ias on nos coil..the -light radius is really annoying though..

8. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Well, my gear was/is similar to yours but not the same. Between the Gaze and Nos Coil you have 18LL. All I had was the 5LL from the Steelskull. I read somewhere ;) that this was enough leech to survive in Hell as a bowzon. I bet you are hitting other "leech-able" monsters when you strafe the gloams in the WSK. Ack! Why didn't I think of that!? I'd say stay with what you have.

For Baal,strafe while you can,then use regular attack (20MA). The character screen doesn't show it's real damage or more importantly, chance to hit, which still isn't that much with this guy.

My strat has been keep the merc(reapers) alive and put the Valk in between Baal and me at all times. Decoy is useless now. It's a little late for FA, besides Baal will only be chilled. After killing the minions, I suggest filling your entire inventory with cold damage charms, each one will add a 1/2sec of chill duration to your attack. You do have one or two poison charms already,right?

9. Van Hammersly

Actually, between the 7%LL Gaze, 6% Nos Coil, and 7% Carrion Wind I have 20%. I think thats enough to leech enough off the gloams to stay alive even with the penatlies. But maybe you're right and I'm leeching off other monsters, I'll try another baal tonight and let you know.

Don't really have much in terms of elemental dmg charms in my inv other than a 7-11 cold dmg small charm with 13 life and a sharp large charm that has 25 psn dmg. Were you recommending 100 psn scs?

10. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

The freeze duration of FA is 2 sec, Gaze is 4 sec, and charms add 1 sec freeze per affix in normal. This is cut by 1/2 in NM and 3/4 in Hell, and I do not know if this is rounded down. FA is great for mobs, not so great for bosses because they don't freeze, and it costs lots of points and mana to get it to the point where it is doing great amounts of damage. As a WWS strafer, you are built for physical damage, and you have a mana-, arrow-, and skill point-free means of dealing damage - MA. Though slow, I think this is the way to go if you are getting mana burned all the time.

As for LL - yup, 5% is all you need in A5 HC Hell under any circumstances. Says so in the book.:eek: As for A5 gloams, they have 90% PhysRes. You'll get the swirl, but not much else.

DudSpud

11. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

As long as Baal is poisoned, he won't heal. Fortunately poison doesn't suffer the time penalty that cold has in NM/Hell. Duration is the name of the game here. With the Gaze and cold charm you have 1 or 1.25 sec chill. With three cheesey cold sc's, you get 2sec. Your PD charm gives you xxduration, another one more can't hurt. I assumed you have at least eight squares open in your inventory, why not use them? Sharps, stack extra res, (I'm uncertain about what decrep does to res) or put that passive charm in there! :)

12. eurymone

eurymone IncGamers Member

I've a lvl ** strafe/frozen arrow mavinazon on hc, and it's one of the fastest killers, most durable and best chars I've ever had. Soloed her all through hell, doing cows often, ancient tunnels, pits, WSK. Her only weakness is hell Baal - just takes too long to kill.
    Skills are: max strafe, max FA+synergy, 18 valk, rest into passives
    I believe IAS is the key issue with strafe - I've shael in a bow, 15 IAS jewel in a diadem, 20 on highlords, and with this setup, I can say there is NO strafelock.
    Love her, and IMO mavina set solves the resistance problem and gives so much +skills and cold dmg, I wouldn't change it for anything.

:D just my 2 cents, if you ever want to try such a build

13. Van Hammersly

Baal is still taking forever to kill.. Would swapping LoH out for some 10% crushing blow ias gloves help at all? I hear there is a penalty on ranged Crushing blow..

14. Valheru

Valheru IncGamers Member

i think duress is very good armor for stafeazon. It has 15% crushing blow and 35% open wounds, apart from nice other stats.

15. Van Hammersly

Thanks for the tip..made myself a duress scarab husk 1429 defense :) Baal is actually dying a lot quicker..still not as quick as i like but at least it doesn't take 5+ minutes anymore. Just an update: my zon is currently lvl ** with max res and 901 life. Still alive and kickin'. Oh finally got my first ever annihilus charm on her too.

I've been thinking about hitting the 8/2 breakpoint by ias jewel'ing a gaze. Wish I could put it in the one i'm wearing but I already um'ed it.

Have 4 skill pts unused with an 8/10/8 d/a/e. Any suggestions on where to put these? Already maxed pene, pierce, valk is at lvl 17 with +skills. Thanks again to whoever wrote the guide and to all you helpful forum ppl.

16. Valheru

Valheru IncGamers Member

well i don't know your + skills but i aim for avoid 60% and the other 2 50% with +skills.

I also use multishot (lvl 10), cause it is better in many situations.

What amu you use? Personnaly i find 2% chance on amplify a bit low and therefore i use atmas (which has terrible other stats). However 2% is just too low to count on.

17. Van Hammersly

Multishot..that I didn't think of, kinda late for it now though. Maybe if I had a bunch of +skills, but I don't have any on my gear and it's too late to dump 8 pts into it.

My D/A/E is 44/60/44 right now with 2 spare skill pts @ lvl 89. Might get D/E up to 50 like you suggested but might save the pts for valk too. Still not sure. Probably dodge/evade though.

I use Cat's Eye for the IAS and DEX. The 2% from WWS casts amp often enough. It's not like I'm counting on it to cast, plus my merc has Reapers Toll which casts a lot more often.