Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wyatt Cheng on Taeguk's Legendary Gem

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

[​IMG]

[caption id="attachment_379408" align="alignright" width="219"][​IMG] Initial PTR version.[/caption]One of the most powerful/annoying of the Diablo 3 Legendary Gems is Taeguk's, which adds a stack every time you use a resource spending skill. These stacks boost your damage and defense and are very powerful, especially when you've got 80 or 100 of them at high levels of the gem... but since the stacks expire if you go more then 3 seconds without refreshing them, there's a lot of pressure to keep them active.

I'm tired of being pigeonholed into using this really annoying gem. I pretty much just worry about not losing my stacks for the entire GR instead of paying attention to what im killing. Is it game breaking? no just really annoying losing 84 stacks which takes almost a full minute to restack is super depressing. Now I think what a good option for this would be if you miss the timer that you lose half your stacks and continues to half until under ten which than it drops entirely.
    [​IMG]Wyatt Cheng: Taeguk feels too necessary for a number of builds that it doesn't fit well into. Every gem should have a specific use. Zei's Stone of Vengeance is an example of a gem we think works well: it's used by people who want a ranged playstyle, and it's not used by people who fight close. Taeguk was intended to be a gem that was great for players who used movement-based channeled skills like Strafe or Whirlwind. It feels bad shooting Multishot into thin air to keep Taeguk stacks up, and we want to look at some changes that would give players other options. We want to avoid changes to Taeguk that would further cement Taeguk as a gem that is strong regardless of playstyle. We're still working out the best way to address this, but if we change Taeguk to adjust it more for channeled skills then we would certainly provide other comparable alternatives, probably in the form of buffs to some other legendary gems.[source]http://www.diabloii.net/blizzard-tracker/devthread/us/20742464060[/source]

A few seasons ago when Legendary Gems were new, I used to *joke* that slow loading levels were History's Greatest Monster... since it was so easy to spend an entire level level getting your Taeguk's to maximum stack, and then see it all vanish due to a slow computer or lag. (This level loading time sponsored by Taeguk's and your next SSD upgrade.)

That aspect of Taeguk's and other similar buffs will never change, but from what Wyatt says, it sounds like the function of the gem itself probably will, at least restricting it to the channeling type builds it's meant to support. Do you guys like the idea of that change? Or will you miss having to shoot off your spender every 2.9 seconds, even when you're not in combat, are clicking up item drops, or are just running to get to the next pack of monsters?
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

2. Thortok2000

Thortok2000 IncGamers Member

This is one of those gems I never use because there's no way a 3 second timer is going to work for me. A buff that only lasts for 3 seconds is way too strict of a cut off for me.

Now, if it lost one stack per 3 seconds I could work with it. But all stacks after 3 seconds? No thanks. Price too high.

3. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius IncGamers Member

I don't like having to manage the buff on Taeguk (multishot build), but it's SO good because it boosts both offense and defense. I put up with the annoying playstyle because most other gems offer one or the other. My suggestion would be to increase the time the stacks stay up AND make it so you don't lose all stacks at once (the "half" suggestion above looks good). But they also need to re-work other gems so that they're improved. In fact, instead of adding a new gem next season, just re-work 2 or 3 current defensive gems to add some kind of offensive component. We know they have the usage rates; just pick the bottom 3 and start from there.

4. talentlessclod

talentlessclod IncGamers Member

Shoot off your spender every 2.9 seconds? Ah to be in my 20's again.

5. trocadero

trocadero IncGamers Member

Taeguk is awful, and they should have seen it coming. Leg gems and sets are the primary reason they need to get off their butts and do an expansion, so they can wipe them all out w/ one quick "doesn't work at level 71" nuke. Here's how silly it is. W/ a functioning Invoker set, Crusaders should put a Topaz in their weapons instead of an Emerald, but even then, they'll still need Bane of the Trapped. Bane of the Trapped is just a passive that everybody uses and tries to level up quickly. That's not an interesting choice, that's just another Paragon like level grind.

6. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

Taeguk is too annoying. Will never use. Games are supposed to be fun, not micro-management tedious crap. Same reason I quit Starcraft II, but that was SO MUCH WORSE.

7. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

I've been having a lot of fun on SC 2 - I just picked it (all 3) up like, last week. Only playing been playing the story, but that's just it. It's fun when you have no pressure to min-max. (not saying the PvP isn't fun, but it puts on a whole set of stress you have to work with).

... um. That was OT a bit I guess. I agree with the thoughts on Taeguk. I took it out of my DH because I didn't enjoy dealing with it. I think the proposed changes (making it work better with channeling to make it more specific) are great ideas.

I believe every play style should have unique gems, and more than just 3 should be competitive so you get some real sense of choice. Even if it's just choosing from four or something, with an extra fifth you might want in HC (or if you just enjoy playing SC safe).

8. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

I feel like it's fine where it's at. Like he said it was meant for channeling builds, and we've adapted that to our own liking. By "exploiting" how powerful the gem is we've had to adopt weird, gimmicky playstyles. Playing at the top end isn't for everyone, and shouldn't always be easy. If you want to play there with the best possible advantages it might take some getting used to. Channeling builds also got a bunch of attention this patch, so more builds get to use Taeguk. I think it's working fine as intended.

Think of bane of the trapped. That's always been a super powerful gem, but people thought it would (initially) only apply to melee builds because of the secondary effect. So, any "ranged" build that wants to use it has to work in some form of cc/slow effect to take advantage of it.

9. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

This is very true. It always surprises me how easy it is for people (myself included) to complain about "having" to use stuff we, really, don't "have" to use.

10. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Yes, that's very true. But if you're going to push 75+ solo it really almost is required.

I hate it, except on my stafer, where I love it.