Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WW IK Build questions...

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Xiamet, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

WW IK Build questions...

Ok folks...first, a little background...

I saw a curious barb build the other day while doing Hell Ancients with my sorc. It was just me and this barb, who proceeded to tank 2 of the ancients by himself after I disposed of the 3rd with my pure blizzardess. The last 2 ancients were cold immunes, so I couldn't really assist any further. I thought to static them down, when I saw that their health bars were way low...this barb was knocking the bejeezums out of the last 2 ancients, with nary a scratch on him. He then proceeded to waltz through WSK (gloams and all) and tank Baal's minions all the way through Lister, who he b!tchslapped.

Suffice to say, I was impressed. When I asked him about his build, he stated the following:

WW max
    Conc max
    Ironskin max
    Mastery max
    Nat resist, Shout and BO - rest.

He had on Stone and BoTD Maul (not sure which type..assume thunder?) Was it his gear or his skill arrangement?

Now, I know the standard WW Build is definitely not his build's, and having been so impressed with him, and needing to now make a barb (I have almost the entire IK set), I'm wondering how viable an IK WW Barb is, and should I bother with Conc with a full IK set?

Also, I have Arreat's, Windhammer/IK Maul, Highlord's, Ravenfrost, Dwarfstar, GoreRiders, Shaft, SoE and LoH's. Wondering if maybe that setup would be viable as well...given that I don't yet have the complete IK set?

Lastly...just how neccesary is more than 1 point in a mastery? Seems to me the benefits of maxing it are maybe a waste of points, as past 1 skill point, the increases are yukkaputz. Maybe maxing Conc or ironskin would be better?

Any and all feedback is appreciated..

-X

2. liquidicem

liquidicem IncGamers Member

I have a WW IK barb and I love playing him. He can easliy tank 2 ancients as well, but probably cant kill them as quickly as possible with botd thunder maul. It is very important to max your mastery to achieve the maximum damage. The more damage you do, the more life/mana you leach back. The nice thing about the IK set is that it has decent elemental damage also. I have WW, conc. and mastery maxed. Conc. is very nice when fighting bosses that you can't leach from (Meph). I bet that my skill distribution is pretty close to his, but I cant check now because I'm at work.

3. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

With a conc barb mastery points are needed. You will already be maxing BO and puting points to bash only brings it up by 5% while the lowest mastry will bring you up is 5% but at times higher plus it adds ar.

I would suggest puting the points he had in Iron SKin into shout though cause it actully adds more def.

WW has good use for groups of monsters but you will soon find your self using it more than conc. Its usually better to go one or the other with these two.

IK would be able to hold you through hell. If you find your self having diffuculties with IK the following gear set up should over come it all.

Arreats Face
    2 Barb Valor
    Botd Elite maul
    Highlords
    Vergundos or String
    Ik Gaunts or steelrends
    Bk and raven
    tavs or gores

4. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I'm thinking i want to sacrifice some points from maxing a mastery and save them for pumping Conc along with WW. While a Conc barb is a good solid build, I just can't fathom the idea of going through 5 acts x 3 Difficulties one monster at a time ...Oy!

I tend to favor chars and builds that have both a multi-target killer and a boss killer...like the uber damage that can be had from Concentrate vs single targets, and I'm hearing that Conc is the skill to use vs D Clone? Is this true, or is it Zerk? If it's Zerk, is 1 point + skills enough for D Clone?

Anyways...I'm in the process of figuring out how I want to set my build, and I think I'm going to model it after this particular barb I mentioned, with maybe some slight changes...like pumping Shout vs Ironskin...etc. i'll post what I came up with and see what people think...

-X

5. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

As I've mentioned before, there is no reason to pump both conc and whirlwind, as they do not synergize each other, and you'll likewise find you're using one more than the other; conc likewise does fine with just one point in it, if you max BO (as you should), as the damage will still be almost the same or better than your whirl damage. Mastery is important for both conc AND ww, though moreso for ww since it gets no synergies and its damage is low, and shout is greater than ironskin since it synergizes with BO, BComm, Berserk, and boosts both your own and your merc/party's defense.

Here's an example I rolled up in the loader of a polearm ww barb with 20 ww/mastery/bo/shout, 18 ironskin, 1 nat resist/berserker/bcomm, to give yu some idea of what I mean:

www.unc.edu/~jpurvis/ww.JPG

I'll post one with the IK set in a second so you can see what it's like too.

-Hal

edit: here's the IK set with the same build, with the helm and armor unsocketed, ed/ias jewels in the maul, and the skill set the same as above.

www.unc.edu/~jpurvis/ik.JPG

6. puckalicious

puckalicious IncGamers Member

It would be nice to see a realistic screenshot of those two WITHOUT 39x 3/20/20 charms.

Also, if a BOTD barb has max conc and ww how do you kill PI's? Save 1 point for berserk? IK setup is nice as it doesn't need berserk to wipeout any PI.

7. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Those arn't all 3/20/20, they random roll, making them more realistically obtainable. Not that 3/20/20 is hard to get nowadays anyways. But the point was to show him what kind of ar you could actually get with base dex, so I went all out to show him the high-end. Taking out the x/xx/xx charms only drops around 650ish base ar (780 if they're perfect), so you're not losing much on that. The meat of the ar is coming from angelic and the demon limb.

As for PIs, you only need a point in berserk to take care of them, and as an added bonus Berserk isn't affected by Iron Maiden, while the IK weapon is. It's even better if you have an investment in shout (on average, a point in berserk and max shout will do more damage than your whirl/conc totals, even if they are maxed).

-Hal

8. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Halciet...

Thanks much for the responses and the pics. Can you give me some insight on my questions about dealing with the D-Clone?

Some more questions for ya as well...

You reccomend just 1 point in Conc if I go WW, with maxed Synergies in Shout, BO. Is that enough damage for bosses like Diablo, Duriel and Baal? What about the D-Clone? Or is 1 point in Zerk the better way to go vs Boss types? Or does a WW IK setup just typically WW everything to death?

Also, what would you reccomend for a switch? I was thinking maybe a Nord's/Shield combo on the switch for Zerking, since my def would be shot while Zerking. Any suggestions?

I haven't played a barb since 1.09, so I'm quite new to this char, hence all the questions.

Much obliged if you could answer them for me...as if I go with an IK barb, I'll need to make that heavy investment into the IK Armor, which is about the only piece left I need to complete the set.

thanks,

-X

9. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

For the DClone, my advice rests mainly in the tactics section of my sticky, up top, so you should reference it. While it was written for a conc barb, it pretty much applies to any template in general. Three things to note though: since you're two-handing it, you might wanna use Conc instead of Berserk (i believe it was later found that his physical and magic resistances were equal, so no real penalty there), have some potions (rejuvs off champions and such are best), and get something with Prevent Monster Heal.

As for the conc damage at one point, just look at those pics again. The first damage number is the damage with one point in conc, and as you can see, the damage is already higher than whirlwind. I typically just whirl stuff with my ww barb myself, since I have so much Damage to Mana, but on occasion I'll conc or berseker one (like Diablo).

For the switch, I keep two echoing weapons on all my barbs for the +6 to Bcomm, BO, and Shout. Most 2h berserkers I know just go without a shield, using howl (and taunt if they have it, or some other crowd skill like Grim Ward or Warcry) to do their thing; blocking is nice, but it can get you killed in mobs with berserk, since you have 0 defense and every swing is thus forced to check block, making it easy to get blocklocked and killed. A shield won't do anything without a high dex investment anyways (222 dex at 99 for stormshield, for example), so on a mace build, it's kinda counter-intuitive.

-Hal

10. puckalicious

Ahhh yes I forgot about enchant on demon limb. Amazing how popular this weapon is but nobody actually attacks with it!

11. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

lol, seriously! I just started using it for enchant myself this weak. After using lavagouts for all that time and not getting much off of them, i didn't figure the enchant would be THAT powerful. Lo and behold, lol!

-Hal

12. puckalicious

I just thought of a problem with IK set / demon limb. IK armor gives a 5% chance to cast lvl 5 enchant when struck, wouldn't this wipe out the lvl 23 enchant from demon limb? Just don't get hit, right? :lol:

13. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Ok Hal...I have your guide d'lded and printed...I'll re-read the section on D-Clones and Bosses. Thanks for the insights, again.. :)

And wow...those pics are for 1 point investment in Conc? Hoi Paloi!

Ok...I think my WW Barb's pretty much fleshed out...I'll post it once I've calculated everything and see what you all think. Now I just need to find or trade for an IK armor. Anyone on nl east have a spare? :)

-X

14. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Lol, wow, I never thought people might actually print the guide out. That's a trip, lol!

I feel all special, lol.

-Hal

15. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

Ya, I'm a huge fan of the demon limb. I diden't even know what it was, the first week of 1.10 I did a hell cows run with my zon, and found it. I started keeping it on her weapon switch and using it all the time, on her, my merc, and anyone else in my party. I love it. I've now given it to my IK barb and use it all the time. Not to actually hit things with of course! :)

16. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Halciet

I print out every guide for a char I'm considering developing. Who wants to plop online every time they need to check out something in the guide?

Ok, so you're no that special...well...as special as all the other writers of all the other guides I've d'lded and printed. How's that? :)

-X

17. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

lol, i wasn't looking at it as a personal thing restricted to me, I just hadn't thought that people might be printing it out, lol. It's like stepping up into a new level of nerdom for me, having written something that people use enough that they'd want to print it out, lol

;)

-Hal

18. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Halciet

Don't underestimate yourself...the guide rocks and is definitely worth printing. I read it on train going to the doctor's today, and it gave me a few ideas...though it also gave me a little angst as thought about what items I had in inventory for either a Whirler or a Conc...I'll be making a post about my angsting soon enough...lol. Something else for you to look forward to. :)

I'm really considering your suggestion of a WWer with 1 point in Conc, but I'm kinda tempted by how much more damage a maxed Conc would do. Gear plays a huge factor in that as well...hence the cause of my angst...I'll post what gear I have available and if you can help me make a choice based on comparison, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm on a mac, and there's no real char/item editors available...otherwise I'd test these things myself in single player.

BTW...anyone have a link to the old char files that D2.net had up for beta testing? I need to get the IK Set barb file...

Thanks,

-X

19. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

The old IK barb file had a bit too much str allocated...so I rebuilt it for you. The entire IK set is in the stash, along with two echoing weapons, demon limb, highlord's, BK ring, and a 2xx/20 raven. The character's inventory is full of 39 3/xx/xx charms and a 20/20/10 annihilus. The character is level 99, with no stats or skills placed, so you can test it however you'd like. However, he doesn't have the resist quests done, and likewise doesn't have a merc. I also went ahead and socketed the maul with 2x 40/15 ed/ias jewels so it would hit the last whirl breakpoint, and added a socket to the armor, but there is nothing in it or the helm.

Otherwise, you should have everything you need to test whatever you want for an IK barb.

www.unc.edu/~jpurvis/LoD-Barb.d2s

Enjoy,

-Hal

20. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Hal...wow, thanks a ton....only 1 problem.

it's not downloading...lol.

btw...just found a Demon limb...veddy niiice. Now i'm torn between a Echoinging setup, Nord's or Demon limb for a switch. eeek!

-X