Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WWS Strafer Gear adivce

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Bornaloserbaby, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Bornaloserbaby

Bornaloserbaby IncGamers Member

WWS Strafer Gear adivce

Hi I need some item advice for my WWS strafeazon

Items atm

WWS Shael Shael
    Cats Eye
    Lava Gout
    Ravens xs2
    WTs
    StealSkull socketed w/ 15IAS jwl
    Treachery

Since I no longer need the shaels in the WWS to make the bp I want what should i socket the WWS with? I have some ED jwls. But what would be the perfect runes or jwls to use? Also could I afford to loose a ravenfrost and if so what would be the best ring to use instead?

Also my merc isnt doing too well atm. He uses ETH bonehew AMNAMN Crown Of thieves and Upped Duriels(15IAS jwl)

Whats the best set up for him?
    I've heard ppl using Pride wpn but I wasnt sure if its not so good dmg would make him do enough to dmg to leach and stay alive.
    Can I have the elite items suggestions and the cheap one as well please.

My char is currently level ** and I play in mose acts

2. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Perfect jewels would be 40%ed/15max, but I wouldn't waste those on a WWS. You have no knockback from the rest of your gear, so I'd probably stick a Nef rune in there first. Besides that, if you'd like a bit more life leech you could stick an Amn rune in there. You can always go with the damage jewels you've got laying around.

Switch those Lava Gouts for Laying of Hands.

Ravenfrost is tough to beat. I'd say stick with 'em unless you have a godly rare (ar/dex/res/etc.).

I'd probably stay away from 'Pride' since it's pretty expensive and won't help your Merc survive any better, just increase your own damage.

3. jag

jag IncGamers Member

Hmm lava gouts awfully nice -- ias, bit of fire damage and ENCHANT!!! The enchant on my strafer is 4k ar boost. I switched to gouts from LoH and found gouts much more useful.

Nef in the bow seems almost required since yo dont have kb from anything else.

4. Bornaloserbaby

I've found enchant to work a bit better in general aswell.
    So I'm going to socket the wws with a nef and a 39%ED Jwl

But what about my merc?

I was thinking Andys Face (ral)
    Duriels Upped (15IAS)
    Doom ( If i can afford it)
    2 Sock tomb Reaver (AMN AMN) If i cant afford doom

5. avm

avm IncGamers Member

I was under the impression that a WWS is the poor man's strafe weapon... so I find it a little odd that things like Doom and Pride figure in the equipment of your merc. I guess you're just using the WWS for style? :)

But anyway, Nef sounds like a good idea. Aside from that pretty much anything... or you could Shael Nef it and unsocket the 15 ias jewel and put in something more useful there.

6. jag

jag IncGamers Member

WWS may seem like a cheap bow -- but that thing has some mods that are just nuts -

Chance to cast amp (frees up ammy from atmas)
    chance for deadly strike (no need for highlords, gores or points in critical strike)
    fires magic arrow lvl 20 (again saves hard points - and with ctc amp slices thru phys immunes)
    faster than windforce and bows that faith is usually made in
    40 all res -- bowazons dream
    2 sockets to play with (generally nef/shael or ias-ed jewel)

Being faster than most bows - frees up alot of gear for other things.

If a strafer build -- can easily max strafe and penetrate and be basically done with offensive points (using razortail for added pierce)

Imagine all the points left over being used for d/a/e? maxing multi? adding 20 points to lightning fury on switch? name your customization here.....

The more i talk about this -- the more i wanna rebuild my strafer on this bow LOL

7. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Member

Here is my WWS setup, pimp-style:
    WWS 170ed 2x 40ed/15max, upped ofc
    Fortitude 15ed Dusk
    Giantskull 1x 35ed/15ias, 1x 40ed/15IAS
    Cats
    Razortail
    Ravenfrost 20dex
    Rare Dual Leech
    Wartravelers
    LoH
    Anni
    Torch
    4x 10max/ar/7frw
    2x 13max

Merc:
    Faith 15ed Great Bow
    eForti
    eAndy

Its fun:)

8. CoRRuPt-OnE

CoRRuPt-OnE IncGamers Member

Switch out the lava gouts for Loh and if u want the enchant use a Hel'd demon limb.

9. avm

avm IncGamers Member

Yeah, it's a great bow, and as a matter of fact I'm currently in the process of making a WWS strafer/FA zon. But I imagine if you simply swapped it out for a faith, you'd get considerably more damage. The resists are about the only thing you'd *really* miss... For PI's you could get an atma's or as I'm planning, a bit off the beaten path, and act 3 cold merc with a lawbringer. Would work quite nicely since most PI's are also undead. And the a3 merc should actually survive chaos, or so I hope :smiley:

Most of the point savings don't really come from the WWS - it's using razortail to keep from pumping pierce too much, and the fact that strafe doesn't have a synergy.

Personally, I'll use the WWS for a while, but ultimately will probably move on to either Faith or Ice. I can afford only 1 of the two, but it would sure be nice to have Ice for FA and Faith on switch for strafing...

Anyway, sorry to sort of hijack the thread :rolleyes:

10. Arkazon

Arkazon IncGamers Member

In reference to you, the Nef and +39% ED jewel sound as good as it gets, discounting the duped jewels available.

I have some questions:

What level is your mercenary and what level are you? Where are you fighting (act and difficulty)? What type of mercenary is he?

You say he's not doing well; I've found that the Holy Freeze mercenaries outshine the Might ones by far: Might hardly did squat for a bowazon I made, fully decked-out with Windforce and all. The slow effect from the Holy Freeze aided her and her mercenary immensely--the two of you will get hit less often, allowing you to dish out more hits against the enemy. However, if you choose to equip him with a 'Doom', get a different aura such as Might, as previously mentioned, or Blessed Aim if you're still having attack rating problems after Enchant (assuming you're still using Lava Gout).

Andariel's Visage (Ral) and Duriel's Shell is a good setup for him. Another option is Vampire Gaze if damage reduction is desired. Bonehew and Tomb Reaver are really good weapons for the desert mercenaries because you can slap Amns into them. Other weapons to consider are 'Breath of the Dying' and 'Doom' (as you mentioned) for the rich, or 'Obedience' for the not-so-rich.

I advise against equipping your mercenary with 'Pride' because the Hit Blinds Target mod will override the Amplify Damage from your Witchwild String--not good, especially against ITP's whose immunity would be broken by Amplify Damage. I remember testing 'Pride' out. I came upon either some Hell Temptresses or Stygian Furies once and my amazon's mercenary kept overriding the Amplify Damage from her Atma's Scarab. It was so annoying that I unequipped his weapon and threw it on the ground and was finally able to kill the monsters in peace--+100% enhanced damage peace, that is :cool: .

11. Bornaloserbaby

both level ** and I usually join games with 1-5 ppl in and try to run the pitts andy ancient tunnels , River of flame , Chaos sanctually (not diablo). I have the good ole might merc.
    OK
    I think I have a 15IAS/19%ED jwl somewhere. So Nef and this jwl in the WWS.
    This frees up a socket in the StealSkull for an Um or something else.
    Swapping lava gouts for Laying O Hands and getting a Hel'd Demon Limb for enchant.

I think I might have to change the merc to a Holy Freezer. And I'll probably stick with the Duriels shell and Tomb Reaver (AmnAmn). I'll try guilliams and gaze to see which floats his boat.

Ok great thanks for the imput fellas I'll let you know how I get on

12. CoRRuPt-OnE

nef is really not needed. if you have enough ias i would just put a +ed jewel in it. With holy freeze and enchant you will be slowing + killing monsters really fast and the knockback will be really useless. But if you really want to be safe go for it.

13. Bornaloserbaby

Thanks for the advice Corrupt. I decided not to go for the Nef. Was thinking of putting one in a Tomb reaver for my merc instead.

I went with the ED jwls. Kinda dissapointed in the the damage increase but oh well I'm sure with CS amp and so on it all adds up.

I'm still in search of a decent andys face since Gaze and Guilliams arent keeping him alive. I think when were level 90 or so Guilliams could be a choice.

14. jag

jag IncGamers Member

For chaos I would suggest the nef -- since its likely that the merc wont be around as much due to the IM. Knockback is your best friend when you merc is dead

Anywhere else its not needed since the holyfreeze will be active more often than not.

15. CoRRuPt-OnE

Valk + Decoy + Merc + Holy freeze should be enough, i've never had to use nef before. If you want to increase kill speed use an atmas scarab in the Chaos. However, since you used Ed jewels instead of shaels i'm not sure if you're ias will be up to par.

16. Bornaloserbaby

For the chaos sanctuary I can get away with Using Atmas if I use a Andys face with 15ias jwl. Do Ias JWLS spawn with +Fire res?

17. Arkazon

Arkazon IncGamers Member

Yes. I think what you'd want is a Ruby Jewel of Fervor (+16-30% fire resistance/15% increased attack speed); if you can't get a perfect one, then I'd go with Vampire Gaze as it offers basically the same key mods as Andariel's Visage. Stick an IAS jewel in that. This is all assuming the -30% fire resistance actually hurts you; if not, then by all means use the Visage.