Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

WTF is this?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by LMRTie, Feb 5, 2004.

1. LMRTie

LMRTie IncGamers Member

WTF is this?

Sometimes when i play diablo, all of a sudden the other chars and monsters around me stop moving. I cant do anything from that moment except walking around and shooting (cant hit anything but he). Is this lag? Or is my comp. I have a brand new, good computer with adsl internet. So why does this happen? And can I do anything about it, because it makes me have to save and exit and when i return to the game, it appears I've died. It costs me a lot of gold (dieing and reviveing merc) and more important, it costs me a lot of precious exp.

Thanks in advance, ps. I want to complement you with this site. No shitty answers, fast reply's. A very good Forum, the best I think.

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

This is almost certainly what's referred to as lag - your connection with the server gets interrupted, thus you can't interact with anything, but other things can still hit (and kill) you without any warning.

This has (usually) very little to do with how good your computer is, or how good your connection is - quite frequently it will just be caused by the load on the Bnet servers (especially with people creating massive strings of games to end up on a specific server...)

3. Taurgon

Taurgon IncGamers Member

That is the very reason that I started playing Single Player. I used to just shut down all background programs and the lag was managable, but for some reason when the patch came out it became unbearable.

4. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Either it's lag, or the game crashed. I'd exit the game ASAP either way.

5. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

Hey, everyone said good points but there is more to it than that.

In game type /fps
    At the top the game will start displaying some statistics.
    There are 4 data types shown. I forget waht they are called off hand. Lol.
    '

STEP1: The top right cornor signifies your connection speed. The lower the better. If it spikes up and down then its definitely a connection problem. The best way to do verify where the origin of this error is, is to ping a well known site. Believe it or not, YAHOO has a reputable server. So ping them. THat is go to run on your windows menu. After clicking "RUN", a dialog box appears. Type "CMD" to get a command line prompt window. Within this window type "PING -T www.Yahoo.com". If the both your connection to Yahoo and to BNET spikes up and down, then you know its you/your service provider. Otherwise move to step 2
    EDIT: If just bnet is spiking then its obvious.

STEP2: The top left one, I think frames per second is based on your video card. you see Diabloii has 25 frames a second. If your frames rate goes below that means your video card is not processing information correctly. That could be due to anything. However, we can narrow it down more. Since you did STEP1 you know its not connection so if your frames per second 25+/# has a skip frames listed, then its your video card most likely. you can stop here unless you want to go further. 25+ is good. If #>0 bad. It could be something else read below.

STEP3: See hardware today is semi-complicated. SOme video cards have shared memory. Tip to new computer buyers. That is crap. Shared means instead of having its own ram on the video card, its shared with the RAM your comp uses. Basically if you have 256 RAM and your video card says 128 shared. That means your video card borrows up to 128 RAM at times because it has none of its own. Ouch sucky. Can you say, "read the fine print". Anyhow, because of this and other issues your video card may be performing properly yet your game is loading poorly. That is the game relies on your proccesor, ram, and video card. If you want to know wether its your video card, ram, or proccesor then there are two other dispalys listed or more than one of these.

One is the PAGE which refers to how your RAM. If your page size goes incredibly high then you must suck and have cheap ram. Yes RAM has a speed of its own. Either way whatever the cause you lack RAM on your comp. Or it could mean your Operating system sucks. For peak performance alot of people I know reformat there comp and start over because when you use your comp heavily, things keep getting added to your system registry, think of it as "brain cells" Your comps brain cells soemtimes get overloaded and wiping your comp and reinstalling stuff new helps performance. OS controls your RAM performance, OS=operating system. The 2nd easiest problem to spot in the ahrdware section, step3

The other is PHYSICAL or PHY which refers to your procc/bus/cache/hard drive/etc. Reason why I cant narrow it down is cause the physical memory is affected by everything above. #/#. The 1st # is what your using up. THe 2nd # is what you have available. Obvious. The easiest one to spot in this section.

EDIT:: So if its not your proccesor, not your ram, not your connection and your freezing alot and the frames are below 25 and your skipping --->Video
    get it?

Hope taht helps.

I wont go into details about the 2 above because I think it would take a long time and because I think just staring at them you'd know.