Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

(yet another) 5th class idea: The Agent

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Technomancer, May 5, 2010.

1. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

(yet another) 5th class idea: The Agent

After nearly a year after my first class (and post) on here, and after several months out of the speculation game, here's my newest offering...

...The 'Agent'!

Now, this is incomplete as of yet, lore and skills, but I think I've finally got a pretty solid direction going now and thought I'd go ahead and throw it up. I was trying for a 'skill-tree'less setup, but I just kept thinking and organizing in 3 skill groups. I think I'll go ahead and just go for the current model that's up on the wiki (3 trees, 6 tiers, 30-35 skills, 20+ actives). I don't have names for the trees yet, so I'll just describe them. I also don't have them in tiers yet, I'll get around to that later.

-------

The Agent:

These "Agents" have a variety of talents and can be equally suited to diplomacy and intelligence or 'acquisition' and assassination. They are entrusted with sensitive matters and important tasks that are best left behind closed doors. To carry out these tasks, the are trained in a variety of skills, ranging from bloodshed to deception to alchemy to the mystic Arts. They prefer to be able to act at a distance, and are absolutely deadly with bows, crossbows, and all manner of thrown weapons, but are also trained in close-quarters combat when needed. They also prefer to be able to act from a position of security and secrecy, being trained in disguise, stealth, and manipulation. Seeing as how many times, bloodshed is not needed to accomplish their goals, they are also skilled in basic alchemy, being able to brew various potions and poisons, as well as knowledge and psychology. Very intelligent, very skilled, very deadly, Agents are the perfect solution to many problems better left in the shadows.

(Functionally, the Agent would be a cross between an Assassin, Amazon, and Rogue. Also add in a bit of Alchemist and Bard. :D It's primary focus is ranged combat and special abilities, but can also get in close quarters and tear stuff up when needed or desired.)

The Agent has the inherent capability of wielding 2 1-handed weapons at once, including throwing weapons and 1h crossbows. They cannot equip 2h melee weapons, and they prefer knives, for throwing and melee, and bows/crossbows.

- COMBAT
    • Splinter: Active. Missile attack that, upon impact, will split the missile into a number of additional missiles that shoot out from the target to any other targets in range.
    • Snipe: Active. Missile attack that charges up power while the mouse is clicked on a target. The Agent follows the target while carefully taking aim, and when the mouse is released, a very powerful, accurate shot is fired. The longer the mouse is held down (until full charge), the attack becomes MUCH more powerful and accurate. The Rank increases max damage and accuracy while shortening charge time.
    • Flurry: Active. Melee attack that hits one or more foes several times in quick succession. If dual-wielding, each weapon gets to attack in the same time span, doubling the number of attacks in the same time period.
    • Jolt: Active. Missile or Melee attack that unleashes an amount of electrical energy that has been imbued into the weapon. Crits will stun target.
    • Called Shot: Active. Missile or Melee attack that specifically targets weak points, doing increased damage and slowing targets. Crits will stun target.
    • Assassinate: Active. Pre-req: Called Shot. Missile or Melee. Advanced knowledge of vital organs and superb weapon skill allows the Agent to strike a deadly blow at a target either from a distance or up close and personal. This attack does massive damage, but on a Critical Hit, will slay any non-special monsters instantly. On special foes, damage is doubled on Critical Hits. Has a 4 second cool down time.
    • Rapid Fire: Passive. Increases the attack speed of all missile attacks.
    • Anatomy: Passive. Advanced knowledge of the inner workings of various creatures gives the Agent an increased chance of landing Critical Hits.
    • Shockwave: Passive. Provides a chance that on Crit. Hits, a Melee or Missile attack will create a high-energy blast wave that damages any foes near the source. Rank increases chance of triggering, percent of original damage to be done to others, and the radius of the shockwave.

- ALCHEMY
    • Burning Oil: Active. Throws a bottle of highly flammable fluid that ignites and engulfs any enemies within range. Rank increases effect range, damage, and the amount of time foes stay on fire.
    • Envenom: Active. Coats the recipient's weapons with a toxic substance, adding poison damage on any foes struck for the duration of the skill. Can be cast on self or allies. (like a cross between D2's Poison Dagger and Enchant)
    • Fool's Gold: Active. When stealth, diplomacy, and brute force aren't enough, sometimes a little bribery can do the trick. The Agent throws fake gold towards a foe, scattering it along the ground. Any foes that see this 'gold' have a chance of being compelled to go and pick it up. Rank increases the amount of 'gold' thrown (ie. how long it takes to dissipate) and the quality of the fake gold (ie. how likely foes are to be attracted to it). Fool's Gold doesn't work on special monsters
    • Philter Amore: Active. Coats the Agent's weapons (can only be used on self) for a time with a charm/suggestion agent which will make targets more susceptible to influence, possibly causing the foe to fight for the Agent for a short time. Rank increases chance of this happening, duration of the charming, and the time the weapons retains the coating. Does not work on special monsters.
    • Drought of Attunement: Active. Produces a sip of a magical alchemical substance that, when imbibed, increases the drinker's resistance to Fire, Ice, and Lightning. Can be used on self or others, but has a long cool down time (90 seconds at Rank 1). Ranks increase the resistance benefit to the target, the duration of the effect, and decrease the cool down time by 5 seconds/Rank.
    • Breath of Madness: Active. This powerful and dark skill sprays forth a cone-shaped cloud from the Agent, causing any foes in range to suffer from a variety of effects. Some foes may be confused and stand still, some may attack one another, some may fight on your side for a time (as Philter Amore), some may go berserk, attacking friend and foe with increased strength and vigor. Regardless of any other effects, all foes effected will see their defense reduced since they no longer actively defend themselves in their compromised state. Ranks increase duration and lowered defense.
    • Flash Bang: Passive. Add an additional effect to Burning Oil, creating a brilliant flash of light upon impact, blinding any foes in range. Rank increases duration of blinding and radius of blinding effect.
    • Caustic Alchemy: Passive. Increases the potency (damage) of Burning Oil and Envenom.
    • Engulf: Passive. Pre-req: Burning Oil. Provides a chance that on Crit. Hits, Missile or Melee attacks splash 'Burning Oil' on a foes during a physical attack, causing them and any foes in range to burst into flames, taking Burning Oil damage (all as if the skill Burning Oil had been used). 'Flash Bang' will also be triggered, is applicable. Rank increases the chance of this triggering on Crits.

- MAGIC/DECEPTION
    • Eye Spy: Active. Conjures an ethereal, disembodied eyeball that flies away from the Agent in the direction of the targeted location, passing through walls and enemies unimpeded, revealing monsters and map features beyond the Agent's normal line-of-sight. Rank increases range.
    • Code of Silence: Active. In keeping with the Agent's covert tendencies, this spell creates a field of Silence that affects any foes entering it, stopping them from casting spells or calling for help. This is an area spell and will not follow a specific target. Rank increases duration and the size of the field.
    • Telekinesis: Active. Like the Sorceress's TK, this skill can open doors/chests, but when a foe is targeted. it becomes a 2-stage skill. When a foe is clicked on, it is temporarily immobilized, unable to move or attack for a short duration, but if the skill is used a second time elsewhere while the first is still in effect, the first target will fly towards the second location, causing damage to itself and anything else that gets in it's way. It can also be used to pull a foe out of a crowd. Does not work on special monsters. Rank increases stun duration and damage from flinging.
    • Mark of Calling: Active. Marks a target or location with a powerful attraction field, causing all missiles that come within the field to divert and fly directly towards the Mark. When used on a target, the result is obvious, they become the target for any missile that gets near them, but for a location marker, missiles will fly towards and over it, going out the other direction, causing missiles to fly wildly off course. Only works on physical missiles, not magic spells. Rank increases range and duration. Only one Mark may be active at a time, creating a new one cancels the last.
    • Shadow Walk: Active. Allows the Agent to traverse shadows as if one of them. When this skill is used on a shaded area, the Agent walks there and melds into the shadows. Then the player can click anywhere else within sight that is also shaded and will move there and reappear. Rank increases travel speed and reduces cost.
    • Disguise: Active: Pre-req: Charisma. Allows the Agent to blend in with other people/creatures, for a period of time, being able to move freely through packs of enemies without triggering hostility. This effect does not work on special monsters, who will still attack the Agent on sight. Also, if the Agent attacks while this skill is in effect, the Disguise is ruined and any monsters within range will attack. This could make for a pretty nasty welcome, far behind enemy lines.
    • Shadow Beast: Active. Pre-req: Shadow Walk. Imbues the very shadows with a life of their own. This spell, when cast on a natural shadow, will animate it and form it into a creature that exists to do the Agent's bidding. It will attack foes and can drain health from them while having a chance of terrifying them, causing them to flee. Rank increases the Beast strength.
    • Safe Passage: Passive. Gives a 6%/rank (max 90%) chance of not triggering traps, either from chests or from the terrain.
    • Charisma: Passive. Gives the character a better understanding of dealing with others, giving a 2%/rank decrease in vendor costs, as well as adding a chance of monsters ignoring them in combat if there are other targets nearby.
    • Safety of Shadows: Passive. Able to blend in with surrounding shadows better and better, Ranks in this skill increase the Agent's evasion of both physical and magical attacks.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. commonhumans

commonhumans IncGamers Member

Re: (yet another) 5th class idea: The Agent

I could totes get behind this guy, but i think id like him better if he used bows rather that crossbows... rah!

3. Kire

Kire IncGamers Member

I like how we're all circling the same idea...the next class HAS to be ranged and use a little bit of Alchemy! What better way to debuff the baddies and give ya more room?

I bet the lore behind this one could get really interesting too...it'll probably be a girl tho (Barb was introduced first as male, WD-male, Wizard-female, Monk-male) so the next class will be predominantly female.

4. Technomancer

Well, he uses bows AND crossbows! I'm making a completely unfounded assumption about 1h crossbows, but other than that, bows are just as preferred.

I think there's plenty of room to play around with in regards to alchemy, and it just feels like a natural, untapped skillset. :D But yeah, there has got to be some sort of ranged attacking going on. Diablo wouldn't be Diablo without someone firing away!

And yeah, you're right Kire, the next class needs to be presented as female since only the Wizard has been introduced that way.

-------------

EDIT: I added some stuff to the original post...

Alchemy:
    Added 'Fool's Gold'
    Added Rank info to 'Flash Bang'
    Added 'Flash Bang' effect to 'Engulf'

Magic/Deception:
    Added Pre-req to 'Disguise' (Charisma)
    Added 'Code of Silence'
    Added 'Shadow Beast'

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  5. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

6. Technomancer

Yeah, it is similar in concept. I don't imagine there's much that HASN'T been approached at some point though! That was from nearly a year ago too! Ahh, the glory days of the Character Creation Forum before they revealed the Monk!!

I guess that board was so slow they merged it with the main D3 Gen. Forum. Might have fit better as a sub-forum of the Fan Creation board, but ah well. After Blizzcon, there isn't gonna be anymore to speculate.

Except xpac classes!!! :evil:

7. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

I don't care about the expansion, the current classes are good enough. And I wouldn't want any classes from D2LOD to return.

:whistling:

8. Slasher

Slasher IncGamers Member

When I read the thread title I immediately thought of The Matrix.

Hello Mr Anderson!

Your agent class seems like an amazon/assassin mixture. It's interesting.

9. Technomancer

LOL!! That's awesome! Now I want to make a Matrix 'Agent' class!!

"Hello, Mr. Diablo..."