Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WW barb Help!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jrlafrance, May 13, 2005.

1. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

WW barb Help!

I'm cruising through NM, pretty easily I might add, at /p4. Finish off Baal, kill cows (except for the King), then move on to Hell. Man is this slow!! Compared to how fast I've gone through the rest of the game, this is like crawling. ALL monsters are much harder to kill, even Fallen. Anyway, I thought I would post my stats and gear, list a couple of changes I'm thinking of making, then see what you all have to say about it. Here I am:

Wharby
    Whirl Wind Barbarian
    (this build is intended for PvP)

Level - 78

Strength - 120
    Dexterity - 67
    Vitality - 238
    Energy - 10

Battle Orders, Axe Mastery, Whirl Wind - Maxed
    Shout - 13
    Stun - 2 (accidentally put an extra point here)
    Bash, Leap, Leap Attack, Concentrate, Berserk, Increase Stamina, Increase Speed, Iron Skin, Natural Resistance, Howl and Battle Command - 1 point each

Total skill points allocated - 85 (none available)
    Total stat points available - 45

Resistances (I know I need help here, although I'm not sure its necessary):

Poison - (-51)
    Cold - (-54)
    Fire - (-51)
    Lightning - (-25)
    (the numbers may not be exect, but you get the idea! :) )

Current gear:

IK Will - thinking about changing out for Crown of Thieves
    Shaftstop - thinking about changing out for Duriels
    IK Forge - thinking about changing out for Draculs Grasp
    String of Ears
    IK Pillar
    Manald Heal
    Other ring = MF ring, but will changes out for Raven Frost
    Highlord's Wrath

Razor's Edge x2 for weapon (curteousy of Kabal)

Couple of questions:

1. Should I switch out Highlord's with Saracens (24%)?
    2. What exactly is Deadly Strike?
    3. How is Deadly Strike different from Critical Strike?

I just found IK Detail at lunch, so if I equipped that, that would give me 4 IK items? Worth changing out for String of Ears?

Thanks for all your help!

2. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Geez, definately need to raise the resist. DS is same as CS, double your physical damage. However they are mutrally exclusice i.e. you can't have both and have 4x damage.

Don't use dracul's, chance to case dosen't work with whirl. I'd also keep the soe.

The thing with razor's edge is the range is too small (1?), and won't be able to hit anything but those are right next to you.

If you are willing to remake the char, I'll complete the IK set for you, would be much better than those two little axe. :D

3. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Well Axes are the worst weapons for whirler if you are not a crazy bnetter with duped eth BOTD zerkers.
    Axes are generally too slow for hitting the breakpoints and have short radius. Maybe you will be OK with dual Death Cleavers but they are quite hard to find.

4. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Except that no one in their right mind would PvP with an IK set (except Sledge "omfg teh glow"). :p For a PvP whirler, axes are the only real option.

I would definitely switch to a Crown of Thieves and Duriel's or Lionheart ("HelLumFal" in a body armor) to get some resists. Ideally you'd want an Arreat's Face for your helm, but that's quite rare (armor 51, an extremely crowded TC) and a Crown of Thieves is always a solid choice. The short range on the Razor's will hurt your mob killing speed, but it shouldn't affect you too much against single large targets if you keep your whirls short and tight.

5. NSXdreamer

Ah, so he is making a pvper? OMG competition! Please stick to your current gear, it's the best out there, really. :p

6. killian27

killian27 IncGamers Member

How about one point in Battle Cry? I assume it wouldnt help PVP, but it definatly can increase your killing speed PVM, with lowered enemy defense and damage.

Would butchers or upped butchers be better with a reach of 2? I havn't made a WW barb, what is the advantage to dual wielding? Twice as many hits?

7. chicagofan51

chicagofan51 IncGamers Member

It's also worth mentioning that the IAS you get from Highlord's won't help your weapon speed whilst whirling. Only weapon IAS can do that.

I've never had a SoE, but I would go with the IK belt. Has very nice fire/lightning resists, plus it would give your gloves 10% LL (as the 4th item), which IMHO would more than make up for the lesser PDR. Get your hands on the helm or armor (I've been chasing that dream for a looooooong time), and you get your PDR back with the "5 items" bonus.

I have some pretty decent resistance jewelry that has mana leech with it if you are interested, or even better, I have at least one spare rock stopper which has great resists and will replace the PDR from your SoE (love those acronyms- LTA).

Hope this helps, Barbs are my favorite class to play. Was working on a cool Tomb Reaver WW'er when my computer imploded.

Good Luck!

8. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I don't PvP, so this is none of my business. But may I know why? I could think couple of build that pwn any IK barb.

1. bonemancer - decrp + bone prison + CG, IK barb will be pwned.
    2. pure blizzard sorc with max CM - IK barb will be lucky to survive the first hit, and teleport would make WW useless.

9. corax

corax IncGamers Member

he said nobody PvP's with IK set. theres far far better choices out there.
    second. teleport = bannz0red.
    third. decrep & boneprison = banz0red. otherwise everything would be pwnt.

@Jrlafrance: generally speaking the best gear you'll get for your barb will be your PvP gear. so throw that on and try it out. and if you dont have any gear better than what you have you won't be winning any duels.

@NSX: has anybody else seen the other mods draculs has? personally I'd prefer draculs without the lifetap. the other mods are t3h schnizzle.

10. DeathMaster

Thanks dude. I was under wrong impression that he said nobody PvP with IK set because it is too powerful, that other party won't play.

draculs without CtC? Venom grip pwnz it. the only good thing about draculs is the CtC. In fact, I think Venom pwnz draculs even take the CtC into account.

11. NSXdreamer

I didn't see the part about the char is for pvp at first. :uhhuh: For pvp yeah dracul's quite nice.

12. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Drac's are the best gloves for a ww barb 99.999999% of the time for the OW. Lifetap is banned for PvP, but whirlwind won't trigger CtC so that's not a problem.

There are only 2 cases in which I would wear another pair of gloves:
    1) I need to stack resists or PLR, in which case I use rares or Death's Hand.
    2) I'm very close to one-hit killing someone, and just a little bit more damage would do the trick. In this case I wear Steelrends for the %ED and boost to strength.

13. DeathMaster

I was more in PvM rather than PvP. CB > OW, plus more OW is not required in PvM, Gore rider is enough. the resist on Venom is nice too. almost all other mods on Venom pwnz.

14. Masas

Masas IncGamers Member

Venom Grip is Crafted Blood Gloves, just with extra +5% Maximum Poison Resist, which does nothing in this case. My advice for gloves would be Crafted Blood Gloves, because jrlafrances budget seems to be a bit limited (no offense about me saying this).

15. Sledge

Sledge IncGamers Member

i remember killing someone... once... :lol:
    *goes hunting for the bers and 40/15s to making ik set viable pvp* :D

16. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

@lemming- I zerk all the time with Drac's, since duel's usually over once I land 1 or 2 zerks the CtC usually isn't a problem. If it does happen to cast lifetap, I just use zerk until the lifetap wears off or the duel's over (can't leech with zerk so it's not an issue).

@Deathmaster- If we're talking PvM, there are lots of gloves that are superior to Venom Grip. Steelrend has twice the CB and a good strength/ED bonus, LoH has massive +dmg to demons, Soul Drainers have dual leech, IK gloves have strength/dex bonuses, Bloodfists have FHR and life, etc.

@Sledge- They were probably distracted by your naked, glowing barb and didn't see you coming. And the best way to make the IK set viable for PvP is to trade it for some better gear. :D

17. jrlafrance

I changed out a bunch of stuff, and things seemed to go well, I made it through Act 1 fairly easily. Then on to Act 2. Here is where my nightmare started. One of the changes I made was to put on Duriels Shell. Posted it here . I'm currently ready to go into the Viper Temple, and the durability is all the way down to 7!! :mad: In about half an act to lose all that durability?! Does this seem normal? I'm pretty dissapointed that the durability ran out soo fast. Now I need to figure out what to do for a replacement. Anyone have this happen to them?

18. NSXdreamer

Sounds about right, since ethrealness cuts 50% of duribility. It did go down a bit fast, but you have no blocking.

19. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

IIRC if you ''name'' or ''socket'' your armor it should regain it's durability. So if you're with 1 left, that should do the trick and buy you time.

Hm.. something tells me I should finish my wirler to show kabby that axes aren't the only option :D

20. jrlafrance

So etherealness, increases defense / damage (depending on the item), but decreases durability? Is it fairly common to find socketed Duriels Shell?