Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WTF? The new ebay horror?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by SinfulSlave, Mar 11, 2004.

1. SinfulSlave

SinfulSlave Banned

WTF? The new ebay horror?

Check out this link

That cant be real, right?
    If it is...
    :hanky:

2. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

If it's just a "guesser" there's nothing to be afraid of. If it guesses and then tries every password by trying to connect to Battle.net Blizzard can stop it.

3. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

Dunno, could be a scam. Be pretty easy to whip up some frames in vbasic, screenie them, add some color/text.
    I thought b.net auto disc'd you after several password attempts, so it couldn't be bf'd?

4. Color_Wolf

Color_Wolf IncGamers Member

From what i read in some hacking sites, no one will sell a private working dupe/hack method for less than 500 bucks, since a method gone public = a method gone, and they can make way more money by keeping the method secret and sell items they gained.

So in conclusion, it's a scam.

5. SinfulSlave

SinfulSlave Banned

Ahh good!
    Yay!
    :clap:

6. muteownz

muteownz IncGamers Member

thats just stupid... tries every password?.. and what i wana know is how did you find that? what exactly did you search for? heh. alls i can say is dont make ur pw like 123456 or orange etc. :)

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!

8. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Wow, a brute force hacker.

Newsflash: security, particularly passwords etc is not about making something unbreakable. It's about making something not cost-effective to break.

So this thing "guesses every password" huh. Let me guess - does it run through a dictionary first? And then start with "a" and go to "aa" then "aaa" then "aaaa" then... finally.. the dreaded "aaaaaaaaaaaab"!!!!

By the time this thing guesses the password on my account, 1.11 will have come out and World of Warcraft will have gone gold.

I could seriously write one of these myself in half an hour. Over a long enough timeline, the success rate of any brute force hacker that tries every mathematical combination is 100%. But don't expect it to succeed inside your lifetime for any intelligent (eg. non-dictionary word) password.

9. SinfulSlave

SinfulSlave Banned

I like to scan ebay, some of the wild auctions make me giggle. Like watching people spend 100 bucks for an ethereal skullders on ladder, knowing that the eth bug wont work when they upgrade it. :lol:
    Ahh good times.
    That link was in the "special" section that is stickied at the top, Not sure what it is called. :scratch:

10. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

This is ********. If a brute force password guesser can guess your 'abc123' password then you deserve to lose your account. The guy selling this is an idiot! "It uses proxies, so it never uses your IP address!!" and what exactly does is use to connect to the proxy server? Even if the proxy's are annonymous, ever heard of carnavore? "So it's physically impossible to get caught!" I'd love to see someone physically catch me through the internet. :) And then he's charging for a list of annonymous proxy's??????? I'll tell ya what; if anyone's going to buy this, with the 32k proxy's, give me your 200$, 10 seconds, and a connection to google and I'll give you the list of anon proxy's. Just as a side note, I run password crackers at work (unix admin, making sure people don't pick easy ones) and in order to 'guess' a password (other than some very easy one ex. abc123) it takes a long, long time. If the password 'cracker' that he is using just looks at a dictionary file with word combo's in it it would take forever, if it's a 'good' brute forcer, and systimaticly goes through every character in the ascii set, eventually he would get a working combo, but since blizzard stops you from trying to log in after 4 failed attempts from one IP, that means with the 32k proxy's he'd have 128000 trys to get in. I doubt that's enough to get him past the letter A as a username.

All I can say is .. if your password is 'password' or 'abc' or 'abc123' congratulations on haveing not been guessed yet.. and change your frikken password now!!!

11. daskidude

daskidude Banned

that is bad if it is real. also, i think that the other + deals, will help people want to buy it.

12. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

No, it's not bad if it's real. In fact, it's almost no threat, except in the case of the simplest and most stupid (guessable) passwords imaginable.

13. Wolfwind

Wolfwind IncGamers Member

Only one thing it can be.

DICTIONARY PROGRAM! ^_^

Does all the stuff above, guesses passwords, and can process up to five queries at once.

Drawback is you have to type in all the passwords yourself. XD

14. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

To my knowledge, there are 36 possibilities for any character in a password. 36^10 is a big number. I *know* that Blizzard wouldn't be so f'ing stupid as to not put a login rate limiter to avoid the *most* obvious method of password determination imaginable.

15. Color_Wolf

Color_Wolf IncGamers Member

pw are case sensitive, so try 72 instead.

16. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Forgive me if I don't feel threatened by a brute force account cracker :)

17. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

I'm not *quite* sure if you're being arrogant in your reply, but regardless, if this is the case, then there are 10 + 26*2 = 62 possibilities, assuming numerals aren't subject to their case-changing rules, which may or may not be true. There are then other characters that may also be allowed.

It's really beside the point, and I didn't expect anyone to take my number of 36 as hard-and-fast truth, and don't think I claimed that I was making such an assertion. The point is that unless your password is <4 characters in length, then you don't have much to worry about.

18. th5418

th5418 Banned

If it IS real, my pass is still imperviable

19. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

My pass is like ôÆ$6?481ˆOÒì°‹

20. luuuucifer

luuuucifer IncGamers Member

What's your acct name dracoy? lol

The funny thing is that if you look at the guy's feedback, he has actually managed to sell 2 of these so far...