Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WTF with all the lag spikes tonite?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Fearlessone, May 20, 2005.

1. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

WTF with all the lag spikes tonite?

Many of the classic games on USWest were seriously disrupted tonite, and really just unplayable. Two or three ppl would die with each spike of 10-20 seconds, the game continues while ur screen is frozen. What really bugs me is that when I asked if this was happening to everyone, some smart alec would tell me it's my connection, and then someone else would break in and say, "No, i got DSL and 3-4 ppl are yelling lag and all these ppl die all at once". It was really annoying, I went to chat rooms to ask around and couldnt get any answer, between the adbots and the all-important StarWars blab.

But it seems game specific, which has happened before, some games are OK. A rumour is that bliz is checking for mh users, but its more probable that some hacker is lagging things. Could it be some server between blizzards game and us, affecting most ppl but not all?? If u are hardcore, u can just exit real quick.

2. General_Hummel

General_Hummel IncGamers Member

i also felt intermittent lag spike tonight.

it often happens when new dupe method appear or somethin cheat is goin on.
    i came back to classic when season2 began cuz too many dupe and hack
    in LoD :( , and i have been feeling very glad that no duped stuffs exist so far
    in classic :) .
    hope we continue no dupe in classic.

we have better just take a break whenever feel such too many lag spike.

3. Hector

Hector IncGamers Member

Yes.

I had some lag spikes too, all stopped and after a few seconds many players were dead. I'm glad I don't play HC.

I also got a Realm Down once...

4. Fearlessone

Problem continues here on classic...

Well, it's STILL seriously affecting our realm, even late at nite and nearly every day. Could it be all the little kiddies off from school?? I suspect someone that just got back is hacking in pvp games...and the whole of a realm suffers cuz of one jerk.

I searched over at the hardcore forum, and I didnt see any alerts over there. Is it just classic or USWest and late at nite? Everyone has to either exit or risk dying with these 10-20 second long spikes. It's really annoying that blizzards game computers are going full blast while some connection to their system refuses to let us see what is going on. Oddly, like I said before, u can always exit AND U IMMEDIATELY EXIT GAME, NO LAG. And it seems to happen only to certain games, like they are cursed with repeated lag spikes.

This is very similar to the '2x-speed' games or 'tele' games from 3 years ago. In those games, you moved at regular speed, but the monsters moved at 2x their regular speed. These were amazingly dangerous games. Aggressive sorcies would move boldly up the river and run into a pack. You wouldnt know which games were '2x-spd' games until u played it. Then they would spawn some xtra fast, bad mob, with an add'l '2x-spd' ability, and come panicking back to the waypt, bringing the mob and what a mess!! We called them 'tele' games cuz the monsters all looked like they had the ability to teleport to us constantly.

5. sardoniclysane

sardoniclysane Banned

Lag spikes have been bad recently on us east classic ladder as well. I doubt though it's the hacking. Probably just bnet doing some maintenance (what little they do anymore for us...) on the servers.

They did recently start sending out that new extra work 86 .dll file. It may have something to deal with that.

6. Fearlessone

Thx for the lead...

What's an 86 .dll file? I searched for it, couldnt find anything about it...

Edit: Oh, ok, I thought it like .dii or .dII. So a search for .d'small letter l''small letter l' came up with several dozen posts in the past few months. It stands for dynamic link library file. The search engine here says that '86' is too common to include and I can't seem to include logical operators to narrow it down. These files are used for running more than one game per computer, with several cd-keys. It's used for muleing, especially in single player, and in rushes, AND (this is especially relevant to classic) to include more chars in the game for experience. I see many high lvl chars doing this lately, but the games I play with them dont seem to have these lag spikes.

So then, what is a "new extra work 86" .dll file? Is it possible it includes trojans and weird hacks that might be interfering with our game?

7. Fearlessone

My internet went down before I could read all the posts about this kind of file from my search (2 dozen threads, some with 50-90 replies!) and edit my question.

Be careful in your answer. Apparently, there are strange files that can imbed into non-diablo files on ur drive from downloading this kind of file, and are hard to remove. One of the posts I read said dont give instructions on how to use it or any specific links to it. That's not what I want to know. Maybe one way out is just to exit from these 'lag spike' games, it doesnt take long to find out that u are in one....

These lag hacks usually clear up after a few weeks or couple of months. A few years ago, one was so bad it made the game very choppy, and there were stories about items disappearing from ladder chars, and if u tried to mule them to safety, u couldn't cuz the games were going down all the time, especially if it detected u were dropping items on the ground and exiting. Alot of ppl I know considered quitting D2 then, some did but came back in a few months after the dust settled...

8. sardoniclysane

sardoniclysane Banned

It won't include trojans because the regular extrawork .dll is a packet being sent out by blizzard.

The extra work 86.dll however, is a patch for it... It's something that most people here won't ever have to dl. As from what I can gather, the .dll won't effect most of the players here.

It is harmless. However it may be one of the reasons for the lag, since they are sending out an extra packet to our computers...

I don't think it is, but at least it's a theory.

9. gammer

gammer IncGamers Member

well i hate the lag spikes but i can only guess that its from to many ppl in the game or it just could be from the new patch thats coming out theres going to be a new act and a new boss. Shes an andy wanna be she looks just like andy.Go to www.battle.net to see the sceernshots there cool. :D

10. Fearlessone

While I usually play with 6-8 ppl, I have gotten these 10-20 second lag spikes in single person games too. So that means it isnt one person in the game using a hack on the rest of the people in the game.

Someone who seemed to be in the know warned us that Blizzard was going to be doing server maintenance. This was about 2 weeks ago, a full week before blizzard announced that all realms would be down today, Monday August1st, for maintenance. So patch 1.11 is now reality. But did blizzard also fix the lag spikes....stay tuned.

11. Taft12

Taft12 IncGamers Member

For me anyway, I was getting bad lag spikes (USEast Classic Ladder) Sunday and Monday before the patch went live. Monday night was quite smooth - so far so good.

I didn't check, but the thing in the patch readme about hirelings being 1-4 levels below yours... does that mean you'll be able to hire high-level mercs in whatever act you're in? That's at least something that affects Classic that I can see (although mercs will still suck). The bug fixes are nice, but no balance changes at all, I don't think there ever will be any more changes to skills, synergies, etc.

12. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

I think that's what it means. You may be able to change mercs in mid act, if you're unhappy with your previous choice. Then you only have to level him a few instead of many.

13. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

yeah but I think mercs are still next to useless in classic.
    losing them changing acts and unable to change gear makes them extremely fragile and expensive crutches

14. Punkonjunk

Punkonjunk IncGamers Member

Mercs are great, specially with there lvls now. I've got an act 2 merc with a great yari on him (unique) bramble, and this unique death mask, with a 40/15 in it. HE owns in PVP, if I chose not to participate.

15. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

That's true. But there are specific situations where I want a merc, even in classic. Act 1 Countess area,where you get a bunch of Dark Archers, and act 2 sewers, and act three flayer jungle. There are usually many monsters in these areas and it is useful to have a tank who can live for a little while to take some fire for you.

16. Classics

Classics IncGamers Member

Umm, that's in the Expansion Pack. The word 'Classic' for Diablo II would relate to just plain Diablo II, not Lord of Destruction.