Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

ww and freeze

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Diqit, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Diqit

Diqit IncGamers Member

ww and freeze

Things which slow your attack such as decrefy or freeze does they really lower your ww fpa? I have feelings that they doesn't affect and your attack speed is same, just movement is slower. In other words being frozen is even good thing? cause you move slower while in ww, but attack speed remains same and therefore you hit more per certain area. hmm what you think or know

2. xxxkillerxxx

xxxkillerxxx IncGamers Member

Re: ww and freeze

You're right. Good or bad is situational and subjective, personally I hate being slow in all circumstances.

3. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Attack speed affects Whirlwind, it just has different breakpoints than other skills. Because IAS affects it, even if just on-weapon, it would slow your attack speed if it pushes you below a BP, which it almost always does.

4. xxxkillerxxx

You have no clue sorry. Search some old threads for correct info.

5. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

I'll try to be all nice-like (again):

1. Since IAS affects attack speed, and attack speed is slowed by all forms of slowing, what would make Whirlwind immune to game physics and give it an immunity that would clearly make a skill that's already the top Barbarian dueling choice overpowered?

2. Having no clue suggests that I don't understand how the game works, and I'm to take it that all those times I'm slowed by Holy Freeze while using other attacks were imaginary or that the above question needs answering instead of insults or vagueness?

3. Why would I search old threads when, in all the times I've read about Whirlwind, in stickies and otherwise, I've never once come across that information, yet - when I post a thread to collect such completely contradicting knowledge that this game's official site doesn't even contain - no one bothers to reply, even about something as simple as Bash? (That, and it's not my thread. Why not just say that to the mod unless you're looking for something?)

Really, I've looked back an entire year and a half once for information concerning one piece of knowledge about a single skill and couldn't find squat, but when I start trying to collect it and practically no one helps (present company included), this is what I get. It'd be better just to type "Wrong." for future reference, don't feel compelled to go any further. If someone else does, though, when giving information about a skill, list all the abnormal effects, like 'Whirlwind doesn't: trigger attacker hitpowers, allow inventory items used during attack, etc.' and maybe we can avoid something like this from happening (again).

6. jaxz

jaxz IncGamers Member

Ax2Gring, this is the first time hearing ww is affected by external ias. There are d2 de-engineers named hammerman, and the contributor to D2 ias german calculator, states it is not.

As a bvb, being frozen is good. Being frozen decrease your movement speed, thus allowing you to stay in that spot longer in the every fourth frame hitcheck calculation, resulting in hitting the target more as he approaches and leaves. The author is right here on his assumption.

However for bvc, being frozen is not a good idea. Most targets for example es sorcs can tank a bvcs like no tomorrow, moving slowly as you increase your hitcheck on her on the spot doesn't help. However if you whirl quickly from left to right, or whirl quickly around her doing a dod, it will cause the caster to keep turning her/his body chasing and shooting spirits after you and keep missing as you move along. I have seen necs' spears, druids' nados keeps casting behind the barb as he tri-ww. You need to move fast.

7. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Ignore the trolls Ax2Grind, they cannot be changed to be helpful.

The WW attack speed is indeed not affected by slowing effects. The short explanation is that slow effects are basically negative EIAS, but WW attack speed breakpoints are not affected by EIAS (for the same reason off-weapon IAS does not affect it either).

8. xxxkillerxxx

Huh lol? I confirmed the thread authors thoughts which you completely ignored when you posted a bunch of contradicting randomness. Truth can never be insulting but posting advice when you clearly have no clue is unbelievably rude if you ask me.

9. mainaman

mainaman IncGamers Member

correct ww speed is unaffected by slow. your frw speed is , to more they slow you down the longer you will be in range, but also the longer you will be in their range, thats why as killer said its a bad thing to be slowed down.

10. Diqit

Diqit IncGamers Member

ty for input

Hmm. Does that also mean that druid's skill fury is unaffected by slow effects?

11. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Not unaffected. Wereform speeds still count partially on EIAS, but especially Werewolves can counter a lot of the slow with the Werewolf skill. A Furywolf with a high level WW and a Grief PB wouldn't be slowed down in his attack speed by Decrepify alone for example. He would be slowed down with Decrep + HF though.

12. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Since you keep the same fpa when slowed, you will only be more mana efficient but not deal directly more damage/second, at least if we neglect the time you spend from the moment you finish one whirl to the moment you start the other (and the significance of that factor depends on the size of the pack, your latency and whatever).

13. accipite

accipite IncGamers Member

WW might be the only skill which affected by WIAS(Weapon base speed + Weapon IAS) only. that means it cant be speed up or be slow down by anything else besides WIAS. for example, fana aura, werewolf, frenzy, Decrepify, Holy freeze.