Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Yet another 1.10 bug - Upgraded Ethereal Items

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hythopian Shade, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Hythopian Shade

Hythopian Shade IncGamers Member

Yet another 1.10 bug - Upgraded Ethereal Items

I don't know if this has been discovered yet, but the name says it all.

When I upgraded my ethereal Titans Revenge, it did less damage then its exceptional counterpart. I also had various ethereal rare armors (helms, belts, armors, shields, ect), all of which lost defense when upgraded. I know for a fact it was a loss because I upgraded 150-180 ed armors, all of which had less defense then their exceptional versions. The moral: don't upgrade ethereal items.

2. red_devil

red_devil IncGamers Member

thanks for posting your find.. :thumbsup:

but i never use ethereal items.. the ethereal uniques goes into my collection.. but i never use em.. mainly cos it wont be with me for long and i dont want to part with my items.. :scared:

and zod is impossible to find too..

:hanky:

3. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

it's not a bug, when you upgrate, the receipe is not an etheral item. so you loose the etheral bonus.

4. usamahanas

usamahanas IncGamers Member

hmm someone has post in the item find thread a post about his etheral upgraded Hon sundan, so I don't think the items loose their etheral bonus

5. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

When you upgrade the item still remains ethereal. So it should still gain the bonus. I think the bug was pretty well known, but it's always a good friendly reminder.

6. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

@Nemar The item remains etheral. The only exception to this is upgrading to a phase blade.

@Hythopian Shade This is a known bug for some reason armors that are upgraded lose the 50% base etheral bonus but retain the etheral mod. It only occurs in armors weapons retain the 50% bonus. Because of this 50% bonus' placement in the calculation the amount lost by this bonus can and will lower the final defense below the beginning defense. I had this occur with a rare containing a +1 durablity ever 20 secs mod that had enough otherwise to make it worth upgrading so I tried it and my defense went up 10 points even with the +1xx% ED mod

7. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

i have a upgraded eth titans but it does definitly more damage then the normal versions of it... dont know,maybe you have an older patch of 1.10? :scratch:

8. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

I'm glad i read this thread. i was gonna try to upgrade my etheral skulders... but now i wont. Also, is there any trouble with socketing etheral items?

9. Hythopian Shade

Hythopian Shade IncGamers Member

I have the latest patch of 1.10, but for whatever reason the upgraded Titans (which stayed ethereal, just like all my upgraded items) did less damage then the exceptional version.

There is no problem with socketing an ethereal item, but I would't un-socket one without backing it up first just in case it loses the 50% ed bonus from being ethereal. I haven't tried this yet, its just speculation, but better safe then sorry.

I'm going to bed now, so if I don't reply its because I'm sleeping. Have a good day everybody :)

10. Purkake

Purkake IncGamers Member

IIRC it was because ir rerolls the base damage/defens and it may be LOWER than the on the item that you upgraded.

11. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Base damage on weapons never changes.

12. Purkake

Purkake IncGamers Member

it doesnt? Then how come i can find a cap with 3 def a cap with 4 def and a cap with 5 def. All were normal caps(not damaged/low quality/superior)

13. Bull(R)

Bull(R) IncGamers Member

*cough* he said WEAPONS *cough* :lol:

14. ashrael2

ashrael2 IncGamers Member

I upgraded this and it gained about 200 defense :( Not too helpful for my Ironbarb

15. boogied6

boogied6 IncGamers Member

i upgraded the ethereal spire of honor and i have no problems at all

16. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

There's another bug with upgrading ethereal items which I haven't seen listed before:
    The durability gets reset to the pre-ethereal amount when upgrading.

Good for godly rares without self-repair :teeth:

17. Ensis

Ensis IncGamers Member

I upgraded my Ethereal Hone Sudan and it now does 100-729 damage. This is exactly what it should do being an ethereal ghost spear with 197%ED and a +20-40 damage mod. No Bugs Here.

18. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

Also, my upgraded ethereal Titan's Revenge had the ballparked damage that I thought. It is definately higher than the exceptional version.

19. nikstone

nikstone IncGamers Member

Ok, here is what I see:

Its not worth upgrading ethereal armors because they loose whatever bonus.
    Its worth upgrading ethereal weapons because they dont loose any bonus.

The question is: Why does the aforementioned etheral Titans revenge have less damage while upgraded, since there shouldnt be any loss of bonus?

20. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

I'm not sure that this is the same thing, but I know that a Grim Helm/ Bone Visage and Gilded Shield/ Zakarum Shield both have variable base defenses that overlap. The base defense is rerolled on the upgrade I think, hence

A Gilded Shield has a base defense from 144-168 (thought an HoZ always has the same base defense) where a Zakarum Shield has a base defense of 169-193. So you could have a HoZ which always has the same base defense but when you upgrade it your base defense could reroll as 169 thus not changing the defense at all... at least this is what I found when I experimented w/ this awhile back. And the same thing holds true for a Vamp Gaze...

Whether or not this has anything to do w/ what you are experiencing I have no idea and tend to think probably not, as damage is diffent that defense.

edit: upon further inspection this was discussed somewhat above earlier, and doesn't explain the weird titan's. I wonder if you could post the ATMA stats of said Titan's for all to see.