"Y'all"... a Discussion

PlagueBearer

Diabloii.Net Member
"Y'all"... a Discussion

Common in much of the United States and used in much of the rest of the English-speaking word, the contraction "y'all" (also spelled "ya'll") takes the place of "you all" in speach. Despite its frequency of use, it is generally considered poor English by academia.

Opinions? Should "y'all" join the other contractions, and be accepted by the English speaking world? Is its exclusion from our language simply another front on the war between rural and urban America? Which spelling is correct? Do we even need a second-person plural pronoun?

Discuss

Lord Nyax

Banned
:shocked:
:largeannoyed:
:mad:
:angry:

Anyone that uses y'all will be insta-euthanized...seriously...

Y'all shouldn't say "y'all". Y'all are bad, evil, sinister people.

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
Howdy y'all. Imma play this here banjo and sing some western tunes. Yeehaw!

*ahem*

It can't be as bad as people wanting to make an Ebonics Dictionary...

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
It isn't as bad as saying "do" instead of door. Or "aks" instead of ask. That is all I'm gonna say about that.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
Anyone ever seen Jeff Foxworthy's Red Neck dicitonary sketches? Those are pretty funny.

Witchadidja: Hey, you didn't bring your truck witchadidja?

Ascenine: Well, I giver her face a two, and her ascenine!

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Witchadidja: Hey, you didn't bring your truck witchadidja?
Ascenine: Well, I giver her face a two, and her ascenine!
Officiate: She's feeling really sick, it must have been officiate.

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
Y'all just don't understand. It's ok though, we don't mind. Y'all is a Texas thing and we're proud of it. And seriously, who gives a crap about what academia (or Nyax for that matter) thinks? My English Grammar professor argued that "ain't", "y'all" and double negatives are accepted uses of speech because their meanings are understood by anyone with an IQ. Trying to discredit a culture's (in this case it's the southern culture)dialect is rediculous, arrogant and pompous. But it's ok, us Texans expect it from the rest of you :smiley:

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Longhorn, I must agree. Y'all isn't going anywhere, and neither is ain't or ain't no. If you must say anything about us Southerners, say that we stick with tradition.

psssst...Longhorn, Southerners aren't supposed to know big words. We may intimidate our Northern brethren..

Nolecub

Diabloii.Net Member
A true redneck don't need one of dem der dictionaries, or whatever them books full of them words are called

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Common in much of the United States and used in much of the rest of the English-speaking word,
Not really. Not to mention that "youse" is probably at least as common, in and outside of the US.

Opinions? Should "y'all" join the other contractions, and be accepted by the English speaking world? Is its exclusion from our language simply another front on the war between rural and urban America? Which spelling is correct?
It's not just incorrect because it's a contraction, "you all" is informal English. "You" can be either singular or plural.

Do we even need a second-person plural pronoun?

Discuss
Well, it'd be nice but it's too late now. We lost ours hundreds of years ago.

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't see what's wrong with admitting that its not correct English, yet using it anyway.

Slang, by definition, uses words that deviate from the normal language. However, its become commonplace for some people to get so attached to thier form of slang that they want it to officially be part of the language. The whole point of slang is to not be part of the language.

Quid has been used for as slang for Sterling Pound for quite a long time, yet I don't see anyone trying to add it to the official dictionary.

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member
I have never heard a non-American say "y'all", except when imitating an American.

The word isn't so much slang as it is a part of that American dialect that gave us such charming words "critter", "diller" and "n*****" and therefore has no place in the proper language.

Once you understand why there is a properly accepted version of English you will understand why admitting such words into the 'canon' is a heresy.

As for Ebonics, one day African Americans will wake up to themselves and realise just what it is, and they will be ashamed to have promoted it.

These words have their place in English only within speech marks.

LonghornRob

Diabloii.Net Member
I have never heard a non-American say "y'all", except when imitating an American.

The word isn't so much slang as it is a part of that American dialect that gave us such charming words "critter", "diller" and "n*****" and therefore has no place in the proper language.

Once you understand why there is a properly accepted version of English you will understand why admitting such words into the 'canon' is a heresy.

As for Ebonics, one day African Americans will wake up to themselves and realise just what it is, and they will be ashamed to have promoted it.

These words have their place in English only within speech marks.
What in tarnation is wrong with the word "critter"?!