Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wyatt Cheng Live Stream Video

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Blizzard held the last of their current series of Play it Your Way Thursday live streams last week, but there were technical issues with two crashes during the recording, and the VoD of the video was not made available after the show. If you missed it live, there's been no way to see it until now, when the video went online this morning

Real life caused me to miss it last week, but with the video now available I watched it and typed up a running commentary which you can read below, in a lot less than 58 minutes. There wasn't any new news, or any hints about upcoming features or Blizzcon plans, but Wyatt Cheng did share some interesting behind the scenes info. The biggest speech was when Wyatt talked about their design theory and goals behind the Focus and Restraint item set rings, which he admits are strong, but doesn't think are OP.

29:40 Storytime with Wyatt! "We iterated on those rings a lot.

Initially the idea was at full resource you'd get extra damage with the rings equipped, and it was like that in the game for a year or so. When we wanted to improve them in v2.2, our goal on the redesign was to make a ring choice that was better than the Ring of Royal Grandeur. And most players think we did, and some players think we overshot. We're open to debating that. If we did overshoot (made F/R too good) we don't think we overshot by very much. You've got to consider other choices like Unity or Convention of Elements. Focus/Restraint is worth 62.5% damage per ring slot when the buffs are up, so it's better than other stuff, but we don't think totally overpowered.

[caption id="attachment_375123" align="alignright" width="145"][​IMG] The bad old days...[/caption]We talked about a lot about mechanics with F/R. Should it require high resource or low resource? Back in 2.1, before the F/R revision, players were making all Spender builds that didn't to use any generators, and there were complaints about that. So we wanted to provide more options.

I'm not thrilled when people put a Generator on their bar *just* to make the F/R buffs work. That's pretty common for WW barbs, where they'll often put Bash on their build just to keep the F/R buffs triggered.

The intent for F/R was to make a good pair of rings for people who are already using a build with a mixture of spenders and generators. F/R isn't supposed to be something where you just watch the buff bar timers and then click your Generator with .5 left on the buff.

But it is what it is and I think it accomplished our goal of making something even more powerful than RoRG. People said there would never be any ring options better than that. And now people say F/R will never be outdone by other ring options.. I'm sure there will be other things that come along that are even better or different options.

Ultimately I'd like F/R to be a build choice, something that really works with your gear and play style, and for there to be other build options that were just as good, for builds that weren't alternating spenders and generators.

The play session was on the PTR, recorded while the Community Buff was active, so the legendary items rain like candy. They start off buzzing through a couple of T8 Rifts, and then move over to Grifts. As usual on these, the Blizzard people are using test accounts that aren't very strong, so the guests are actually driving the most powerful cars on the track, and poor Nevalistis gets obliterated repeatedly, trying to keep up, and talk, on high difficulty level with an underpowered character.

Participants are: Nevalistis' Witch Doctor, Drothvader his Roland's Crusader, Wyatt's Wizard, and Rhykker's Demon Hunter. Click through for the video and transcript/summary.

1-3:30 -- Intro and Drothvader talking about his Crusader build and how he's modified it on the PTR; better resource regen thanks to the Cube has allowed some gear switching.

3:30 -- Power failure at Blizzard, things go black for a short delay.

4:00 -- Back with Wyatt talking about the Season Journey, and how it's fun to earn the Achievements with mini-goals and the profile and banner visual rewards. Rhykker only plays non-seasonal, but will do some seasonal to get the achievements.

6:55 -- Wyatt, "We could open up a Realm of Trials and see how far this group can go... oh wait!" *group laughter*

8:00 -- Nevalistis talking about how undergeared her WD is on the PTR test account, and how she can't show off the build of the month as well as she'd like. The players who submitted the WD and Wizard builds weren't able to join the stream that day.

12:00 -- Wyatt gets everyone to talk about how good the console version of Reaper of Souls is and how everyone should play it. (Both show guests are PC only.) Even Wyatt admits that it's not wise to play online since people have hacked items, but it's great playing with friends on the couch.

12:30 -- Wyatt talking about programming decisions for the console, "What happens if the loot's there and the guy next to you takes it. Should we lock it? No, that'll be more fun, you can just elbow him in the ribs and argue over it."

15:00 -- Greater Rift time! Their group's highest available is GR37, so off they go. With much joking about how Nevalistis will die a lot. (She's a Death Maiden, after all.)

15:30 -- Wyatt talking about playing Hardcore next season, for a change. Rhykker says he's only softcore, but did some on the PTR since the queues were so much shorter, and kind of enjoyed it. Wyatt talks about how Hardcore is more accessible now, since so much of your progress is bound to your account via Paragon points, shared stash, Kanai's Cube powers, etc.

Wyatt talks about the Cube recipe to make no level req gear and how he wants to do a full backup gear set.

Wyatt: Admits to not knowing what the Hope of Cain cube recipe is. (Upgrade Rare item to Legendary of that type.) He knows the internal names they've been working on the Cube for 6+ months, but not the lore names in game.

Jokes about how they called it a "Super Kadala" feature during a live chat months ago. How they didn't want to call it "Super Cube" since that would have given things away during development.

20:00 -- Goals for the season. Debating if trying to earn GR60 conquest in Hardcore is too scary. Wyatt doesn't think he'll make it. Nevalistis talks about playing softcore and hardcore depending on her friends, but says her greatest goal for Season 4 is to find the new legendary cat mojo for her Witch Doctor.

21:00 -- They blew through GR37 in about 4 minutes and moved up to GR39.

21:30 -- Wyatt talking about Kanai's Cube, and they were asking Travis Day if they could have two immunities, and they thought it was too crazy. That the world would explode. (And now everyone just does CoE for higher damage.)

23:00 -- Talking about cool legendary powers via the Cube to add melee weapon powers for Demon Hunters. Interesting options, since there aren't any viable DH builds that don't involve bows/xbows.

25:00 -- Wyatt talks about a lot of recent changes to boost performance. The Witch Doctor Carnevil change to cut the number of Fetish darts at once was the most visible to the public, but the programmers have been tweaking many skills and item effects to improve performance and cut latency. Removing multiple redundant procs, etc. Players should notice many performance improvements across the board.

26:30 -- Talking about more build diversity thanks to Kanai's Cube.

27:30 -- Nevalistis gets frozen in place, can't t move. And stays stuck when she goes back to town. Has to exit and rejoin the game. Welcome to the PTR!

29:40 -- Story time with Wyatt about Focus/Restraint set rings! (Approximate quotes:)

"We iterated on those rings a lot. Initially the idea was at full resource you'd get extra damage with the rings equipped, and it was like that in the game for a year or so. When we wanted to improve them in v2.2, our goal on the redesign was to make a ring choice that was better than the Ring of Royal Grandeur. And most players think we did, and some players think we overshot. We're open to debating that. If we did overshoot (made F/R too good) we don't think we overshot by very much. You've got to consider other choices like Unity or Convention of Elements. Focus/Restraint is worth 62.5% damage per ring slot when the buffs are up, so it's better than other stuff, but we don't think totally overpowered.

We talked about a lot about mechanics with F/R. Should it require high resource or low resource? Back in 2.1, before the F/R revision, players were making all Spender builds that didn't to use any generators, and there were complaints about that. So we wanted to provide more options.

I'm not thrilled when people put a Generator on their bar *just* to make the F/R buffs work. That's pretty common for WW barbs, where they'll often put Bash on their build just to keep the F/R buffs triggered.

The intent for F/R was to make a good pair of rings for people who are already using a build with a mixture of spenders and generators. F/R isn't supposed to be something where you just watch the buff bar timers and then click your Generator with .5 left on the buff.

But it is what it is and I think it accomplished our goal of making something even more powerful than RoRG. People said there would never be any ring options better than that. And now people say F/R will never be outdone by other ring options.. I'm sure there will be other things that come along that are even better or different options.

Ultimately I'd like F/R to be a build choice, something that really works with your gear and play style, and for there to be other build options that were just as good, for builds that weren't alternating spenders and generators.

33:00 -- Wyatt: The Nat's build is a great example, and F/R should pair very well with that. But for some other builds, like say the Roland's Build, if you're squeezing in some generator just to use F/R, that's fine, we're not going to nerf it, but we'd like to provide other options.

34:00 -- Hexing Pants keep the damage buff even if you stutter step. Wyatt, "A little bit of slosh is intentional on there. For reasons of performance and for playability also."

35:00 -- GR39 cleared, and they're off to The Vault via a Puzzle Ring. Wyatt: I love when the team really loves an area, and the team just gives that extra 5%. Everyone really loved the Vault when they were designing it, and they like that players enjoy doing it so much.

Talking about players saving up their Puzzle Rings now, so they can use them for riches once v2.3 goes live. If anyone likes the Vault so much they'll save up rare rings and try to use them in the Cube recipe to upgrade to legendary, just hoping they turn into more Puzzle Rings.

41:00 -- On to GR41, with plans to end the Stream with some Brawling.

42:00 -- Wyatt asks if anyone has Season Three goals yet to achieve. Wyatt wants to break into the top 1000 on the Wizard leaderboard, but doesn't think he'll make it.

43:00 -- Conversation about Diablo character in Heroes of the Storm. Will people name their female Crusaders after Johanna?

44:00 -- Wyatt says Blizzard is in the best shape in maybe ever. WoW expansion coming, Heroes of the Storm doing great, Hearthstone, Overwatch, etc. (No mention of or teasing Diablo 3 expansion? Neither of the streamer/guests make a peep to ask that obvious question.)

47:00 -- Wyatt wondering if this is the patch where Ancient items have {{double brackets}} yet when they appear. He says they had that in the development months ago, and can't remember if it was live yet, or not.

48:00 -- Talking about the Greater Rift snapshot showing gear/build on a highest GRift clear. That snapshot was working in the tools long ago, but they were bottlenecked in the UI changes, so there was nowhere for the snapshot to display.

49:00 - Question from chat asks about fighting King Kanai in the Ruins of Sescheron? (When you find him on the PTR, a message "The time is not right" is all that you see.)

Reminiscences ensue about Kevin Kanai Griffith, and the question never gets answered.

50:00 -- Stonesinger has been temporarily disabled, but he is coming back. They made some changes but the PTR data showed that it wasn't enough and he was still too easy. So rather than delaying the PTR, they just disabled him and they'll bring him back later.

52:40 -- On to the Brawling, and Wyatt is the first to die! Nevalistis follows soon after. They run around dying randomly for a bit, with the 2 guests doing best with their much stronger accounts. Eventually they say from now, when you die twice you have to return to town. Soon leading to a Brawling champion DrothVader, thanks to his instant kill Shield Bash.

(No player questions about improvements to PvP, pre-made chars for even fights like in the 2010 and 2011 Blizzcon demos, etc.)

57:00 -- Thanks to everyone for joining and watching, etc.

No new info or secret stuff, but some useful behind the scenes info from Wyatt. It's easy to forget how far ahead the internal development is, compared to what we see in patches. Features that seem "new" to us have often been working internally for months and months before players know they exist.
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

2. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

"F/R isn’t supposed to be something where you just watch the buff bar timers and then click your Generator with .5 left on the buff." Srsly? Come on now. If you believe this wasn't a predictable outcome, there's a bridge I'd like you to look at...

3. stonerdoom

stonerdoom IncGamers Member

i agree. i think F/R should be removed along with the furnace. people would actually use the new cube to make builds instead of simply purifying the ones we are already using.

4. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

It's almost like resource generators (mostly) do pitiful damage and no one wants to use them. I wonder how they've spent all the development time on the game if THIS is a bizarre truth.

5. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

That was probably one of the most insightful video's I've seen on this game. Awesome :D Really enjoyed it. Only thing I didn't get was when he said that the PTR data for the Stonesinger 'wasn't enough'. I don't get that comment at all.

It would be cool to see how they play on the console, HC *evilgrin*. That's me, and its cool. Some skills are almost impossible to use on the console simply due to the way the map makes you impossible to see yourself (which is very important) or impossible to see those freezers stacking on top of each other. It can be a bigger problem than ping, seriously. All they need to so is use the large hit boxes already in the game to determine when to make walls disappear. Or larger hits boxes, just for HC players.

Its really weird though the state the game is now. Unlike its predecessor vitality is now worthless. Its all about speed in this iteration of diablo. Unless your a HC player, in which case we all await more HC specific gear (vit, armor, dodge, res, etc).

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

100% agree

7. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

That's not what I was saying. I don't think F/R is op, just that Wyatt Cheng's complaint that people were using a generator just to proc it was weird. Give d3 players a really powerful procced buff item, they'll make a build designed to proc it.

As for cube builds, those will come, no doubt. Give it time it's not even out of testing yet.

8. Flux

Flux Administrator

The stonesinger comment I Think meant that their changes weren't enough to make it comparable in strength to other guardians. No doubt they've got stats showing how long guardian fights take and how often they kill players, and Stoney was still dying too quickly.

I guess nice that they didn't want to hold up the patch for that one fix, or leave it in the patch as a too weak enemy... but it's weird they're all concerned now after Stonesinger has been the single biggest factor in lots of record Grift runs for about the last 3 seasons.

9. koko

koko IncGamers Member

"Question from chat asks about fighting King Kanai in the Ruins of Sescheron? (When you find him on the PTR, a message “The time is not right” is all that you see.)

Reminiscences ensue about Kevin Kanai Griffith, and the question never gets answered."

Sign of expansion?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  10. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

I don't think Wyatt said that they find it weird that people use a generator in their builds only to proc the second half of F/R. He only said that they don't find this ideal from a design standpoint, because it never feels to good to feel forced into using skills when otherwise they don't fit your build. Like he said, F/R was meant to be an alternative to RoRG for builds that already used both generators and spenders, the goal wasn't to force spender only builds to use generators as well. _____ While that wasn't the intention the buff turned out to be too powerful to not take advantage of, so we'll be given less restrictive alternatives eventually for spender only build. Personally I think that in the mean time they could experiment with F/R by changing it so that the first half of the buff you receive will give you 75% extra damage, regardless if it was triggered by a spender or generator, while the second half will only give 25%. This way if a build uses both nothing will change, but for builds that use only one it will become less important to use the other.

11. nobbie

nobbie IncGamers Member

F/R as well as Furnace are fine with the coming cube meta. Wyatt named the alternatives already like RoRG, Unity, SoJ or CoE. You can now combine three of them as good alternatives.

12. trocadero

trocadero IncGamers Member

What Dave was saying (I think) and that I agree w/ is that if you spend any time playing D3 or WoW you knew F/R was going to turn generators into "buff buttons" instead of creating a truly combo build. That's how it happens every time. Wyatt should have known this.

13. HardRock

He could have, but Bashiok showed them that many people in their community cannot recognize sarcastic humor, even when it's painfully obvious.

14. HardRock

I don't think it was obvious at all. In a game where you only have 6 skill slots it's one of the most precious resources you have. Sacrificing one for a skill that would normally be sub-par for your build is far from obvious when there are many buffs available and also other jewelry combinations like Convention of Elements + something else that could potentially be just as good. In hindsight everything is obvious of course.