Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Yeah for Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, May 11, 2005.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Yeah for Blu-ray!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/611/611379p1.html

http://gear.ign.com/articles/611/611380p1.html

Blu-ray was announced winner for the new disk format(meaning DVDs will being going away for mass storage and eventually as how movies are distributed) It is really a combination of two formats, but when it comes down to it the consumer won. 50gigs on a single disk that takes a lot to scratch(a scratch will have to be deeper than before to mess up a disk).

So two or three HD movies can be put on a single disk without problems. The capacity will eventually go up(once they get the dual layer thing figured out) to 100gigs and maybe 150gigs(although then scratching becomes an issue again) so entire movie series or TV shows could be put on a disk.

Blu-Ray also rids the world of all the +/- stuff that is going on with DVDs. So no need to worry about compatibility.

Since Apple joined the Blu-ray side a long time ago and the recent fine grained coding of Tiger I am seeing Dual Dual Core PowerMacs with Blu-Ray burners. . .*Drools*

Now, if you will excuse me I need to go buy new pants.

2. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Maybe I'm getting old, but this doesn't excite me. I've easily invested $500 building my DVD library over the last year, and that's a conservative number for what a lot of people I know are spending on it.

So those DVDs that are supposed to last a lifetime might well last a lifetime, but will be about as useful in 20 years as an 8-track is now? Sweet. Remind me never to buy a movie again. Pay-per-view might actually be just as cheap in the long run anyway, what with paying $20 a movie I might watch 3 times before the next technology forces me to spent $50.

Bah humbug.

3. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Yes, DC. You are getting old. I'm serious -- this is the beginning of your hardening into a profile less willing to change than when you were younger. It isn't a bad thing, but it is fairly inevitable.

I find the whole thing rather exciting. I've been disgruntled for a long time about the tattered way DVD's have been presented to the populace; you practically have to be an expert to make sure a DVD from one place or country will play in another.

Besides, it probably won't happen overnight, and it isn't going to be cheap. The technology may change, but I'm sure discs will come in different sizes for different applications; you don't want to save your school documents on a 150-gig rewriteable disc.

I am all for it.

4. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

I wouldnt worry too much DC,
    since DVDs came out, VHS has stilll been around.
    I dont see any difference to the Blu-Ray//DVD thing.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Blu-Ray players can be set up to read DVDs pretty easily. I wouldn't worry about your DVDs becoming obsolete.

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

technology just keeps getting better and better...

and the price just keeps going up and up...

7. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I'm with you, I just got my parents to buy a DVD player. dad's gonna flip when he finds out.

no one tell him...okay? :)

8. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

you just got your parents to buy a dvd player??? that's kinda late but anyway, dont expect blu-ray discs to be out in production soon. They are still in development. Even after they come out, dvds will still be going on strong for a while through one of those transition phases from dvds to blu-ray.

9. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

yeah, thats what im saying.
    I was comparing DVD - VHS
    and then BluRay - DVD.

yeah?