Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WW vs Frenzy

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Windu102, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Windu102

Windu102 IncGamers Member

WW vs Frenzy

In terms of kill rate / survivability / fun / soloability in hell / damage etc..

Is it the WW or the Frenzy barb that gets your vote...

2. arbing

arbing IncGamers Member

both are great skill for pvm and both can solo pretty well if you got decent equipment, but imo i think frenzy is more fun tho......... because you get to see yourself speeding up as you kill things :D

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

frenzy has better survivability IMHO, it's more fun, and you can mix auras and do alot of damage fast while casting amp dmg/life tap/static field etc.

4. Paulsummoner

Paulsummoner Banned

Well, I think frenzy is more fun, but WW is more effective, for PVM, but for PVP of course frenzy is not even a match for WW.

5. Taz

Taz IncGamers Member

I haven`t played a pvm frenzy-er tuned for best performance, however this ladder i`ve made a pvm ww-er purely designed to make the most of it in pvm. It`s a long time since i haven`t made such a char (no mf/no pvp but purely pvm) and i`m really enjoing how he rips through things. He is a killing machine comparable with ANY other char in killrate over time. His dmg with might merc and venom on from grief is 9k/5k (grief/beast). This, along with the trio (DS, CB, OW) that makes the "salt and pepper" of the melee class make him comparable with any other char. He has: 68/52% DS, 25/45% CB, 10/35% OW and as soon as i`ll get my hands on an anni i`ll replace the Arreat for Guillaume`s Face.
    So far i`d say a ww-er has an edge over a similar frenzy-er in killrate, but, as i`ve said i`ve never played a high end frenzy-er, and my guess is the gap may be closed by ctc things that work with frenzy.

6. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

You are correct. Static field + crushing blow in particular is a punishing combination.

Whirlwind can be very effective with the right gear, but Frenzy has a lot more flexibility. All sorts of interesting combinations of weapons and effects are possible. I'd say pure killing speed is a bit of a toss up between the two attacks, but I'd give Frenzy the survivability nod simply because it works so well with Warcry.

Of course, the *real* reason I vote for Frenzy is simply to satisfy my inner speed junkie. Ripping around the map at hyperspeed, cutting down enemies with flurries of ultrafast strikes... damn, that's entertainment! ;)

7. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Frenzy+lifetap=immortality

8. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

WW is more effective, but frenzy is mad fun. I'd reccomend making a Frenzy barb, it's just too fun. Its like giving your barb an injection of Speed in the middle of a fight :thumbsup:

9. NefariousNothing

NefariousNothing IncGamers Member

I'm not sure I'd say WW is more effective, but it -can- be fun..

But, nowhere near as much fun as ripping around with Frenzy. Especially if you've got an A1 merc with Harmony on. :thumbsup:

10. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Whirlwind is obscenly more equipment/weapon dependent than frenzy due to the pathetic damage bonus of whirlwind and its heavy dependance on leech+weapon IAS.

11. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

Both WW and Frenzy builds have their advantages and disadvantages imo!

Frezy barb is fun! But when using normal elite items (superior even worse) when making RW such as Beast, Grief and Doom (Berzerker axes) i cursed that build cause of the weapon repair costs! After 1,5 - 2 baalruns I have to repair my wepons which costs me around 1 milion gold. :mad: Sure u can run around with orts in your stash to repair the weapons...or gather items sell them for gold and repair your items = TIME CONSUMING...But as long as the weapons have durability is sure fun! :D

I seems like i have to try uther builds with weapons that dont loose durability. I see here there are some choices:

1 - Dual EBOTD CB
    2 - Dual EBOTD BA
    3 - Dual GRIEF PB (high dex reqs)

I have no idea if other runewords such as Death and Oath might be other choices as well. But if u want High End items and no repair costs the abocve 3 choices are not so bad imo... :D

/Dec

12. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Its better to mix weapons imo, so you can benefit from different bonuses/auras or whatever.
    Frenzy is much funnier than ww, but trickier to play too. A good frenzybarb needs to take good use of the warcry tree too, compared to a ww-barb that just holds down the mousebutton and whirls all over.

13. Ash Housewares

any kind of phase blade works well
    no durability = happy ash
    (maybe that's why I like Magic Arrow :lol: )

crescent moon phase is pretty handy

14. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

Yeah but you got to have nice on those PB as well! :p

I cant imagine playing with dual lightsabres....thats a Sith weapon or jedi if u prefer the "lighter" side of the force :D

Grief PB, Azurewraths, Crescent moon are all nice...Especially Grief

/Dec

15. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

No comments.

*Goes back to spam OTF into oblivion.*

Rik

16. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

spam in a can...oO;

wichever way you go, my weapon sugestion would be Botd cb + Grief phase.... Venom, - 50% target def, +30 stats, -xx enemy poison resist, deadly strike, huge mana and life leech.... there's just no contest..

17. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

problem with frenzy is that its interruptable. but other than that.. its wayyyyyyyyyy more fun than whirling.

18. Ash Housewares

can't get interrupted if you never get hit :thumbsup:

19. Aucon

Aucon IncGamers Member

I have to agree. I was talking to a co-worker about D2, he about his WW Barb and me about my Frenzy Barb. He was really bragging about his char until I told him my Frenzy (with Arreats, Skulders, GOOD blood gloves, skillers and BC) was 29 he just kind of lost steam. lol

Yes Ash, that is true. You made an excellent guide!

20. skatar

skatar IncGamers Member

I have a L91 barb with an EBOTD 415/15 thundermaul and its not bad
    with ww
    but my other L91 barb on twin EBOTD 411/15 + 414/15 runs on full
    frenzy synergy and sings (no zerk or ww needed)
    I prefer this one better , I was using an archon fort
    (but damn if u run out of rals) , so I got a levi 50/25(shaeled)
    with Pdraculs and Pverdungo , arreats with 40ed/18life , metal grid and a duel
    leech ring with a raven . He's got on no anni or any charms and no merc
    and still runs around while everyone else gets slaughtered by souls
    and frenzytaurs and what not , the only thing I watch out for is Iron Maiden ,
    but twin shaeled azures take care of the undead . The best thing is the speed , u can walk away fast enough not to need a run penalty and get it in the back , or keep up with tele sorcs . Yup I love frenzy :) .