Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Yet another Newb Question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Haughty, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Haughty

Haughty Diabloii.Net Member

Yet another Newb Question

Really sorry for this. But looking around I find alot of different builds for all the classes. And being a newb I can't really figure out what to go for. But as this will be an untwinked char, sorc. Would anyone be so kind to suggest an easygoing build for solo playing, aswell as some 2-3 people group playing. Sorry if there is an obvious post here with the answer.

Thanks in advance!

-Hau

2. Tejadia

Tejadia Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Yet another Newb Question

Meteorb is probably your best bet for untwinked, will give you a great all-around MFer for end-game use.

3. Baltha

Baltha Diabloii.Net Member

My first matriarch in Single Player/1.11 was an untwinked Meteorb (take a look at Sasja's guide in the Sorc Forum). As Tejadia said, she is a strong option if you want to play a sorc.

4. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 Diabloii.Net Member

I would third the suggestion of a Meteorb.

2 types of skill-based damage to deal with immunity (fireball/FO)
    Mobility (teleport)
    Boss-killing skill (static field)

It's all you need as an untwinked character.

5. Smips

Smips Diabloii.Net Member

I'm going to agree with everyone else here with Meteorb. You'll should probably stall in Act 3 NM and Hell to do Meph runs for equipment though. In Act 5 Hell, you'll probably just end up teleporting through most of it(at least that's what I end up doing with sorcs :whistling: )

6. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

Play whatever character you want to. First character is usually to get the feel for the game and how it works, it doesn't have to be perfect or kill all the toughest monsters fast.

For more info, check the great info by Mursilis in newcomer forum, it's stickied there, great compilation of builds which are (relatively) easy to play for new players.

7. Xdeathfire

Xdeathfire Diabloii.Net Member

Well, fishymancer is also an option.

You can run WSK and Baal with him. Very easy to play through untwinked and not gear dependent so you can stack lots of MF on him without much sacrifice in killing speed. Finally, you rarely die unless some nasty boss pack somehow get past your minions or you have gloams or something like that snipe you from afar.

8. cft

cft Diabloii.Net Member

I prefer blizzard/fireball/meteor to a meteor/orb sorc. But both are similar. I like being able to toss a blizzard on an area. Orb covers areas almost as well. fireball synergied with meteor (or meteor synergized with fireball) is nice because then you have both options - direct fireballs and meteors for when you want to call in the airstrike (like when you are running like crazy from the ancients)

I think I started with a barb who got to lv45 ish and killed normal baal like 50 times in a row, just to get some basic items. Then I made a sorc with those items, til I could hit NM meph a lot.

I was playing HC at the time, so I had to remake some of the chars a few times, but it worked ok.

For starting out real low lvls, toss some chipped gems into a bow and take your time in act 1 and you should get past Andarial. She's a little tough to take with a bow, you might want to put 3 red gems in a club or something to fight her. And when you fight duriel, make sure you have a shield, and make sure you stay right next to him so he doesn't have room to charge.

9. Grimlorn

Grimlorn Diabloii.Net Member

Are there any classes that can use several abilities effectively? I guess I can't get the Barbarian from Diablo 3 out of my mind.

I want to try a character that has 1 or 2 crowd controls along with maybe an ability for bosses fights, and maybe an escape kind of like how Barbarian would jump away from mobs in the D3 video.

Is that possible in D2 or am I going to have to wait for D3 to do stuff like that?

It's just I'm playing a hammerdin right now, and it's soooooooooo boring, just hammering all the time with concentration aura on. Almost at Baal on Normal, though.

10. Llathias

Llathias Banned

The assassin seems to be the most likely candidate, especially the warrior monk (which was designed to fight uber-Tristram). You have mind blast and CoS as crowd control skills, Blade Fury for killing normal monsters from a distance, Dragon Talon for boss fights, and Dragon Flight to escape.

Or, you could compromise one of those and play any character! Actually, even your paladin has all those abilities: HF from merc (to be obtained in NM) as crowd control, Smite with CB for tough bosses, Charge&Vigor for getting out of trouble (or just a few hammers to kill everything around you!).

11. Grimlorn

Grimlorn Diabloii.Net Member

I understand what you mean about Paladins skills, but it seems like you have to put all your points into hammers and it's synergy to get it to be strong, and the same goes for a smite type paladin.

I was hoping I could maybe get a few abilities together that would work for a build and would still be very effective for hell without having to build one abiltiy up with like 80 points like Hammerdin.

I'm also looking at the control system and it seems like you have to put the abilities on your mouse keys before using them? Like I tried putting F1 on some skills and it would just switch to the mouse key? Is there anyway to just make F1 perform the ability without having to click afterward or do you have to keep switching and clicking for each ability?

Was looking at Barbarian, but I'll look into Assassin.

12. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave Diabloii.Net Member

That's correct. Switching RHM skills using the Fkeys while holding the RHM button down is a quick way to use different skills