Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Would you play build x without equipment y?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ergroilnin, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin IncGamers Member

The title is kinda generic so let me rephrase it a bit.

Would you play a specific build without a specific runeword/unique/set?

There are many builds that are generally very strong or entertaining but without certain equip (let's face it, it's Enigma for the biggest part) are either just decent or can even be seriously annyoing to play.

Easiest examples to come out of mind are enigma-less Hammerdin and Windy druid. Those builds simply need their positioning to be just right to be efficient that playing them without teleport is really an annoyance at a times.

Are there any builds like that for you? And what item is stopping you from playing it?

2. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

I'm not really interested to play this game without having certain farming goal (aka I'm not into having fun with crap equipment running around, questing etc), so pretty much any build without Enigma is no-go to me, with exception of sorceress. Only other build I would play without Enigma is bowazon, but then again I wouldn't bother playing her with less than 120 frw or whatever cause she feels too slow otherwise. Perhaps cow javazon could work too without Enigma, but lol cows.
    As we are at it, I'm not sure would I play ANY character without BO buff (I correct myself, I do play LK sorc without BO cause she does not need it anyway). Moar life and mana plz, ty. Unless I need to farm runes for CtA first, then LK sorc until I farm that before hitting anything else in the game (yes, I'm hardcore farmer if I need to farm something :p)

But apart from that stuff, there are certain finesses I'm not willing to pass. I would not try berserker barb without Grief of any kind, I would rather do 5k LK runs first to get 2 Ohms or Lo to make Grief before building him.

I wouldn't bother with lightning sorc without Infinity cause blizzard sorc is just too good then for my goals.

I can't possibly imagine myself playing smiter of any kind unless I'm into level 99, but if I would be playing one, then no way I would do it without having Grief weapon first.

I wouldn't play singer barb and poison necro without Insight either on my merc or as golem. I mean, seriously. Captain obvious. :p

Who knows what could I possibly think of, but that's it for now.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    pharphis likes this.
  3. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

My answer is: Probably not.

My position is similar to grip in many ways, because I do strive for efficiency to at least some extent. Ofc, I do like stylish builds, especially if I feel that I've crafted them myself (FoHer is basically unused for pvm but it's like a less boring blizz sorc to me for AT... CE nihl-running necro!).

All of these things require enigma, which even without teleport is a great armor piece for MFing (45 frw anyone?)

4. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

My answer is a resounding YES. I try to play builds both before and after awesome gear. It's like a whole different game.

I don't have a Chaos claw so I don't have a WW Sin. I think that's it.

5. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Not for MF or something like that no, but if I was playing a character for fun then I would for sure. Neither hammerdins or windy druids require enigma to be effective, just to be optimal. For me personally, optimum gets boring awfully quickly :p

6. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

All of the builds I really like do not require any specific items to work properly, so yes I would play them. With the small exception of the Hammerdin which is completely pointless without Enigma.

On the other hand I like optimizations and stuff, so see the post by @Gripphon.

7. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

I think there are players on either end of the spectrum. Those who like untwinked, single-pass type play are always having to do without nice gear. I gravitate toward the less optimized builds that aren’t really that expensive, but are instead more a novelty build. Sometimes these require higher level RW like Infinity or Faith, but these can be gotten fairly easily by farming LK. Actually, my only character that used Enigma (Frenzybarb) didn’t really rank that high on the enjoyability meter for me, so I am probably the odd one out here.

8. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

That is because Fenzy barbs are unenjoyable. Plop that nigma on a summoner and bombs away!

9. Maltatai

Maltatai IncGamers Member

I always play untwinked but often try to find some specific Equipment, but more in the line of certain colors and other things than a specific item. And definitely not for effectiveness sake.

10. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Enigma is so OP that I refuse to use it during standard play. The only reason I have one at all is that it is just about impossible to compete in the MFO without it. I've also got a CtA rusting away in a stash that I refuse to use too. Leaving the OP gear out of the equation, half the fun I get from a build is the planning stage. Usually before I start a build I already have all the equipment that I need in a stash and I've calculated how to distribute my stat points so that they are at the right level and the correct time.

BBS_Agonistes likes this.
  11. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

I will play pretty much any build even with crap equipment. Because I play softcore, I don't care if I have negative resists or low HP or whatever, it doesn't bother me. There are a few builds that I'm glad I had the right equipment (like Trav barb) just for speed efficiency and fewer deaths, but it doesn't stop me. I still don't have Enigma, Grief, or Infinity, and I can run any target in the game.

EDIT: Okay I won't play a pure lightning sorc without Infinity. But I prefer Blizz sorcs anyway.

12. Interdasting

Interdasting IncGamers Member

I'll play anything (barring some builds which require gear, like WWSin). The goal is fun, even if I'm farming bosses for hours on end, it's about fun. I avoid Sorc as much as possible because once I get teleport, I tend to become more focused on efficiency and not fun, and that's boring!

13. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Since I never twink or rerun areas/bosses, yes, of course!
    So a few builds won't happen (Werebear non-Druids, Whirlwind Assassin, Wolfbarb etc.), or at least they will not be planned from the start.

14. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I both power game and play under powered builds.

When I joined the forum (almost 10 years ago now!) underpowered builds were the norm. Very few people had Any rune word above CtA, let alone infinity, enigma etc. Proper questing, without optimal builds, is still interesting for me.

15. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

It is very interesting to play the game without twinking and proper equipment. But since I have all the big runewords now, I enjoy playing with them. Why they should rot in a stash?

To the OP: I do both, and I enjoy both of them. With crap gear I enjoy fighting and getting a better piece of equipment. With endgame gear I enjoy the challenge to beat the game at higher player settings/get faster etc.

16. Grishnakh

Grishnakh IncGamers Member

I'm facing this question right now. I restarted four months back. I loved barbs, but have yet to get an Arreat's. I've done more pits/pindle/meph than I care to admit, I think I might say to heck with it and make something like a telezerker with a shako.

17. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

You can live without Arreats, a good (pair of) weapon (s) is more important. Interesting btw, I had to farm for months till I had one dropped. I have the same bad luck with Herald of Zakarum.

18. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

On HoZ, Arreat's and other mid-level uniques: quest-bugged Andy is the way to go.

19. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Finding an Arreat's is simple: start looking for a HoZ. You'll find three Arreat's before you know it!

TheNix and SunsetVista like this.
  20. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Use a Guillaume's Face.