Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

XP and DiabloII

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JohnnyBravo, Feb 8, 2004.

1. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo IncGamers Member

XP and DiabloII

With the recent crash of my HD I decided to install XP instead of windows 98se which is what I was running. Other than work I've had no experience with XP expecially in installing programs. Diablo II classic installed without any problems, but LOD is giving me problems. Is there a trick I need to do to get this installed?

2. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

What problem are you having, exactly? I have LOD installed on XP and I had no problems at all, so like as not this isn't specific to XP--more likely it's something about your hardware or software setup the game doesn't like.

3. JohnnyBravo

It get about half way through copying the d2music.mpq and then just hangs???

4. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I recently got a new comp with xp, and have no problem with installation. However my friend's XP has the same problem with installation. It has something to do with CD-rom suddenly would not be able to read the disk, and a computer restart solved the problem.

5. Kamelbarn

Kamelbarn IncGamers Member

Just copy it manually then. You'll find the file on the Play Disc, just copy it to the Diablo II directory.

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

ive had this problem on other games. if it always happens about the same point, its almost certainly because of a scratch on the CD or its dirty. give it a nice clean, look for any scraches. that fixed my game.

7. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

XP is 3v1L! The damn thing made my HD go haywire some years ago, 2 maybe. Ever since I've use Win2000 Pro and never looked back. Never had any problem whatsoever. 'Cept this summer with the Worm that was spreding like the plague and rendered useless some simple things like opening a new page. But I got rid of it in a matters of hours.

8. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

Actually, I have XP Pro and it works like a charm. It is much better than the Home Edition. As for the problem at hand, I've never had that problem with it before. The sugguestions given, though, sound like sage advice.

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

i kno someoen with XP pro version and its a waste of money. the few extra thigns it provides dont merit the price treble over home edition.

10. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Treble the price? Even at retail, XP Home is £170 and Pro is £230 (UK prices)--that's hardly a factor of 3 difference!

11. XaviarGangrel

XaviarGangrel IncGamers Member

Until recently I had Win2000 on my comp, and had several problems with it and LoD, however after a reformat and XP being installed, never seem to have any issues at all.

I did have a similar issue with one of the install disks however, and it was caused by a great big mark on the disk where it had been put down on a coffee stained table. Clean the disk sorted it, thats the only problem I can think of doing that unless somehow the data on the disk is corrupt.. is it the same disk you've used to install before?

12. JohnnyBravo

I'm at a loss. I try to copy in manually and it still hung up. I guess there is something wrong with the CD or drive. It seems as though it stops in the same place all the time. I looked at the cd and didn't see anything major wrong with it. It's clean and has some small scratches on it. I started diablo II classic and created a character.... I forgot how much was in LOD.... I'm gonna check the IDE cable although I doubt that is it... I have no idea what else to do.

13. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

I think you may have found your problem. It doesn't take a real big scratch it it's in just the wrong place. I'm assumming that you've loaded from this disk in the past? If you have access to another system, try to read the file there and compare results. If you can read it and then burn it to a new CD, you can work around the problem.

The likely culprits are the disk and the reader. I don't think the cable is an issue or you'd be getting more random results.

EDIT: FTR, I'm running XPPro on my home system (thanks to my office). I've had no problems at all.

14. JohnnyBravo

WOOOHOOOO!!!! I have DiabloII:LOD back!! At my wits end I was about to give up completely and I thought wait, somewhere, someone, and from your responces, maybe a lot of people had the same problem. I decided to look on the Blizzard support page. I not only found the problem what they suggested worked!!

It was so simple. LOD installation was trying to copy d2music.mpq from the Diablo II installation CD and I was getting an error. Well what if we make LOD installation think it is there. The page told me to take the d2xmusic.mpq and copy it to my diabloII folder and rename it to d2music.mpq. So to make a long story short I tried to install LOd again and as it started, like before, it checked my DiabloII directory for the d2music.mpq file and it was there so it didn't have to copy it. It just went on installing like normal!!!!!

I will get back the rest of my programs as I need them, but for now I have DiabloII: LOD and the world is right again!! :)