Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wow my 1st virus threat!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Corneo, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Wow my 1st virus threat!

Wow I got an email from some one I didn't know (some guy from the physics department at my college). It came with an attachment, it didn't even cross my mine to stop and thing what kind of attachment this is from a total stranger. Wow boom, Norton pops up and stops the virus. I have emailed the person and told them about the incident. Norton says that common w32blahblah virus that has been spreading around. Should I update Norton and run a full system check right now to be sure?

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

well you should always keep it updated and check periodically, but I don't, most people don't, but I would definitely recommend it now while you feel the need and before you forget to be concerned, one of these days I should get crackin' on that

3. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

don't open email attachments. especially from people you do not know or from unfamiliar email addresses. and yes, run liveupdate and get the latest virus definitions, and do a full system scan. just to be safe. there's a nasty new virus out, MyDoom B, i think it's called.

4. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Yeah that new virus the mydoom one, it was a worm I think, but it ate alot of peoples comps... Going around through email//kazaa. Sucks if you got it.

5. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

The other day, I got 4 e-mails with virus attachment during the same day through my company e-mail. Fortunately, the virus scanner caught all of them. They were from strangers that I didn't know, and I would have never opened them up anyway.

And I didn't e-mail them back about it because I figured their computers were infected, and their computers were sending out these mindless e-mails without their knowing about them.

6. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Note also that it probably didn't come from the guy whose address was in the "from" field. Lots of viruses these days spoof that to make things fun for all involved. (Fun as in "people keep telling me my Macs are infected with a Windows-only bug dozens of times a week" fun.)