Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WW Assassin help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ojimijam, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Ojimijam

Ojimijam IncGamers Member

WW Assassin help

Hi there, i am in the process of making a whirlwind assassin and have been advised to seek the help of the ever knowledgable SPF. I want him to be fun and powerful PvM and at least viable PvP (i dont mind a bit of respreccing to make this possible).

First off the inspiration/guides im working off most:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4744489&postcount=1
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2723524&postcount=1

As well as various other ghost/WWsin guides and pat/mat threads. Obviously the main thing i am lacking from a normal ghost build is enigma.

Here is the proposed build, with rationale underneath. Feel free to critique my choices and reasoning, this is the point of the thread.

Skills:

MA: 13-17

Dragon Talon: 13-14 (18)
    Dragon flight: Ideally from claws

Shadow: 67

CM: 20
    Fade: 20
    Venom: 20
    All others: 1

Traps: 9
    WoF: 1
    BS: 1 (hopefully from gear)
    DS: 1 (maybe from gear)
    Pre-reqs: 6 (hopefully less)

Spare points pumped into MB and SM i guess(maybe help here, should i go for more Dtalon? i read 4 kicks was plenty)

Gear:

Helm: Guillames face (um) / Assassin circlet (for PvP)
    Armour: Natalyas shadow (sockets undecided)
    Weapon1: Chaos runic talons/feral claws with useful staffmods
    Weapon2: Upped Bartucs/Jade talon with IAS jewel
    Gloves: TRangs
    Boots: Shadow Dancer
    Rings: Ravenfrost + BKWB / Rare
    Ammy: Mara's / Highlords / Rare

Switch: Shadow Prebuff / CTA

Inventory:

Shadow GCs plus life SCs etc

PvM
    Lots of venom damage applied via whirlwind and blade shield, with CoS MB and SM as crowd control. Death sentry blows stuff up. DF as pseudo teleport.

PvP
    WoF and MB for stun. DF in with SM minion stack. Kick/whirl to death with venom and open wounds. If left on low health then MB to death.

So what do you guys think, is it viable? Or should i just focus on getting an enigma and making a full ghost-sin.

Thanks for any input you might have

2. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Re: WW Assassin help

What you're building appears to be a Speerderlander assassin. If you haven't checked it out already, the guide in the assassin forum should be of some use.

Since you aren't going to be teleporting around, I would recommend you simply play a WW/Trap assassin. A Ghost will want/need the mobility offered by Teleport, although that can be alleviated to a certain extent with charges from a circlet or amulet. Additionally, if you do indeed choose to play a Ghost, you'll want 20 in Mind Blast.

Dragon Flight is rather unreliable, and it's a in-but-not-out kind of deal, so be careful when you use it. Aside from that, you'll want a bit more FCR. Even if you aren't teleporting, you want to keep things such as Mind Blast reasonably speedy.

Good luck.

3. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I would recommend posting in the assassin forums to get detailed input. I honestly wasn't impressed with WW dmg on a sin,although I do like the mechanic a lot more on a sin than a barb. Venom is far more useful in pvp than pvm. Like mentioned above, df is anything but reliable - its more for fun than anything else. A true ghost is a lot of fun for pvp - but in pvm she paled in comparison to other builds. I would strongly suggest you keep pvm/pvp characters separate because of the inventory space and gear swaps. With that said, I would recommend a kick/trap variation for pvm after experience with multiple builds.

4. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

WW in pvp is usually a very bad idea. Repair costs on high + skills gets expensive.

I would recommend just making a Ghost. They can kill in pvm, but WW sins won't have high CB anyway, so aren't going to be very powerful. It'd be slow, but doable.

Even with kicks, it'd take a big swap, which can be done on a Ghost with pvm in stash. Even this won't be as effective as one made for it, but adding kicks will be effective in pvm. They won't be very effective on a WW oriented build; they usually want the stationary dclaw or normal attack as their secondary melee.

5. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

For PvM part: Ghosts are terrible PvM characters. Either do kicker or trapper for PvM and then when you want, respec her for PvP. There aren't many builds that are suited for PvP and PvM alike.

For PvP: You should set your goals. My would be 65fcr, 48fhr, 75 fire and light resistance after Anya bug (or atleast gear swap for meeting resists). Cold are usually crazy sorceress that break your CR to -250 and they are pointless to stack unless you want to cripple your build badly. Poison is same with poison necros - you don't need stack and you probably won't be able to stack 110 PR.

Second part would be about your gear. Nat's shadow is crap. Very simple. You don't want it at all. It takes ton of str to use, it slows your movement speed because it's heavy armor. My no1 option for armor would be Skin of the Vipermagi socketed with Um rune. 1 skills (boost your BO) 30fcr (nearly half fcr you need) and great ~50 allresist. Can't be matched in my book. It's light type and looks cool on assassins :)
    Other fcr can be attained with 20 from arach, 20 trangs and 30 Viper - you're set) Helm can be Shako (Shael/IAS jool depending on your breakpoints) - it's hardly beaten and it will give you 10% DR with boost to BO and nice mana/life. Perhaps you won't need max fade for % DR with this. Amulet can be Mara's sin ce you aren't dependant on fcr from this slot, and it will help your resistances and BO lvl.
    Ring can be both Ravens since 40% cold sorb will help vs cold dmg dealers, and it will save you some points in dex for your claw. They will help your AR nicely.

Claws are slightly more complicated.
    First I would advise against elite claw types. Compare RT and GT. 22 - 44 RT dmg (34avg) and 21 - 35 GT (28 avg)
    Perfect Chaos RT dmg = 97 - 193 (145 avg) x (2.00 (200str) + 1.91 (lvl40claw mastery)) = 556 dmg
    Perfect Chaos GT dmg = 92 - 154 (123 avg) x (2.00 (200str) + 1.91 (lvl40claw mastery)) = 480 dmg
    Total difference in 78 dmg. Now add pvp penality (17% dmg) and you get 13 physical dmg difference per hit check. Add 50% dr and 75% maxblock and you get the picture :)
    I would go for GT because it has sooo much lower req (79/79 vs 115/115) You will save some stats (atleast on dex if you are going dancer's route) and thus, have more life.
    Your dmg will come from venom and OW, not physical dmg. I would ditch Jade/Bartucs because they are useless. 50allress from Viper, 70from fade, 30 from Mara's + charms will fix resistances.
    You can also throw Um in Shako if you aren't pressed for fhr or IAS.
    Get some OW claw as primary, on budget Malice (100% OW) sounds like good idea, plus you can chose your own stafmods. Now, I'm not expert on clawtypes and those things but sass might help you how to combine Malice with Chaos and have max trap laying speed and Malice as primary claw for OW after DF.
    With that you could play nice game - DF your opponent, poison and OW takes place then WW/move away, or simply let him flee. If they decide to come after you, MB, trap stun and WW.

I don't have much experience with kicks so I can't be helpful here. Only time I can see kicks useful is on chainlocking, and even then I wouldn't go for kicks. I would use normal attack instead. If you decide not to go with kicks (for PvP) then I suggest to go for more Mindblast.

Total setup:
    Helm: Shako (Um) (0 fcr/0 fhr /15allresist)
    Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope (0 fcr/0 fhr /45allresist)
    Armor: Skin of Vipermagi (Um) (30 fcr/0 fhr /95allresist)
    Caws: Malice + Chaos (with max traping speed, dunno for bases) (30 fcr/0 fhr /95allresist)
    Rings: 2 x 20 dex RF
    Belt: Arach (50 fcr/0 fhr /95allresist)
    Gloves: Trangs (70 fcr/0 fhr /95allresist)
    Boots: Shadow Dancer (70 fcr/30 fhr /95allresist)

CtA/Spirit shield

72 Allresist from fade and Shadow skiller/12 fhr (I know there are 3 of those floating around in trade pool) with one 5fhr/fire ress sc and one 5fhr/lite ress fix your goals. 10% dr from Shako and lvl 41 fade (assuming you use 10 x Shadow skillers total) give you 50% dr. One point in Claw block gives you 57% chance to block (put one more point here for lvl 21 and 58%)

If you have any more questions just ask.

6. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Have a read of Pris, it may help you.

Malice needs 45IAS to hit 9FPA Trap laying. This isn't easy with no IAS on the claw (It's even more difficult if you use Enigma). Let's say 15IAS on the helm, 15 in the armour and 20 from the amulet - Highlord's or The Cat's Eye. Beyond that is going to take Weapon Speed bugging.

If you want to go a more pure WW route (and not use traps) I would consider using Kira's Guardian and Burst of Speed. This will solve your FRW and IAS problems.

7. Ojimijam

Ojimijam IncGamers Member

An updated plan, following mainly Maxi's Pris build and everyones advice going as a WW/Trap hybrid without enigma.

MA: 0-4

Dragon flight: Ideally from claws, if not Pre-reqs

Shadow: 30-35

Venom: 20
    Fade: Some (ideally to reach 50% DR)
    All others: 1

Traps: Rest
    WoF: 1
    SWS: Spare
    CBS: 20
    LS: 20
    DS: 20
    BS: 1 (hopefully from gear)

Gear:

Helm: Shako/CoA/Circlet
    Armour: Vipermagi
    Weapon1: Chaos runic talons/feral claws with useful staffmods
    Weapon2: Rare trapper claw (runics)
    Gloves: Trangs
    Boots: Shadow Dancer
    Belt: Arachnid mesh
    Rings: Ravenfrost + BKWB / Rare
    Ammy: Mara's / Highlords / Rare

Switch: Shadow Prebuff / CTA

Inventory:

Shadow GCs plus life SCs etc

Looking at weapon speed and breakpoints etc if i go runic/runic (with 35IAS on mainhand chaos) i need 15% IAS jewel somewhere, if i go with feral/runics then i need 20% where i would be best with highlords rather than 2 jewels? Or i could shop for some godly blue fools of quickness + staffmods and socket that with um + IAS and use that as my main claw. or alternatively to i settle for 10fpa trap speed?

EDIT: This is purely for PvP set up, when im PvM i plan to mess around a little bit more with some gear to try it out and then respec to optimise her for PvP gear.