Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WWS strafer Questions

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Bornaloserbaby, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Bornaloserbaby

Bornaloserbaby IncGamers Member

WWS strafer Questions

I am really enjoying playing this build but I am finding boss killing to be a real pain in the bootay:embarassed:

I realise this build isnt supposed to be an Uber Killin' machine but I am trying to find some ways to make boss killing a little easier.....
    ATM I am using the following equip

WWS 170%ED 2x SHAEL
    Tals mask w/ 15%IAS jwl
    2xs Ravens
    Cats Eye
    LOH
    War Travellors
    ''Duress'' WrymHyde (20%ED :jig: )
    Razor Tail
    Possibly the worst Anni ever.
    Some random + life charms and + res charms
    Lev 82
    Skills
    Max Strafe
    Max valk
    Max Penetrate
    Pierce 9
    Decoy 6
    Avoid 7
    Evade 5
    rest in Pre Reqs

Stats with equipment on

Str 99
    Dex 393
    Life 116 (683 life)

My main problem with Bosses especially baal and diablo is keeping my meatsheilds alive long enough to get a shot off. I seem to spend most of my time recasting valk and decoy than I do fireing. Maybe I should stack a few passive skillers to help boost my meat shields? Or maybe even an Ama Torch?

Should I swap WT's for Gores when I get to Bosses?
    Also Would a bow switch be a good idea? I was thinking GSA becuase of the %ED to demons.

I am open to any suggestions since I was thinking of rebuilding this char anyways.
    But please don't tell me to get faith, this is a budget build for a budget player.

Thanks alot guys n gals :thumbsup:

Edit: I forgot to mention I am using an Act 2 Might Merc with Crown of theives BoneHew (Hel Amn ) and Duriels.

2. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

You have remembered to up the WWS right?

3. Bornaloserbaby

''You have remembered to up the WWS right?''
    Well duuuuh :wink3:

4. SalivaMonster

SalivaMonster IncGamers Member

I think your merc need to have some CB on him.

5. CableDayspring

CableDayspring IncGamers Member

I run pretty much the same skill and stat setup as you but I have made mine more of a pit/chaos mf runner.

I also have problems with Bosses. It can be done but it takes a long time.

Something that might help is Treachery to help prevent the healing. I use the assassin runeword for the wicked 45%IAS and Venom. The addition of Fade helps out in a pinch as well but I typically avoid being hit most of the time.

The other thing that seems to help is using the regular attack with the WWS. The 20% magic damage seems to help out for me. I could be mistaken however...

Also, take a look around for some +max charms. They can make a big difference in physical damage. Your Dex really makes them shine.

Put a Guil Face on your merc and see if you can make him a Duress. That will help with Boss kills as well.

Hope some of this helps.

*cabledayspring

6. jag

jag IncGamers Member

I have a wf strafer w/ faith merc and i have same trouble with bosses. Baal is not too bad if i keep my distance, just slow.

Diablo sucks LOL he keeps coming after me with his 'hose o'death' so i end up downing a bunch of juvies to survive.

Guilliames helps, Gores will help, draculs will help, Getting fortitude armor will help too. Some of these suggestions are fairly cheap - some arent. I would suggest working towards a Fort armor as soon as you can. Will help alot with kill speed and overall safety.

I have access to all this stuff and no matter how i have myself set up I cant kill the big bosses quick. Probably the safest is with draculs, fastest was guilliames and gores.

7. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

for bosses i like to go with Riphook + Blackthorn for the slow on them. add CB gear to your merc and for insane slow "da greena poonchers".
    bow zon aren't for boss killing. i just play mine on Pits and that's all

8. Bornaloserbaby

You mean Guilliams on merc?

For now If I gave my merc my duress and put a guilliams on him it might help. But baal usually kills him pretty quick. Maybe only 1 solution, level him and me up to 85 +. The guilliams should give him enuff str to change the bonehew to AMN AMN. What could i socked the guilliams with?

As for Fortitude......I cant see that happening V soon unless I spend more time pit running and andy running. (The only MF I can do convincingly)

The venom armour sounds interesting. The extra IAS might even mean I could resocket the WWS with some EDJwls. (Any other suggestions?) + Max charms is a good one too. I'll need to get some Gores aswell.

Are passive skillers a waste of space?

Many many many thanks guys :thumbsup:

9. CableDayspring

CableDayspring IncGamers Member

I chose to go with a Nef rune with 1 Shael to get knockback. I used to run 2X Shael but now I won't go back because the knockback is such a great addition.

But that isn't going to help you much against the bosses. I would try your luck at running the level 85 areas, Pit, Ancient Tunnels, etc. Boss killing isn't what the strafer does really well.

*cabledayspring

10. patonis

patonis IncGamers Member

1. The most important thing: Your level(=merc level = valk level) compared to the boss level is important. Ive noticed that merc and valk stay better alive if you make at least level 90-93.
    2. My merc,valk rarely die at level 92. Diablo(single game) dies real quick, just cast valk/decoy near him and use strafe on him. Baal takes quite long, cause he has alot more hp.
    3. I planned on using WWS too for strafe, but on hell ive noticed that WWS doesnt do enough damage for me. Atmas amplify damage triggers alot more often. I tested WWS, GSA and Lycanders Aim. GSA is slow and doesnt have anything useful besides damage against demons and undead. My setup until i trade or find myself a WF is: upped Lycanders Aim and in second slow i use Matriarch Bow +3Bowskills with Harmony runeword for killing PIs and such. I like this setup alot, cause Harmony lets you run alot quicker due to vigor and Lycanders is nice.
    4. My Merc uses eth duriel, Tal mask and reapers toll. I know the 2 curses overlay eachother, but decrepify is great on bosses and it lets the merc survive alot better and i have always a curse running. I might switch to obedience polearm in the future.

This setup works nice for CS, pits, WSK and i use my strafzon also for running Nilhathak(dest keys), which she can do quite quickly.

11. jag

jag IncGamers Member

i meant put the guilliames on yourself just for the bosses. Tranfering cb with a bow sucks but it works. CB from a a bow is 1/6th of the total CB percentage -- meaning if you have 60% CB on -- Bow will only get 10% CB effect... Of course a fast strafe may help but its no where near as effective as a direct striker

12. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

The reason baal takes a long time to die because he has 50% resist phyiscal and a high blocking rate. 55% I think, that is like less than half your arrows hitting all the time.

Your merc will need a weapon that has crushing blow to take him out while you need some poison or whatever to stop baal from regen, that should make the job easier.

Some people use dracs on strafers when running bosses with mercs since LT makes the merc live longer therefore making your job easier, also dracs has open wounds but as for using dracs that is your call.

13. jag

jag IncGamers Member

Another thing too is that chance to hit diablo/baal improves as you level. Need to get into high 80's usually just to have a decent chance to hit them. I would try to have dracs on til about lvl 85 or so for safety-- then probably want to take advantage of amping after that for speed.