Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wow. Ladder RW's are powerful. Too powerful... :/

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Drystan, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Wow. Ladder RW's are powerful. Too powerful... :/

Ok, so my sorc is having mana troubles like always, not that I mind, (potions are awesome,) and I was wondering how an Insight would work. I'm now RWM'd! and ... it is truly overpowered. She does not run out of mana while spamming blizzard!
    I don't know if that's the best weapon to put Insight in, but it works. I didn't note the strength requirement, so my merc had to put on Andy's Visage (replacing Tal's) to get the str requirements.

Insight
    Superior Colossus Voulge
    'RalTirTalSol'
    Two-Hand Damage: 69 to 587
    Durability: 55 of 56
    Required Dexterity: 55
    Required Strength: 210
    Required Level: 48
    Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0xe5a18492
    +5 to Strength
    +5 to Energy
    +5 to Dexterity
    +5 to Vitality
    +256% Enhanced Damage [4% off perfect]
    +3 to Attack Rating
    +9 to Minimum Damage
    Adds 5-30 fire damage
    +75 poison damage over 5 seconds
    Increase Maximum Durability 11%
    23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +3 to Critical Strike
    35% Faster Cast Rate
    213% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +2 to Mana After Each Kill
    Level 15 Meditation Aura When EquippedSocketed (4: 4 used)

Anyway, now I understand how overpowered it is. Four very cheap runes, for something with huge damage and huge mana recovery. I don't know if I want to make a Spirit shield now. It's just too big an advantage.
    I don't know what to say though. It's powerful, but too powerful it's a negative thing for me. :undecided:

Anyone else feel the same way when they made their first one? Or opinions?

2. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Great one you have!!! Cool!

3. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Yeah, even without the Meditation I think it´s far too powerful. Especially when you play untwinked, where that damage blows the hat off everything else in early NM. It´s not at all hard to find a non-magical Bill and put sockets in it with Ral + Amn + PAmethyst (50% chance to get 4 sockets). Then you just need a Sol rune as well, and you have damage like on a Cruel Bill long before you are supposed to see that kind of damage on a weapon (IMO).

Cruel damage for a Sol rune, it just doesn´t make sense...

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I agree with jiansonz.

If you want to go untwinked, it's kindof like cheating (but given our perception of BNet's economy these overpowered RW's fit right in - especially since that's what these runewords were designed for). Although I recently installed RWM, my opinion is that these items should only be used to maximize a build that runs targets.

For example, I need to rebuild my Countess-runner now so that I can dump my Lidless Wall and equip a 35% Spirit. The additional 15%FCR will make the 200% breakpoint much more flexible. In my case (with possesion of a 20% FCR crafted ammy), I can drop an FCR ring and wear my SoJ, and also switch the wiz-spike for an Eschuta's. I may loose 75% resists, but I'm gaining +5 skills and 25% mana pool. Since the Countess is about speed and offense, that's a huge benefit.

... too bad I'm burned out on the Countess, atm. :rolleyes:

5. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Sorry for this, but what RW are you making? Ral + Amn + Sol?
    Or what does Ral + Amn + PAmeth do? Is it a socketing recipe?
    Sol is the highest you need for this, and yet I have about 4 lying in a mule, along with Shael's and other low'ish runes. Yet for a Sol, you can get 260% damage.

:smiley: That's the problem. It's too great, for such cheap runes. I think it'll make it too much easier.
    It's weird. I feel disappointed that it's too good, that there won't be a challenge with mana anymore. Not sure, but for me, I really enjoy challenges, strategy, chess etc.

EDIT: @Sirpoopsalot
    Well, she's already a Guardian, so she's done what she was meant for. Now she'll be more for rune finding LK, (not countess,) and Hell meph (maybe.)

6. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Well, does this one work with 1.11b non-ladder also? (with RWM)..

7. lachen

lachen IncGamers Member

Yeah, it's the weapon socketing recipe.

I agree that they are quite powerful, that's why most of the time when I use a RWM runeword, I use it after I've M/Patriarched the character, or got them to wherever I wanted to get them in the game. They're like a .. reward, I guess. (not that I have a whole lot of them available, given my rune luck I only have Duress, Obedience, and Insight) /end blabbering

@Suiling - RWM enables all of the ladder-only runewords in SP.

@Drystan (below) - Haha, sorry.. I had a brainfart.

8. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

@Suiling
    Insight is a ladder only RW, and RWM allows all Ladder only recipes.
    Hope that clears things up. :)

Edit: Ignore this, Lachen's editting his post and removed the "Ignore this" comment. :)

9. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Most b.netters lust after Ethereal Sup. Collossus Voulge for there end game insights. For the higher damage of course, but also for the -10 Str requirements of Eth items.

Personly I'm happy with Threashers, or Great Poleaxes, as they are less requirment demanding, and more common.

Don't forget you can put it in an Elder Staff (or better yet, an Eth. Sup. Elder Staff) and equip it on your PvP chargers. Making for a decent max damage, and a very similar min damage. Place it on switch (because the mh'ers on b.net can scan your equipment), act really dumb until someone agrees to duel you, leave town, press 'w', charge, collect ear.

I have a question also, I'm a little worried about asking it because I think you guys are going to get all worked up and angry, and basicly shun me out of your forum but... Why do you guys have such a great and complete loathing of b.netters?

-hps

10. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

"b.netter" in this case is a term used to define the stereotypical immature, ignorant, unintelligent and-so-forth individual, which covers a major part of the realm-population, also known as a n00b

11. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

A comon enemy is a great nation building tool :)

12. IceViper

IceViper IncGamers Member

I tought the reason why Col. Voulge is are mostly used is because they are easier to get. This due to getting the right number of sockets by the socket quest and not having the gamble with the cube receipt turning up a useless number of sockets.

13. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Damn, pity it wasn't Eth! What's an Elder Staff? Never seen one of them. Dueling with a HC char? Hmmm. Interesting idea :rolleyes:

I may seem loathing of b.netters, but I just don't understand them. They astound me with their "Need 'Nigma's" and other godly items. Eth BotD's, nigma's, Torches, Annih. You don't need all that. Half the time, your party may be taking more damage than you anyway.

With the Torch/Annih, I'm just jealous that B.netters have the challenge and difficulty of Ubers, AND a great reward!!! while blizz completely forget about us.

Also, when the idea of having the ladder only RW's enabled by blizzard in SP, many b.netters argue that we shouldn't.
    Why not? We get the same monster difficulty and AI as Ladder players, we have to deal with immunities ourselves, we can't call a friend to join up and help us out, and we find our items (some trade, but I'd prefer self-found on my HC's.)
    Yes, we get a stable map, but that is nothing compared to thousands of people each running a boss and trading. We may have quicker runs, but overall, B.netters get more items, due to more people running at one time.

Just my opinion as you asked.

14. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Actually, you don't have the same monster difficulty as Ladder.

If I am not mistaken Ladder monsters have more life and are faster as non-Ladder and SP.

EDIT: Checking the AS the monsters only seem to be faster on NM & Hell, no hitpoints increase.

15. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

It´s an elite Gnarled Staff (has base weapon speed of 0, and very low STR requirement for an elite weapon).

Yeah, or at least getting good odds for it with the recipe (50%).

16. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

If I am not mistaken, there was a thread somewhere here which discovered we have the same as the Ladder AI. It was said that this belief that ladder and SP being different is a common mistake.

Damn... Convenient that I can't find it now. Am I going loopy guys? Does someone else remember this thread?

EDIT:

Woohoo!!!! I'm NOT CRAZY!!! :prop: *does a backflip*

From: Are SP Monsters Stupid, by Frostburn @ http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=486948&highlight=ladder+monsters+single+player

17. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

SORRY! posting it in my first.

18. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Well, I'll play devil's advocate, and say that I don't think Insight is all that overpowered. Do I think it'd be better if one of the runes were a little more expensive? Sure, something in the Dol-Ko range might even it up bit. But consider:

1. No leech, which leaves you with your helmet and possibly your armor as the only sources of leech for your merc. It's hard to get enough there to really be useful.

2. No IAS or CB. The critical strike is nice, but I wouldn't trade it for something more useful. All other bonuses (with the exception of the MF, which is small) are completely useless to a merc.

3. The aura is powerful, but meditation (like all mana regen) disproportionately benefits characters with a large mana pool. On my blizz-nova sorc and on my warcry barb, it works wonders, because both have tons of mana. On my LF zon, and my FO/FB sorc, who have more typical mana pools, Insight is a waste of time.

I'm assuming obviously that people are using this as a merc weapon. For other uses, I can't pretend to have experimented. But I've used Insight on about five characters, and on three of them I stripped it off for something else (Kelpie, usually) and was happier without it.

19. FlimFlan

FlimFlan IncGamers Member

I just made Fortitude, and I like it. Right now in NM it is overpowered, but we shall see in Hell. In fact, the only reason I installed the RWM was to make this armor. I am even going to make an Obedience Great Poleaxe to try out as opposed to my rare CV.

Hell is alot more difficult in 1.11 than it is in 1.09, so better items should be available. I don't have as much time to play D2 as others, so I want to make use of the items I find. If it takes the RWM to do it, so be it.

Fortitude
    Wire Fleece
    'ElSolDolLo'
    Defense: 1446
    Durability: 32 of 32
    Required Strength: 111
    Required Level: 59
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 90
    Fingerprint: 0x4928a602
    +200% Enhanced Defense
    +300% Enhanced Damage
    +15 Defense
    Damage Reduced by 7
    Fire Resist +25%
    Lightning Resist +25%
    +5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
    Cold Resist +25%
    Poison Resist +25%
    Replenish Life +7
    +1 to Light Radius
    25% Faster Cast Rate
    12% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
    20% Chance to cast Level 15 Chilling Armor when struck
    +62 to Life (Based on Character Level)
    Socketed (4: 4 used)

20. FreakII

FreakII IncGamers Member

I managed to get this one, it's pretty cool.
    No it's part of the game. It helps for the mercs :)

yes it's very strong for very little of low runes. but hey who cares. it make one hell of a merc wepon.

I have this one :)

Insight
    Colossus Voulge
    'RalTirTalSol'
    Two-Hand Damage: 63 to 526
    Durability: 46 of 50
    Required Dexterity: 55
    Required Strength: 210
    Required Level: 48
    Polearm Class - Slow Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 66